Would you risk your life to save your dog?

06 Jun 2010 15:04 #11 by CC
Absolutely!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Jun 2010 16:49 #12 by Essexgirlinthemountains
I'm with Serenity, JMC and LopingAlong. It would be automatic, no thought required.

06 Jun 2010 18:08 #13 by major bean
A human - yes! A dog - no.

Regards,
Major Bean

06 Jun 2010 18:09 #14 by RCCL
I'm on of the minority on the other side of the fence. I wouldn't risk my life for an animal, not matter how much I have loved my past pets! I care a great deal for animals, but am incapable of equating them to family. It's nothing against those who do... just not something I do!

Either way, a tragic story!

06 Jun 2010 21:12 #15 by kentucky jan
At the risk of sounding cold and hard-hearted, my answer is no also. During one of the wildfires I went through while living in Bailey, I had a choice of accepting a ride out and leaving my cats, because there wouldn't have been room for them. I didn't have my own vehicle at the time (our truck lived at the airport while Honey was travelling) so, while I love my cats, I would have had to choose leaving them so I could stay alive for my husband, sons and grandsons. The choice seemed clear to me.

06 Jun 2010 21:18 #16 by pineinthegrass
The story reminds me of one that happened 10 yrs ago, but instead of cold water it was very hot water.

A couple of dogs jumped into the very hot and remote Double Hot Springs in the Black Rock desert of northern Nevada. A lady dived in and later died from burns. A male friend also dived in and ended up with 2nd and 3rd degree burns. The dogs didn't make it.

My dogs are very important to me, but I just can't see doing that. But on the other hand, you aren't always aware of the risks involved. I've been to those springs, and at first glance they don't look dangerous.

07 Jun 2010 07:20 #17 by Nobody that matters
No. I'd never risk having my kids grow up fatherless for the sake of an animal.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

07 Jun 2010 08:02 #18 by pacamom
I would want to jump in after my dumb dog, but I wouldn't. And I've seen those signs up in Larimer Cty. The problem is, those canals run underground for a long time. Not only is it cold, but I don't think anyone could hold their breath that long.

07 Jun 2010 08:24 #19 by DrMike
Tough question, and some great answers. i would have to say no, dogs can swim a lot better then I can in a fast moving river or high stream. My daughter would be upset if I wasn't around. Wayne the picture of that sign put some fear in me, I almost drowned as a 5 year old in a lake. Great answers everyone!

07 Jun 2010 09:08 #20 by TPP
We MUST define a dog.
I dog is an ANIMAL, that loves unconditionally, and when you’re standing fully up right, and put your hand out you can pet it’s head.

Any “dog” smaller than that is bait.

I agree with most here.

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds