Question/request for the scanner team.

06 Jun 2010 15:26 #1 by Grady
I know the USFS still uses Township/Range coordinates. Most of the rest of us use one variation or another of lat/longitude coordinate systems. LAT/Long number are easy to throw up on Google Maps, Google Earth, most handheld GPS receivers.
I have 2 questions or requests, 1. Does anybody know how to, or even if you can enter Township/Range Coords into Google Earth? (note there might be a way but not available on the free version of Google Earth). 2. When we get a fire report can we get it in one of the Lat/long systems, WGS84, UTM etc ?
thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Jun 2010 15:36 #2 by jf1acai
I try to provide maps using lat/lon when I can.

Here is a handy converter from legal to lat/lon.

Hope that helps!

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

06 Jun 2010 17:55 #3 by CC
I like the google maps also Grady. You can see where structures are in relationship to a fire.. We are still working things out. We do need a skilled mapper to help out. Heck.....we need all kinds of help LOL. (but that is another thread).
Thanks for the suggestion. It is a good one and we will work hard to provide maps for everyone.

07 Jun 2010 07:45 #4 by Grady
thanks, for the response. Let me know if I can help

07 Jun 2010 07:53 #5 by CC
Are you pretty good at maps?
Our scanner team needs someone who can search maps and put them up in a hurry. Not something we would have to do daily as a rule but in an emergency.
W could use several folks to help out in an ER.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds