Health Insurance ?

27 Dec 2010 13:10 #1 by abc
Health Insurance ? was created by abc
Recently my husband's company changed their policy and now will not provide health insurance to a spouse if the spouse can buy a policy through their own company. I can purchase a policy through my company. The few plans offered by my very small company are very expensive so I have been researching other options online. It appears that I can purchase a single person plan from Anthem or Rocky Mountain Health and pay less than I would through my company's plan. Has anyone purchased health insurance on their own like this? Any guidance, comments, suggestions, etc are greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Dec 2010 15:35 #2 by Mr Peabody
Replied by Mr Peabody on topic Health Insurance ?
This is a good site to compare policies and prices. I think the price will be the same whether you buy it online or go through an agent. So if you find something you like then you could call a local agent to sign up for it.
https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/

27 Dec 2010 16:11 #3 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Health Insurance ?
I have always had individual health plans as i was self employed. Two things you need to keep in mind if you buy your own insurance, One, the insurance will require a health questionaire, if you have a pre-existing condition they can deny coverage, give you coverage but not cover that condition, or have a waiting period before that condition is covered. It can be something as simple as allergies that they will deny coverage on. (this will change when/if the new federal health plan takes effect in a couple years) Two....you have little control over what the insurance company does with an individual policy. I had Rocky Mtn Health Plans for years, I like them a lot, but when they decided they didn't want to offer those particular policies any more they doubled the premiums, then offered me a different plan at lower cost but i would have to re-qualify. I switched to Anthem, liked them too, but my rates that seemed reasonable when I started, went up a lot over the 3 years I had them, my last rate increase was 30%. You literally have no recourse when you buy your own plan, unlike group plans even from small businesses. I'm happily on medicare now.

I did find that an agent can be very helpful sorting through all the options, they have knowledge of both the companies and their plans. The premium is the same if you use an agent or not.

Also....if you go with RMHP keep in mind that they are local and only cover emergencies out of state. Anthem will cover you in any state they have BC/BS if you go to an in-network doctor, even if just a doctors visit for a cold.

27 Dec 2010 22:42 #4 by Mr Peabody
I just checked https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ for rates. Only two companies showed up, Last time I looked there where 5 or 6 companies. Apparently Obama's health care policy is servicing us well

27 Dec 2010 22:59 #5 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Health Insurance ?

Mr Peabody wrote: I just checked https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ for rates. Only two companies showed up, Last time I looked there where 5 or 6 companies. Apparently Obama's health care policy is servicing us well

:rofl

Must have been a while since you did some checking.....3 years ago when I was shopping for health Insurance I had a choice between 3 companies. One of which has since stopped offering individual plans as they are losing money on them......premiums are so high because there is a higher risk with individual plans......once the individual mandate goes through the risk will be spread over a larger number of individuals, including those who are healthier and younger, and premiums will most likely go down.

I know its fun to blame the new health plan for everything wrong with healthcare....but these problems existed long before Obama became president......if you can't get insurance through your employer there have been few choices for the self-employed or those who work part-time. And those choices are, for the most part, far more costly than what is available through an employer for similar coverage.

28 Dec 2010 12:04 #6 by AV8OR
Replied by AV8OR on topic Health Insurance ?
Assurant Health, a big individual carrier, is pulling out of Colorado. This lessens the pool.

28 Dec 2010 12:48 - 28 Dec 2010 15:09 #7 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Health Insurance ?

abc wrote: ... I can purchase a policy through my company. The few plans offered by my very small company are very expensive....

Ehealthinsurance online is a good place to shop for prices, remember though the actual price you pay may be higher once you apply- depends on your stats/history. Also AARP has good rates for over 50 thru Aetna. Go to AARPs web site. I almost switched to them, but waited too long. Now we are past the grandfathered date.

If you are very very healthy go with a high deductable plan. But I would go with a work plan if you can get one, no qualification and more likely to pay claims. It may seem more expensive, but if you need it, you will get better coverage most likely. Individual policies start cheaper but they rise 20-30%/year and you are trapped. And you never know what they are really going to cover until you get sick. Good luck.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

28 Dec 2010 12:49 #8 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Health Insurance ?

Mr Peabody wrote: I just checked https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ for rates. Only two companies showed up, Last time I looked there where 5 or 6 companies. Apparently Obama's health care policy is servicing us well

Are you sure? There used to be a least a dozen HI companies on there with prices and plans? Its been a few months since I looked. United Health, Aetna, Cigna, RMHP, Celtic, Blue cross, etc. Several small ones did got swallowed up by United Health care a few years ago.

Edited:

This carrier is in the process of developing new plans/applications for the effective date that you selected.

Only RMHP and BlueCross show up. It looks like they are reworking plans due to both Fed and State law changes Jan 1.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

30 Dec 2010 17:15 #9 by abc
Replied by abc on topic Health Insurance ?
Thank you for all the information. Any suggestions for an agent in Conifer?

31 Dec 2010 09:19 #10 by Mr Peabody
I worked with Nate Wills. He isn't in Conifer,
but was very knowlegable and helpful.

[url=http://www.milehighbenefitsonline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]www.milehighbenefitsonline.com[/url]
Mile High Benefits
Nate Wills
303-978-0414 Office

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds