Bat in house

07 Jun 2010 09:12 #1 by RenegadeCJ
Bat in house was created by RenegadeCJ
We had a bad somehow enter our house, and my wife got scared to death as she was walking down the hall and the bat flew by her head. Never had a bat in the house before, but a quick check online (at midnight last night) said we needed to catch it, and get it tested for rabies, since it had been around our daughter, and us for an unknown time. It is now sitting in a plastic bin...

Anyone have this experience? Where do we get it tested? Do we need to keep it alive? I'm sad the poor thing has to die now that it got in our house, but according the the sites we checked, they said you shouldn't risk it, not knowing if it had rabies or not.

Any suggestions?

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Jun 2010 09:15 #2 by Sunshine Girl
Replied by Sunshine Girl on topic Bat in house

RenegadeCJ wrote: We had a bad somehow enter our house, and my wife got scared to death as she was walking down the hall and the bat flew by her head. Never had a bat in the house before, but a quick check online (at midnight last night) said we needed to catch it, and get it tested for rabies, since it had been around our daughter, and us for an unknown time. It is now sitting in a plastic bin...

Anyone have this experience? Where do we get it tested? Do we need to keep it alive? I'm sad the poor thing has to die now that it got in our house, but according the the sites we checked, they said you shouldn't risk it, not knowing if it had rabies or not.

Any suggestions?

:VeryScared: We have bats up here?!?

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

07 Jun 2010 09:25 #3 by RenegadeCJ
Replied by RenegadeCJ on topic Bat in house
Yep...although I've never seen one this close up. Amazing how flat it laid against the wall....

You want me to send it your way Sunshine????

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

07 Jun 2010 09:28 #4 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic Bat in house
Yes we do. We have an old sign on the side of the house, a couple of years ago we had a bat living between the sign and the house. We named him "Orkin" after the pest control company.

07 Jun 2010 09:29 #5 by Hoot Owl
Replied by Hoot Owl on topic Bat in house
You might want to call DOW. I agree that it is unfortunate it has to die, they are really functional creatures

07 Jun 2010 09:32 #6 by Sunshine Girl

RenegadeCJ wrote: Yep...although I've never seen one this close up. Amazing how flat it laid against the wall....

You want me to send it your way Sunshine????

rofllol rofllol rofllol Thanks, but I think I'm good. Wouldn't want to go batty ya know! lol

Orkin!?! That was too funny.

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

07 Jun 2010 09:59 #7 by DavisRanch
Replied by DavisRanch on topic Bat in house
I always just turn them loose. :)

07 Jun 2010 10:01 #8 by Sunshine Girl
LOL!!!!

07 Jun 2010 10:09 #9 by RenegadeCJ
Replied by RenegadeCJ on topic Bat in house

DavisRanch wrote: I always just turn them loose. :)

That was my initial reaction. Catch it, and send it on it's way. Way too many websites had a concern about rabies, especially if the bat has potentially been in a room with sleeping people. They would then recommend getting the rabies "prevention" shots, which I have heard are quite painful, and very expensive. If we hadn't been home, or didn't have a young daughter who was sleeping at the time, or if it were just me, I'd probably let it go.

07 Jun 2010 10:15 #10 by LopingAlong
Replied by LopingAlong on topic Bat in house
But rabies is transmitted by direct contact so I figure if it didn't bite me and if he isn't foaming at the mouth and chasing cars down the lane; he just squeezed into my house and is lost.....just me though, I'm not recommending anything.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds