Scanner Forum

08 Jun 2010 20:12 #11 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic Scanner Forum
Come on, folx, if it really would be better to keep it open, or there is any other way we can make the information more helpful, we would really like to know!

We don't post the info for our benefit, we already know! lol

We want to know how we can make it more helpful for you.

:Thanks:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Jun 2010 20:30 #12 by Blondie
Replied by Blondie on topic Scanner Forum
Can you keep an information thread and a conversation thread? We want to know what you know, succinctly and immediately. Can LEAP be included in the info thread?

08 Jun 2010 20:35 #13 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Scanner Forum

CinnamonGirl wrote: I like the idea of the scanner area only for professionals that know what they are listening to and know how to post. And the threads read easier. Then any discussion can be talked about in the CF. I am all about ease of reading.

I agree with CG, leave it to the pros. It is too important to risk misinformation.

One suggestion is to report accurate locations. Like " 1 mile north of Pine Junction" I have seen many posts on certain sites that say " fire at joe schmo drive" or "285 MM 220" and I dont have a freaking clue where exactly it is. Seems obvious that more clear description of location is needed.

Thats all, your efforts are much appreciated? I would help but all I can do is use the internet scanner for Sheriff at times, not full time. Thank you Thank you

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

08 Jun 2010 20:36 #14 by ShilohLady
Replied by ShilohLady on topic Scanner Forum
Not sure what you mean by LEAP ... if we knew we might be able to include it....

08 Jun 2010 20:38 #15 by CC
Replied by CC on topic Scanner Forum
Having a conversation thread is an interesting idea. I like it.
I am unsure what you mean by LEAP though. Could you explain that a little better?

08 Jun 2010 20:40 #16 by ShilohLady

Joe wrote: One suggestion is to report accurate locations. Like " 1 mile north of Pine Junction" I have seen many posts on certain sites that say " fire at joe schmo drive" or "285 MM 220" and I dont have a freaking clue where exactly it is. Seems obvious that more clear description of location is needed.

We will try to be more descriptive when we have the time however sometimes we're not exactly sure where 'joe schmo drive' is and we'd rather get the information we DO have out quickly and then provide better reference later. If the scanners are really busy as they can be at times, that clarifying information may just have to be skipped.

08 Jun 2010 20:43 #17 by CC
Replied by CC on topic Scanner Forum
Joe. Thanks for your comments.
If you don't see a more precise location at first....give us a little time to hunt it down. Very often, we are typing as we hear it live. I will try and go back and edit to a better location.
The mile markers are posted as a sticky at the top of the forum so if we don't get a better location quickly....you can rely on that in the short term.
We would be happy to have you even occasionally Joe so let us know if you ever want to help out ok.

08 Jun 2010 20:46 #18 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Scanner Forum
Thanks, I understand, and we can all use google maps too if there is enough detail. Thanks again.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

08 Jun 2010 20:51 #19 by Sunshine Girl
Replied by Sunshine Girl on topic Scanner Forum
What do you mean to volunteers only? Would that be yes?

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

08 Jun 2010 20:55 #20 by ShilohLady
A 'Yes' vote would mean that only those identified as Scanner Volunteers would be allowed to post in the Scanner forums. That would mean (at least for now) jf1acai, Becky, and myself but would be expanded to anyone else who has the ability and is willing to post what they hear on scanners. I suspect that if we did not previously know a new volunteer, we would ensure that they are aware of our 'Code of Ethics' such as not posting identifying information on crashes, not to post medical calls, to post vicinity only but not exact addresses for fires etc.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds