Scanner Forum

08 Jun 2010 20:56 #21 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Scanner Forum

Becky wrote: Joe. Thanks for your comments.
If you don't see a more precise location at first....give us a little time to hunt it down. Very often, we are typing as we hear it live. I will try and go back and edit to a better location.
The mile markers are posted as a sticky at the top of the forum so if we don't get a better location quickly....you can rely on that in the short term.
We would be happy to have you even occasionally Joe so let us know if you ever want to help out ok.

I know, understood, funny story, many years ago i was a volunteer fireman far far away from here. We had a rescue truck, with a crew inside the back, it had an aux radio mic and speaker for the fire channel. Well on the way back from a call, the mic got stuck open somehow. Lots of interesting colorful conversation got broadcasted on air (you know those fireman) LOL. It was kinda funny. I appereciate what you pros do. Thanks again.

Oh yeah, I have an old scanner too, not sure it works anymore though- have to dig it out. I think its analog. PS I think a sep conversation thread is good too.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Jun 2010 21:01 #22 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic Scanner Forum
Location information can be difficult. The location reported by the original Reporting Party (RP) is frequently somewhat inaccurate, but in the interest of providing timely information, we will usually start there. In many cases, we will deliberately NOT provide exact location, as it is not appropriate for someone to find out that their house is on fire by reading it on a website.

In the case of wildland fires, they are usually reported relative to the RP's location, or by Township-Range-Section designation. Therefore we usually give a 'general' or 'vicinity' location. As the incident progresses, we give more exact location information as it becomes known and is verified. Lat/Lon info frequently changes a bit as the incident progresses, so we wait a bit before providing that, to avoid mis-information.

I like the idea of separate 'conversation' and 'information' forums.

And I agree, some VERY interesting, but not necessarily useful, info can be heard! lol

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

08 Jun 2010 21:07 #23 by CC
Replied by CC on topic Scanner Forum
Joe....as a former fire fighter....you can probably understand why we are hesitant to give a more precise location on say a structure fire....
It is important to ensure the safety of those folks who so bravely go out each day on our behalf and risk their lives to save ours.
Funny you should mention your "old" analog scanner. I am using an old analog scanner myself. It is doing just fine.
We also use the online scanner and I personally find them pretty helpful.
It is a little easier to listen to if you know what call numbers are what. That comes pretty easy with time.
Thanks so much for all the great questions and interest in the scanner forum.
We really want to tailor that section of the website to exactly what your needs are.
Keep those questions and suggestions coming.
Thanks
Becky

08 Jun 2010 21:21 #24 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic Scanner Forum
Elk Creek, Platte Canyon, and North Fork are currently still using analog VHF frequencies, which work fine with '0ld' scanners. Evergreen is using analog UHF.

Several of the Fire Departments closer to the Metro area have converted to digital, such as InterCanyon, and Indian Hills is in the process of converting. If you are planning to buy a scanner, it should be APCO P25 digital compatible. If you already have one, it will probably work.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

08 Jun 2010 23:00 #25 by Sunshine Girl
Replied by Sunshine Girl on topic Scanner Forum

ShilohLady wrote: A 'Yes' vote would mean that only those identified as Scanner Volunteers would be allowed to post in the Scanner forums. That would mean (at least for now) jf1acai, Becky, and myself but would be expanded to anyone else who has the ability and is willing to post what they hear on scanners. I suspect that if we did not previously know a new volunteer, we would ensure that they are aware of our 'Code of Ethics' such as not posting identifying information on crashes, not to post medical calls, to post vicinity only but not exact addresses for fires etc.

Ok. Thank you for the explanation. I will go back and vote yes! BTW, all of you do such an awesome job and I just wanted to say thank you!

Hey Becky, Rockdoc and I were talking about you tonight (all good I promise) and were wondering if you and your hubby wanted to get together for dinner or drinks soon. I would love for you to meet each other. Let me know.

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

09 Jun 2010 01:52 #26 by MsMAM
Replied by MsMAM on topic Scanner Forum
I voted yes, but I think we need some way for other folks to be able to add info. Can there be a discussion about details area?

Just my .02. I have been known to be wrong. LOL

09 Jun 2010 05:15 #27 by MyMountainTown
Replied by MyMountainTown on topic Scanner Forum
Hi,

We regularly pull info from the campfire or if you have info that would be relevant you could always PM the scanners. I think that would be a good way around that issue. Thanks for all the input.

285 Bound Staff

Proudly serving mountain Jeffco, Clear Creek & Park County!
You can also find & connect with us on:
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube LinkedIn

720-608-0285

09 Jun 2010 06:31 #28 by CC
Replied by CC on topic Scanner Forum
SG We would love to meet you guys and have a little get together.
I would love to see the house now that it is complete.
Call me sometime soon. I will pm you my number

09 Jun 2010 06:33 #29 by Sunshine Girl
Replied by Sunshine Girl on topic Scanner Forum

Becky wrote: SG We would love to meet you guys and have a little get together.
I would love to see the house now that it is complete.
Call me sometime soon. I will pm you my number

Sounds wonderful!

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds