Detecting pollution with style

25 Jan 2011 23:38 #1 by ScienceChic
I would imagine that in a crowded, high-traffic, polluted city like New York, the shirts would be constantly detecting CO and lit up. I wonder what the threshhold concentration is for detection, and if the sensor, which I'm guessing is a photochemical, wears off with repeated washing? Cool idea though! I'm thinking that the liver/alcohol one will be more popular! My husband's frat, er, I mean, company could use a whole box for their annual meeting!

http://culture.wnyc.org/articles/featur ... ion-style/
NYU Students Create Shirts that Detect Pollution with Style
Thursday, January 20, 2011
By Abbie Fentress Swanson

Two N.Y.U. graduate students have created sweatshirts that change colors when they are exposed to pollution—anything from car exhaust to second-hand smoke. The two prototype garments bear a pink heart (see below) or a set of lungs (pictured above). Blue veins on the organs appear when a censor in the fabric detects high carbon monoxide levels in the air.

Lam and Ngo's interactive project is called "Warning Signs," and it's part of the pair's Masters coursework at the interactive telecommunications program at N.Y.U.'s Tisch School of the Arts. "Another project we're thinking of is using alcohol sensors to sense the level of alcohol you're consuming," Ngo, who lives in Fort Greene, adds. "The liver would be changing color."

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Jan 2011 09:02 #2 by jf1acai
For D.C. they need one with a sensor that would detect B.S.

Nah, on second thought it would be brown all the time!!

:lol:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds