Conifer Park & Rec District

18 Feb 2011 10:37 #31 by deltamrey
My sources are the teachers in the schools - I agree the parents and the culture are to blame...........please help.
I am aware that a number of these parents are growing dope (hoping to make a buck) and not providing positive role modles for the kids - the info definitely says a majority of HS kids here are on dope............lets provide other outlets.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Feb 2011 11:30 #32 by BearMtnHIB

My sources are the teachers in the schools - I agree the parents and the culture are to blame...........please help

Are there kids on dope up here in Evergreen and Conifer? Yep.

I notice that those who are obsessed with dope - are usually the ones who are on dope!
Are you on dope deltamrey? Those who think everyones life revolves around dope are haning around too many dope heads - or are doing it themselves so they think everyone else is too.

Are there any more dope heads up here than down in the city?
No - probably less. My guess is that in our area - we have less crime, less gangs, less dope than in the city - and I know quite a few parents who keep a close enough eye on their kids that it would be pretty tough for them to get into drugs up here.

Are you one of the parents that think you can drop your kid off at the rec center and not worry about little johnny or little janie tokin on a doobie? Your wrong.

The rec center addition won't change the statistics - if it did then the numbers would show a massive difference between Evergreen and Conifer area dopehead numbers. Evergreen has rec center facilities up the ying-yang - while Conifer has no such bureaucracy yet. Yet.

Think the numbers vary much between the areas? Look it up between bonghits!

The following is true - I'm not kidding!

Know where the kids used to go to smoke pot when I was in Evergreen high school?

The place was so popular- it was called the "hill".
The "hill" was behind the high school - on the hillside right next to the brand new rec center building. Many a parent thought little Janie was swimming at the rec center - but was instead - she was playin "Pass the Dutchie".

I swear this is the truth - others who have been there can back me up on that one!

18 Feb 2011 11:31 #33 by Local_Historian

deltamrey wrote: When Lewis does anything he seems to attract angst - I do not know him but he seems to be looking forward and certainly is entitled to reinvest his money in the community. Controlled growth is positive........complete resistance is short sighted, dysfunctional, and stupid. AGAIN - the ONLY economy here is construction and folks buying from and selling to each other (seems we cannot even keep the hot dog going and Bailey is a ghost village). A REC district will assist in demonstrating we are moving forward and not mired is past poor, FAILED practices. AND the kids do need a place in the summers to Let off steam (now it is dope, booze and sex).

MOST of the disposable $$$ earned down the hill is spent there.......I am sure the new Safeway is definitely in trouble and kept afloat by the outside financing - possibly they are looking to the future - some few folks here are not.

I am curious what folks (the minority) feel the future economically here really is ?......Not the past I hope (backhoes , booze, and snow plows - is NOT a viable economic base).

You 'quote" a lot of things, but present no facts.

So, I will present you will easily researchable facts about Mr. Lewis.

He came up here in the mid 1960s, and the smart man he was, he bought a LOT of empty land all over Evergreen, Conifer, all the way to Shaffer's Crossing. Only one man owns more property in this area than he does, and only because he got here first. It was a smart idea then. In the meantime, he's sold some it, and a lot of the rest of it he has developed. He has expanded his original business as a mortician - and believe me, there was nothing creepier than going to his house when the mortuary was still in the lower level- yes, I've known him since I was 16 - to also include property management and land development, and built a crematorium and moved the mortuary out of his house.

The animosity comes from Mr. Lewis's propensity for doing things and then apologizing later. When building homes, he has cut a great number of corners. This has caused endless problems for his tenants. Some folks think he's great - he built them a church and then expanded that church. But they don't realize he still actually owns that church. He will create a contract with someone, and then if he decides he doesn't like them or gets angry with them, he will take them to court and get his way, because he had the money to back it. If he can't take them to court, he will do his best to blacklist them in the community(an increasingly failing endeavor in his part, but in the 1970s and early 1980s, he still had the clout to do so.) If you go to his church, then you get preferencial treatment. If you don't, you're just a sinner and worthy of being cheated.

He makes promises to repair things on his rental properties, and then puts it off with excuses until the tenants break lease and leave. That pond on his property on Elk Creek? Built without permits, without consideration of water rights and all that entails, just done because he thought he should have a pond. He always won because he had the money to back him. That's right, I said had. He is considering bankruptcy. This is why he's pushing so hard to develop this property here - this is why he has pushed so hard for the past 6-7 years to develop all his land in this area, failing to pay attention to the number of his own properties that are empty, failing to pay attention to the sheer number of properties vacant and staying that way.

Plenty of business owners have come up against him over the years, and if you ask people who have been here longer than 10 years, you will either get high praise or condemnation of him- no real in between. And if you get high praise, your next question should be - do you go to conference baptist? He is also a lech; something his wife has learned to overlook or just tolerate. He will grope any woman who will let him, getting away with it these days because he's "just a little old man". There are plenty of other rumors about his personal behavior and christian hypocricy over the years; add it all together and he's built a rather "interesting" - and that is the polite way of saying it - reputation over the years.

He is entitled to reinvest money, indeed. However, he'd be better served repairing and upgrading his current properties. He is losing tenants because of the quality of the buildings, both business and homes. If he upgraded those even just to code, then he'd be able to sell the houses, get businesses into his buildings, and so forth.

Apparently you have no children- or your children were grown and out before you moved here - because you spout misinformation about the schools up here - not a single one is closing up here. Yes, the districts all have to make cuts - but closing some of the mountain schools has NEVER been on the table - it pays to do a bit of research, rather than spouting channel 31 news.

You also talk about all this drugs and alcohol our kids and ourselves are supposedly imbibing. Currently, there's a 18 year old HS senior standing behind me, one who prides himself on being clean and sober, who finds a great deal to do in this area - he and his friends. He is not an exception, he is a RULE, as are most of the kids over here in Jeffco. Are there some into drugs and alcohol? Sure - name me one school in the country where there are not! I'm betting the same holds true over there at Platte Canyon schools, and you're just assuming that all kids because they've hit puberty are necessarily bad kids.

And trying to project Park County issues onto Jeffco? Hilarious! The proposed rec district is in JEFFCO, not Park county, and will do NOTHING to assist growth into Park county. Are you even aware of how far Park county extends and the weather conditions in a large part of the county year round? Jefferson is COLD and rather barren, even in the summer. In the winter, ground blizzards close off the area often. Fairplay, also equally cold, and there is no real industry since mining and the trains both stopped- quite some time ago. In fact, it wasn't so long ago that Fairplay actually was a ghost town! sook it up! Closest industry is Breckenridge, which is seasonal - fall and spring there is no work. Next closest are the prisons in Canon City or Buena Vista - and they can only hire so many folks. One of the bigger tourist attractions to Canon City just closed this last year, leaving more people out of work.

The only economy is construction, eh? - so we should build more and more unused stuff that wil sit and rot, tax people more and more, guaranteeing that people will see no reason to come here at all. Smart idea. Wow, you're a financial genius.

There is no controlled growth in an area that is already overdeveloped - and even you can open your eyes and see that this area is clearly overdeveloped.

As for industry - it has changed a great deal in ways you clearly do not understand. A number of people in this forum - myself included - use the internet for part or all of their employment. A great deal of commerce goes on around here that you will never see, because there is no storefront, there is a home office. It is what has made it affordable for people to live the life they want, here in the mountains, without leaving the comfort of their own home more often than once a week. At the current time, I myself only have to go to Denver once every two weeks. Others up here only go to Denver or Boulder once a week, or for staff meetings. Others travel for their companies, having their homes up here.

Before propounding that you know what's best for the area, it would do you a great service if you actually knew how things are up here- the real facts, not some hearsay from older people who haven't had kids in the schools since the 70s, 80s or 90s, the real financial statistics from reputable source - like, oh, say the U.S. Census, rather than websites like Spokeo.com, and by asking people what they do and how they actually manage to live up here. Talk to realtors about the number of empty properties, talk to the schools about the behavior of the kids, hell, even talk to the kids.

Stop trying to convince us that we need to be just like Littleton, when it's not feasible, practical, or possible.

Really - your sources are the teachers, eh? Then you won't have a problem telling us which teachers and which schools - you are spouting bulls*** and we all know it. SOME people growing pot - OMGS, that must me we are ALL doing it! You don't even see the logical fallacies in what you say, and it's getting rather pathetic.

Really? The rec district people are now stooping this low as to lie about our children now? Way to try to win support.

How about you drive your ass over to Buchanan and Wolf rec centers TODAY and get statistics about the number of children over the age of 12 using the facilities - they do track those numbers. THEN, go to the school web sites and get the total number of students in each school - be sure to especially look at Evergreen HS and Wilmot Elementary, both literally right next to the one rec center - and compare numbers. Rather low, friend - more kids over age 12 use the public libraries.

You have no clue how hard they had to work just to justify Wolf rec center - and you think a few lies and bullcrap are going to get people to rush to create yet another one, when the first two are UNDERUSED???

Please, stop with the pathetic crap. Provide facts, not lies. With citations. Because believe me, they will be followed up on and checked.

18 Feb 2011 11:39 #34 by Local_Historian
Bear - bwahahahaha!! Indeed it was!

The campus cop- nice lady, but because my sister was dating her son? I got away with everything- and I STILL wasn't drinking or smoking pot!

Wanna know who was most into the drugs and alcohol up here? The church youth groups! Wanna know why? cause they were in church youth group, parents had no problem leaving 20-30 kids alone in the house on a sunday evening after evening church while they went to socialize with their own friends.

And the alcohol and the drugs and the sex were out in full force on those sunday evenings- a reason I stopped attending youth group, and eventually stopped attending church up here - the hypocricy was HUGE! And if you ask those same folk today - a lot of whom live in HR - they will tell you that was how it was.

The reason you don't see the same number of teen pregnancies up here that you do in Denver schools? Same reason that existed in the early 80s - mom and dad pay for a trip to Boulder to take care of the problem. In fact, there was only one girl in Evergreen in the early 80s who had the audacity to stay pregnant and stay in school, until she was asked to leave because she was getting large and was supposedly a bad influence - another drug and alcohol free person. Remmber her, Bear? I'd mention her name, but that would not be kind to her - Evergreen sure as hell was not.

The hill was also good for other things between classes, if you counted the number of used condoms...

18 Feb 2011 11:50 #35 by BearMtnHIB
Yep - the "hill".

This topic is bringin back the memories.

18 Feb 2011 11:54 - 18 Feb 2011 12:18 #36 by Local_Historian
The culure is to blame? Which culture is that? The one where people take care of their neighbors, get involved in the community in many ways, greet each other by name at all sort of public events, from the Rhubarb Fest, to Bailey Days, the rodeo, the art festivals, the music at the lake, to breakfasts at the VFW, even breakfasts and dinners in the community, supporting community businesses? The culture where people stop and talk to each other in the grocery and hardware stores? The culture where people are informed and realistic about their money and their community needs? The culture that teaches their children old fashioned values, like honesty and hard work? the culture of folks who grew up here and work here or as close to here as they can get, running businesses with integrity and honesty? the culture of like minded folks who have moved up here to keep their kids safer than they re in Denver?

Or the other culture also prevalent up here- the culture that has their children involved in every sport and activity they can to keep the kids busy from school til past dinner time? The culture of a great deal of money earned from jobs in Denver but spent up here on real estate and the restaurants and in the grocery stores? The culture of nannies and housekeepers and vacation homes elsewhere - or this is the vacation home.

There is a rather small minority who are crimminal elements, who are not what you'd like near you, but they are far and few between - they exist in every rural community across the country.

The first two mentioned are the prevalent cultures - neither better or worse, just different. Neither leading to the so called "downfall" of the community.

18 Feb 2011 11:58 #37 by Local_Historian

BearMtnHIB wrote: Yep - the "hill".

This topic is bringin back the memories.

Snort. Indeed.

Back when the library was in the building the police now occupy, when the old Evergreen school had all the county offices and you could get your driver's license up here, and the mountain open school was still in the mountains - now apartments are on that spot.

I think I'm still one of the only kids in Evergreen who never went into Troutdale resort- even my parents did! I kinda regret that.

18 Feb 2011 12:14 #38 by BearMtnHIB
One of my high school buddies- Steve - his parents owned the Troutdale in those days, so I have to admit that I have been in there.

I have a tale about us in there one night, and a front page story on the Canyon Courier the next week. Most of us got away before we were caught! Funny thing is - we were in there with the owners son.

I'm sure the statute of limitations has expired.

18 Feb 2011 12:20 #39 by Local_Historian
LMAO!!!

Since it no longer exists and a huge mansion sits in its place, I'm betting you're free and clear by now.

Now I wanna go look in the papers, but I think I recall that story... rofllol

20 Feb 2011 10:38 #40 by Boneyard
This week is crunch time for those opposed to the district. We need at least 3 of the Board members to be anti-rec district or anti-mill increase. You can get a self-nomination form from the contact below or PM me your email address and I will send you a copy. It must be submitted by 5 PM February 25th. That is this Friday.

This will not be a mail-in ballot even if you are signed up with the county for one. If you missed it there is a Public Notice on page 22 of this week’s (2-16-11) High Timber Times with the heading “Call For Nominations”.

If you want a mail-in ballot you must request one from the designated election official by April 26th.

The contact information given is:
Sue Blair, Designated Election Official
C/O Community Resource Services
3855 Lewiston Street, Suite 140
Aurora, CO 80011
Monday-Friday 8 AM to 5 PM
Phone 303-381-4960
Fax 303-381-4961
Email: .

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds