What Goes Into a Car Repair Estimate- Why is it so much?

20 Feb 2011 16:21 #1 by CinnamonGirl
http://autos.aol.com/article/car-repair-cost/

There are three main criteria used in pricing any given auto repair. The first is the labor rate, or what the shop charges for the time and expertise that goes into repairing your vehicle. The second is for the parts themselves, and whatever other shop support materials are used in the process of the repair. The third area to consider are the fixed costs or overhead that the repair shop has to cover, but that doesn't get reflected on your bill.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Feb 2011 17:36 #2 by major bean
One local auto repair shop charges a $90 diagnostic fee. You can pull in there and tell them exactly what the problem is and they will still charge the fee. I can understand that charging the price shopper or the do-it-yourself mechanic who uses them for his diagnosis but whenever you have done business with them for 20 years and have always told them to "fix it", always paid promptly, they should forego the surcharge. It has finally driven me away.

Regards,
Major Bean

20 Feb 2011 19:52 #3 by jf1acai
I wonder how many people have told them 'exactly what the problem was', and that wasn't really the problem at all?

I suspect they still have to do their own diagnosis anyway.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds