Is this a good kindle?

26 Feb 2011 13:58 #11 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Is this a good kindle?
You're welcome

I didn't intend to get so long winded, I just am very high on the possibilities for e-books making literature more available to people at lower cost.....what ever encourages reading is a good thing in my book
:coffee-News:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Feb 2011 14:15 #12 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Is this a good kindle?
Archer, I am loving it! You guys are helping me a ton.

27 Feb 2011 10:47 #13 by major bean
Replied by major bean on topic Is this a good kindle?
I have very little faith that the Kindle will be around 20 years from now. It will go the way of the Walkman, 8 track player, video player, etc. Formats will change. Google must not interfere with competing/subsequent developers attempts to convert the ebooks into a format that will perpetuate the preservation of those that have been purchased. Libraries are forever and should be passed down to the grandchildren or great grandchildren. Or sold to the highest bidder. Books are assets.

I once sold my collection of rare sporting dog books for many tens of thousands of dollars. They had retained their value and increased in value over the decades since their purchase by me. The sale helped finance my daughters' college education.

Is an ebook library a financial asset? Or is it the difference between owning DeVinci's Mona Lisa and a print of Devinci's Mona Lisa?

Regards,
Major Bean

27 Feb 2011 10:54 #14 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Is this a good kindle?
Ebooks aren't intended to replace a rare book library or even shelves of fine hardcovers....I view it as a paperback replacement for the masses. The average reader goes through many paperbacks a year, those books collect dust till there are so many the owner sells them in a garage sale
That's the market e books replace.

27 Feb 2011 11:30 #15 by LopingAlong
Replied by LopingAlong on topic Is this a good kindle?
mb, I look at it as a way to read books anywhere, anytime easily and inexpensively. For my own first edition, signed books, I prefer not to take them on a plane to a beach where they may get ruined. I would rather keep them untouched, unread and wrapped in plastic. It is like a print Vs the real thing. I love the Kindle and I sure never thoguht I would!

27 Feb 2011 16:38 #16 by CinnamonGirl
In 20 years something better will come along but for convenience and saving money this is a pretty good deal.

27 Feb 2011 16:41 #17 by LopingAlong
Replied by LopingAlong on topic Is this a good kindle?
It's like an ipod---that will improve as well, right? Get one, R-- you'll love it!

27 Feb 2011 22:36 #18 by robd2k11
Replied by robd2k11 on topic Is this a good kindle?
Both are ok. You don't need the 3G service, because anywhere that you will want to read a book while camping, bring a book, that is why it's called camping, nothing battery operated except an emergency cell phone (that's turned off) and some flashlights!

Kindle may offer an easier on the eyes viewing experience, however the question is, do you really want to spend over 100 dollars on something that only serves as a novelty replacement to good old books? Or do you want to grasp some useful computing power in your palms. Tablets are only going to advance and even the new version of Windows will integrate into a tablet, PC, etc because everything is turning to embedded architecture. (Cost and efficiency)

28 Feb 2011 14:45 #19 by CinnamonGirl
This is interesting.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2 ... g-e-books/

A Limit on Lending E-Books
Until now, libraries that have paid for the privilege of making a publisher’s e-books available for borrowing have typically been granted the right to lend an e-book — say, the latest John Grisham thriller — an unlimited number of times. Like print books, e-books in libraries are lent to one person at a time, often for two weeks. Then the book automatically expires from the borrower’s account.

HarperCollins said on Friday that it had changed its mind. Beginning March 7, its books may be checked out only 26 times before the license expires.

28 Feb 2011 14:57 #20 by Something the Dog Said
Currently, most books obtainable online from libraries do not work on a Kindle, but may on a Nook. However, there are software solutions that will convert the library books into a kindle format, such as Calibre (free). There are also issues with digital rights that sometimes may have to be addressed, but again, there are software solutions available.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds