Is this a good kindle?

25 Feb 2011 23:43 #1 by CinnamonGirl
Is this a good kindle? was created by CinnamonGirl
Does anyone know the difference between this one for $139 and the one for $189?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Y27P3M/?ta ... 6ejfb0kw_e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Feb 2011 23:59 #2 by Photo-fish
Replied by Photo-fish on topic Is this a good kindle?
http://www.comparekindle.com/

Still thinking about buying one.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

26 Feb 2011 00:31 #3 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Is this a good kindle?
If you think you will find yourself away from home, in a place with no wi-fi, but there is 3g service then you might want the $189 version, though having had a kindle now for several years I have enough books on it that I can't imagine a scenario that I would need to down load a book right away from wi-fi (my old kindle has 3g service, but I am usually home when I download books because I prefer to browse books on the computer, then download what I want right then) If you think you can wait to download a book till you are either at home with wi-fi, or can get to a hot-spot, then save the money and get the $139 variety. If you don't have wi-fi at home, then the $189 model might be a better choice.

When/if I have to replace my aging kindle I would opt for the $139 variety because I have wi-fi at home. You don't need the 3g or the wi-fi to read a book, only to download it.

26 Feb 2011 06:40 #4 by LopingAlong
Replied by LopingAlong on topic Is this a good kindle?
We own both and if you travel, I'd get the $189 one since if you need to download something and no computer is around, that's a plus. But if you don't travel, the $139 model is perfect. I find it faster and easier to just come to my pc and go shopping on Amazon, then send it to my kindle and I'm done. Also, running the kindle with wireless on eats your battery life waaaay faster so it's off unless you need to download a book.

I'd say go for the $139 one, just like archer suggests. You'll love it! And let me know if I have anything you'd like to borrow. I love that you can share books--2 wks at a time though and during that time, I can't read it. Just like if I'd loaned you a real book! Authors are in charge of their own material and it's funny that some allow it and some don't, and one I have two books by even allows sharing on only of her stuff.

26 Feb 2011 06:43 #5 by LopingAlong
Replied by LopingAlong on topic Is this a good kindle?
Oh, one more thing. Some books that are out in paperback are actually less expensive than the same book on your Kindle so you may want to shop it a bit. A few by Grisham are that way and some by Dean Koontz are too. On the flip side, there are many titles Free through Kindle and others that are less than $5. I am surprised at how much I like the little thing--especially for travel. My only complaint is that I often inadvertently press buttons I don't mean to. I have the smaller one and the bigger one may not have that problem, not sure.

26 Feb 2011 07:49 #6 by Something the Dog Said
The $139 works with Wi-Fi while the $189 works with Wi-Fi and 3G (telephone) wireless, plus both work with USB and a PC. Unless you do not have access to wi-fi, the $139 is a great deal. Other than that, I believe they are identical.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

26 Feb 2011 12:50 #7 by major bean
Replied by major bean on topic Is this a good kindle?
So, how do you build a family library; the classics that you want your children to read as they grow and mature? From reading this thread I was shocked to realize that with Kindle the book on the internet. You cannot take the "book" on a backpack trip and read it at night in the wilds of Alaska.

We will never own a Kindle because of this. What happens whenever Amazon goes out of business?

Cloud computing sucks, big time!

Regards,
Major Bean

26 Feb 2011 13:11 #8 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Is this a good kindle?
You have the wrong impression of the kindle major....first, the books are resident on your kindle AND on Amazon. You can also back them up on your computer or an external hard drive.....you will always have them. And you can read them on the kindle, on your cell phone, or on your computer.The new kindles hold 3500 books, that will cover most people. My old one holds 1500 books. I only remove books from my kindle if it's one I have read and didn't particularly like, but it is still on Amazon. So the book is with you.....I have taken my books with me every where I go, yes, even to Alaska and I read it at night where there was never even a thought of internet or cell coverage.....what was nice is I could tak 100 books to alaska in a 4"x6" space......a charge on the kindle if the wi-fi or 3g is not turned on is about 2 weeks....maybe better on the newer models. You do NOT have to be connected to the internet or 3g to read a book. If there are multiple kindles in the family they all have access to the books and can read them simultaneously with only having to buy the book once.

and no, this is NOT cloud computing....and if Amazon goes out of business you still have all your books, and there are plenty of other websites where you can get books, Amazon is just the easiest and usually the cheapest.

Some other advantages......even if your kindle is at home you can read while waiting in the doctors office on a cell phone, it will synch with the kindle to right where you left off. If you lose your kindle, you still have all your books either on-line at Amazon, or backed up on a hard drive or where ever.

Another plus, most of the classics are free or very low cost, I have gotten dozens for .99 or less. At those prices you can have your fancy edition hardcover if you want, but also have the same book on your kindle that you, or the kids, can read anywhere and not worry about it getting damaged or lost.

Still, it may not be for everyone, all I know is I have been able to read an awful lot more books because they are so inexpensive for classics and older titles, I have been introduced to some really fine independent authors who often will put their books on Amazon for free to build an customer base.....free is always good....and, I can read a few chapters of a book for free so I can decide if I actually want to spend $9.99 for a new release.

26 Feb 2011 13:13 #9 by Something the Dog Said

major bean wrote: So, how do you build a family library; the classics that you want your children to read as they grow and mature? From reading this thread I was shocked to realize that with Kindle the book on the internet. You cannot take the "book" on a backpack trip and read it at night in the wilds of Alaska.

We will never own a Kindle because of this. What happens whenever Amazon goes out of business?

Cloud computing sucks, big time!

You can store about 3500 books on your Kindle, not on the cloud. You can also add up to an additional 4G in memory cards which would take you into the tens of thousands. The Wi Fi allows you to purchase books directly online from Amazon in seconds

You can also store your books on a PC hard drive.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

26 Feb 2011 13:53 #10 by major bean
Replied by major bean on topic Is this a good kindle?
Thanks archer and Something the Dog Said. Your explanation was my first impression of what the Kindle was; a means of purchase, download, storage, and reading of the books. The concern in this thread about WiFi was what made me question my interpretation of what the Kindla might be. Thanks for the explanation.

Regards,
Major Bean

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds