× News, results, speculation, and bragging! Home of the popular Pick 5 Contest ! RATING: PG

Interesting Quarterback comparison

13 Jan 2012 22:06 #1 by Rockdoc

In Brady's second regular season (2001), in his first 11 starts (of 14), the Patriots were 8-3. He won his first start and was blown out in the second, 30-10, before winning four of the next six. In those 11 games, Brady had 16 touchdowns (all passing) and nine interceptions, 2,254 yards passing and 91 yards rushing.
In Tebow's second regular season 10 years later, in his 11 starts, the Broncos were 7-4. He won his first start and was blown out in his second, 45-10, before winning six in a row. In 11 games, Tebow had 16 touchdowns (11 passing) and six interceptions, 2,305 yards passing and 859 yards rushing.
Similar.

Read more: Woody Paige: Tim Tebow is John Elway's long-awaited successor - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_1973 ... z1jPEURyiq
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

There is even more similarity that Woody presents in the article. Most interesting indeed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Jan 2012 22:28 #2 by Blazer Bob
I am not sure if this is the right place to put this but if not I trust the powers to be to relocate it.

I thought it was an interesting Tebow read.

Sorry Doc if this knocks you thread off. Truth is I did not follow your links and just looked for the most recent Tebow thread to attach this to.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/14/sport ... nted=print

13 Jan 2012 22:33 #3 by otisptoadwater
IMHO, if you are just looking at numbers it is interesting (and says a lot of positive things for Tebow) but when you factor in years in the NFL and the experience that comes with long term team mates I think there are more factors to consider. That having been said I still believe that Tebow has some talents and the drive to make any team he plays with as successful as they can be.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

14 Jan 2012 05:50 #4 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Interesting Quarterback comparison
This whole story has been a bit annoying because of the people following this that don't really even care about football. Papers, TV and news stations are talking about him just because it is selling news right now. However, the whole god thing has been pretty funny.

But I think what really annoys me is the talk by the supposed experts. They all have been saying some pretty stupid stuff. Like even a couple days ago they were still trying to figure out if he was going to be our starter next year and one guy said the only reason he would is because the Denver town would throw a fit. The guy is in his second year what the hell are they talking about? They did the same thing in Elway's first couple awful years. I know that the new 'thing' is first year QBs being a first year 'star' but bradshaw and Elway took a couple years to get good then were fantastic.

I am concerned about all the hysterical distraction lately. It has happened to many good QBs, Big ben was raping, Brady was sleeping with all kinds of models and having kids and you know every god fearing religious girl is drooling over Tebow right now.

Woody has always been a homer. LOL He is comparing to the wrong QB, he should be comparing him to Elway. We just need to give all this some time to see who he really is and if he is sustainable. But for anyone to talk about Tebow not being in a Bronco? Look how much time they gave Orton to suck before they got rid of him.... why would they not give Tebow at least that much time?

I have never been a big stats girl. Elway never had great stats, why? Partially because he was making wine from water (sorry I had to) LOL. When you get into the argument about Elway vs. Montana, Montana had a team and Elway didn't and I feel the best players are the ones that get better when the going gets rough that don't get nervous. Orton sucked and no one said anything about it. It was obvious to me he was not good even when he was winning. He was boring. We have a mobile QB that is in his second year. And I am not going to go by comparisons with Brady.

14 Jan 2012 09:14 - 14 Jan 2012 11:28 #5 by Blazer Bob
I have to laugh.

This is from a thread at another site. You can't make this stuff up. rofllol

"From: koan 1/13/2012 10:44:21 PM
Read Replies (2) of 179299

I am praying for Denver to lose tomorrow."

"To: koan who wrote (179277) 1/14/2012 12:37:20 AM

I agree. If Tebow loses, it will be a demonstration of the compassion of Jesus for real pro football fans everywhere "

http://www.siliconinvestor.com/subject. ... ctid=55719

14 Jan 2012 09:17 #6 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Interesting Quarterback comparison
Some witches put a spell on Tebow too.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/20 ... dys-alive/

14 Jan 2012 16:42 #7 by Rockdoc
For me the point of the article to which I posted a link had more to do with the similarities. WHile further development of Tebow remains to be seen, it is obvious that Tebow is a leader who makes those around him better. He is a winner and say what yu want about J.M. he recognized the "IT" factor in both Brady and Tebow. The IT factor is what I think makes the huge difference in leadership. I'd expect Tebow will improve his defense reading significantly next year and his decision making on passing. THe BS that Tebow has been given more opportunities than any other QB is so stupidly ridiculous as is a statement like "the NFL is not a instructional league". I guess this is why so many QB warm the bench for several years before they are put out on the field (Aron Rogers, Tom Brady are two fine examples).

Finally, I heard that Tebow spoke to the Team this morning and his team mates give him a standing ovation. That is leadership and any team in the NFL would welcome that kind of leadership at the QB position.

19 Jan 2012 16:14 #8 by Rockdoc
Trent Dilfer knows a thing or two about criticism. Here he is talking about Flaco's challenges, but he may as well be talking about Tebow when it comes to magnified passing critique because of the infrequency of the passes.

You can't change people's perceptions,'' Dilfer said. "It's impossible. Not by talking, and even sometimes not by playing. It can take years to change it. I understand his frustrations. It's much harder to be a quarterback in a ball-control offense, because you have less opportunities, so any failure is magnified. If you're throwing the ball 45 times a game, and you dirt a couple, throw a pick, and miss a couple reads, but you still have 32-33 other really good plays, that's okay. But if you have 24 attempts, and you have four or five mistakes, that's all anybody remembers. It's just the nature of ball-control versus a pass-first offense.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... z1jwsT1M1d

23 Jan 2012 15:41 #9 by FredHayek
Brady had a rough game on Sunday and Smith has a less than 50% completion rate.

I think "Timmay" will be much better next year with a full off season to play with the starters and under the tutelage of #7.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

24 Jan 2012 19:40 #10 by Rockdoc

FredHayek wrote: Brady had a rough game on Sunday and Smith has a less than 50% completion rate.

I think "Timmay" will be much better next year with a full off season to play with the starters and under the tutelage of #7.

Indeed. How many years has Smith had that were less then good? Some believe the NFL is not a training league, which is of course just a stupid thing to say considering how many players, not just QB sit behind great players for several years all the time learning. It will be interesting to see what if any impact Elway will have. I say any because I'm still uncertain of his sincerity in truly tutoring Tim. If not Elway, there will be other coaches to help him, but Elway could do much to improve the lad.

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds