× News, results, speculation, and bragging! Home of the popular Pick 5 Contest ! RATING: PG

Lance Armstrong Stripped of All Titles, Banned for Life

23 Aug 2012 21:43 #1 by ScienceChic
What a sad day for sports. He will lose his Olympic medals too.

Lance Armstrong won't fight charges
Updated: August 23, 2012, 11:37 PM

The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency said Thursday night it will strip Lance Armstrong of his unprecedented seven Tour de France titles after he declared he was finished fighting the drug charges that threaten his legacy as one of the greatest cyclists of all time.

Travis Tygart, USADA's chief executive, said Armstrong would also be hit with a lifetime ban on Friday.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Aug 2012 21:50 #2 by Nobody that matters
The USADA are a bunch of idiots, and Tygart is a jealous fool.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

24 Aug 2012 05:59 #3 by LOL
Wow! Isn't a little late to be investigating him now? If he cheated, well that's wrong, but they should have dealt with it back then. Its water over the bridge now. And difficult to prove.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

24 Aug 2012 06:06 #4 by FredHayek
Livestrong? Or is that better living through chemistry?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

24 Aug 2012 07:06 #5 by Nobody that matters
I'll believe the USADA when they announce the changes to their rigorous testing to keep anyone from repeating Armstrong's alleged devious deeds.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

24 Aug 2012 07:52 #6 by Rockdoc
Agreed. Witch hunt is how it is described and seen by many. Nothing like politics. Make an accusation and stand back and watch. It matters not if something is true, generally, the allegations are mustered on the basis of what the accuser does, not what the accused did. Have experienced this first hand. BS.

Remind you of the Olympics? Run record fast, swim record fast, jump higher or farther and it must be chemistry that is involved. There is always someone who is incapable of conceiving that talent coupled with dedicated training can produce record results, not to mention consistency. Yep, all those 500 plus drug tests passed mean nothing compared to an unproven accusation. Simply disgusting.

24 Aug 2012 08:31 #7 by Something the Dog Said
Total witchhunt. USADA found no new evidence, just recycled the testimony from acknowledged perjurers. There is some question as to whether USADA has jurisdicition to strip his medals and victories. The UCI and Olympic Committee must received detailed reports on the USADA, then decide whether the actions are merited.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

24 Aug 2012 08:39 #8 by ScienceChic
The USADA claims it had 10 former teammates ready to testify, and since they wouldn't name them, it's impossible to know if they were all former cheaters/perjurers as well. My guess is, aside from the fact that this has been emotionally and physically draining for years for Armstrong and he's just done dealing with it, he was probably even pressured to not let the sport get dragged into the gutter if it got to testimonies in a court case.

It's entirely possible that he did cheat, but this is ancient history, they've never been able to conclusively prove anything, and the USADA is hurting themselves and bringing a bitter pall over the sport with not letting this go. Stripping him of all of his titles and banning him from ever participating in this sport is BS at this point. If I were an athlete, I'd think twice about continuing in my sport if this kind of thing could happen years later to me, and be kept alive by bitter former-teammates who got caught doing something wrong.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

24 Aug 2012 08:57 #9 by Something the Dog Said

Science Chic wrote: The USADA claims it had 10 former teammates ready to testify, and since they wouldn't name them, it's impossible to know if they were all former cheaters/perjurers as well. My guess is, aside from the fact that this has been emotionally and physically draining for years for Armstrong and he's just done dealing with it, he was probably even pressured to not let the sport get dragged into the gutter if it got to testimonies in a court case.

It's entirely possible that he did cheat, but this is ancient history, they've never been able to conclusively prove anything, and the USADA is hurting themselves and bringing a bitter pall over the sport with not letting this go. Stripping him of all of his titles and banning him from ever participating in this sport is BS at this point. If I were an athlete, I'd think twice about continuing in my sport if this kind of thing could happen years later to me, and be kept alive by bitter former-teammates who got caught doing something wrong.

Landis and Hamilton are on record, of course they have both perjured themselves previously in denying their involvement, then writing books reversing their stance. Not sure who the others are, but what little has leaked out is that a number of riders were given the choice of signing on or being investigated themselves.

I am not saying that Lance is squeaky clean (I believe that most or all riders were doping some years ago) but he has passed every test administered to him whether in the Tour, Olympics or other events. To now go after him based on coerced testimony is unfair.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

24 Aug 2012 09:05 #10 by FredHayek
(Can't believe I agree with Dog) I think there was cheating going on but since it wasn't found during testing it makes very little sense to continue to go after him now. Concentrate on the racers of today.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds