Faster than light

22 Sep 2011 18:50 #1 by Blazer Bob
Faster than light was created by Blazer Bob
Faster-than-light back with surprising CERN discovery
Where’d that neutrino come from? The future

By Richard Chirgwin • Get more from this author

Posted in Physics, 22nd September 2011 21:39 GMT

Only weeks since mathematicians proved it couldn’t be done, CERN boffins have put the smile back on sci-fi fans’ faces everywhere by discovering neutrinos travelling faster than light.

The astonishing results, reported by Reuters and others, came as the result of the OPERA experiment in which 15,000 beams of neutrinos were fired from Geneva to the Gran Sasso in Italy.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/22 ... neutrinos/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Sep 2011 19:16 #2 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Faster than light
While the prospect of faster than light speed is fascinating. While Further experimentation aimed at duplicating the neutrino results still need to happen for substantiating the science, already the expressed fear of how the public will react and how things should be reported smacks of political correctness. Mostly it is an expression of trying to simplify things or make it "really" understandable for a less than intelligent public... insulting at best. Why the concern over how the public will react to new science? WHat threat does it pose how someone thinks about the results? Eeee gads, give me a F break.

22 Sep 2011 21:29 #3 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Faster than light

Rockdoc Franz wrote: While the prospect of faster than light speed is fascinating. While Further experimentation aimed at duplicating the neutrino results still need to happen for substantiating the science, already the expressed fear of how the public will react and how things should be reported smacks of political correctness. Mostly it is an expression of trying to simplify things or make it "really" understandable for a less than intelligent public... insulting at best. Why the concern over how the public will react to new science? WHat threat does it pose how someone thinks about the results? Eeee gads, give me a F break.

I did not pay any attention to that part. I am excited by the possibility of FTL travel. As a former sci-fi addict I say screw pax America, I say pax humanity. Lets conquer the galaxy. We could even give an entire solar system to liberals.

22 Sep 2011 22:31 #4 by Rockdoc
:lol: I love SIFI. I doubt we will conquer the galaxy any time soon, but I expect we will learn a great deal as we do begin to first explore our solar system and then ask how we can get the the nearest star. Speaking of politics and solar systems. Do you read any of David Webber's books. It expands the political posturing and ideology confrontations to the stars.

23 Sep 2011 09:01 #5 by Blazer Bob
I just glanced at his home page. Nothing looked familiar.

23 Sep 2011 10:26 #6 by Rockdoc

neptunechimney wrote: I just glanced at his home page. Nothing looked familiar.

I've a bunch of his books. I quite like the Honor series. It took me a while to get into it, namely to sort out who what who. Once past that they were a good read. If you should want to borrow some, let me know.

BTW, did you get your wood?

23 Sep 2011 15:36 #7 by Blazer Bob

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

neptunechimney wrote: I just glanced at his home page. Nothing looked familiar.

I've a bunch of his books. I quite like the Honor series. It took me a while to get into it, namely to sort out who what who. Once past that they were a good read. If you should want to borrow some, let me know.

BTW, did you get your wood?

Got the wood, thanks. Sure, I would like to borrow the first in the series and see what I think.

24 Sep 2011 22:23 #8 by Blazer Bob

24 Sep 2011 23:50 #9 by Rockdoc
Seeing space makes me think of space travel. Where will it all be in 100 years? Even at if neutrinos can speed along faster than light, it still will not get humans to habitable solar systems out there. We need to work on the time dimension to accomplish that.

25 Sep 2011 08:51 #10 by Blazer Bob

Rockdoc Franz wrote: Seeing space makes me think of space travel. Where will it all be in 100 years? Even at if neutrinos can speed along faster than light, it still will not get humans to habitable solar systems out there. We need to work on the time dimension to accomplish that.

Who knows what it could evolve into over time. I doubt that Otto ever envisioned what we have today.

"In 1660, a German experimenter named Otto Von Guericke built the first electric generating machine. He showed that electricity could be transmitted by using a wet string to conduct electricity several feet. "

Or Thales.

"Around 600 BCE, in Greece, a mathematician named Thales discovered that amber rubbed with animal fur attracted light objects."

http://library.thinkquest.org/6064/history.html

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds