Wind power in the mountains?

05 Sep 2012 13:54 #1 by KJack
Hey all! I'm a new member from Kodiak AK and was just wondering if anyone knew about plans or even if wind power is a viable alternative for these mountain communities? I'm living with a friend in Denver but am scoping out a place near Crow Hill. In Kodiak we have hydro and a new windfarm above the city that will provide 80% of the needed power once all six windmills go online. It just looks like windpower would work and I haven't seen any signs of them. Not enough wind?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Sep 2012 14:15 #2 by ScienceChic
Hey KodiakJack!

Welcome to Colorado! Great question you've posed, hopefully someone around here has tried something similar. I used to live near the top of Kings Valley in Conifer and I don't think a windmill would've worked only because the wind is rather inconsistent and when it does blow hard, it blows HARD. Not sure what the Crow Hill area is like though, it might be more reliable. I'm guessing that a company that installs them would know more, or maybe someone at NREL (National Renewable Energy Laboratory in Golden)?

Please keep us posted if you research more, or end up putting one up - I'm curious now! :)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

05 Sep 2012 14:59 #3 by KJack
Replied by KJack on topic Wind power in the mountains?
Thanks for the quick response chic! I'm pretty anal about alternative energy sources since I've seen them work in my town, but Kodiak is a different geographical animal for sure. I think it may be one of those places that was meant for wind energy as a primary source - lots of staedy ocean breezes from all sides and a climate much less harsh than the rest of AK.
When I was looking for houses in Bailey, I just pictured a few windmills to power the more remote communities. I'll post some pics of kodiaks' windmills when i figure out how.

05 Sep 2012 16:28 - 18 Jun 2017 17:41 #4 by ScienceChic
To add pictures, try our tutorial here: mymountaintown.com/forum/20-the-hard-dri...r-posts?limitstart=0

The most common hosting sites to upload pictures to are:
imageplay: www.Imageplay.net
ImageShack: imageshack.us/
or tinypic: www.tinypic.com/

Can't wait to see your pictures! I'm a big fan of sustainable energy production as well and am always glad to hear success stories.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

06 Sep 2012 07:23 #5 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Wind power in the mountains?
Here is an older article in the Flume about a Bailey resident who put up a wind and solar system.

One thing about Bailey is the extreme winds in the winter, the tower and blades would have to handle that. See all the trees down from last November!

http://www.theflume.com/news/article_70 ... f6878.html

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

06 Sep 2012 07:49 #6 by Blazer Bob

LOL wrote: Here is an older article in the Flume about a Bailey resident who put up a wind and solar system.

One thing about Bailey is the extreme winds in the winter, the tower and blades would have to handle that. See all the trees down from last November!

http://www.theflume.com/news/article_70 ... f6878.html

LOL, thanks for finding the link.

06 Sep 2012 08:19 #7 by pacamom
Here is the NREL Wind Technology Center website. Weird thing about this place, the turbines are rarely turning, but it's always windy.

http://www.nrel.gov/nwtc/

06 Sep 2012 16:25 #8 by KJack
Replied by KJack on topic Wind power in the mountains?

pacamom wrote: Here is the NREL Wind Technology Center website. Weird thing about this place, the turbines are rarely turning, but it's always windy.

http://www.nrel.gov/nwtc/

I've been doing a little research (very little) and it seems like wind technology is best suited for flat land and areas near water where the wind is unobstructed. Solar seems to be the only way to go in the Colorado mtns, so a southern exposure and/or already installed solar system will be very important in my buying decision. It's going to be great to enjoy a winter of sunshine since I've been in Alaska for so many years :woo hoo:

Off topic' whats a good ski area to get a decent rate on a season pass? I don't care about fancy lodges or huge runs, I just want a place to go that's not too far and won't break the bank.

06 Sep 2012 16:42 #9 by BearMtnHIB
Wind will work in select spots up here in the hills. There are some pretty high tech small wind machines available on the market today just for these types of applications.

The new wind machines have automatic clutches and other governing devices which will shut down in the event of a wind storm.

Some places up here- wind makes more economic sense then photovoltaic solar does. A site evaluation by an experienced engineer in this field will give you the best advise.

My engineering degree is in alternative energy- I don't offer those evaluation services, but I know there are people out there who do.

06 Sep 2012 17:59 #10 by pacamom

KodiakJack wrote:

pacamom wrote: Here is the NREL Wind Technology Center website. Weird thing about this place, the turbines are rarely turning, but it's always windy.

,snip.

Off topic' whats a good ski area to get a decent rate on a season pass? I don't care about fancy lodges or huge runs, I just want a place to go that's not too far and won't break the bank.

The closest place just closed- Echo Mountain. Loveland (I think) is the next closest. You should look online for the best deals for season passes. You can get great deals on passes that are good for several different mountains. Watch out for black out dates.

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds