LED Bulbs finally break the $10 barrier!!

10 Mar 2013 19:26 #11 by ScienceChic
No problem, I learned early on that I have to make fun of myself first. :wink: Ron White said it all best in his routine "You can't fix stupid". tongue:

Yeah, I've discovered that CFLs are particularly awful for outdoor use (especially in motion-detector lights, combine that with cold temps and they're dead in a few months). If you get the ones that aren't the squiggly part by itself, but are encased inside a glass shell making them look more like a traditional incandescent, then they will last longer in the cold garage but not as long as is claimed. Even for the more expensive LEDs, the cost savings are already on the side of switching over to them, whether they are under $10 or not; the companies making them have done a crappy job of marketing them IMO.

You don't have to join Sierra Club or Greenpeace and you don't have to care about the world just to buy LEDs, saving money is always a good thing! :wink: :sunny:

jf1 - me too!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Mar 2013 06:11 - 18 Jun 2017 17:37 #12 by RenegadeCJ

Science Chic wrote: Sorry Renegade, haven't been on much and missed your reply. It's the Stickied thread at the top of the Courthouse.

Here are the 40W EcoSmart bulbs that I've been buying from Home Depot, they had been $9.97, they are now $9.47. They come in bright white, soft white and warm white, same as incandescents. You can also get them in 60W, 75W, and 100W, but those do cost more. Almost all of my light fixtures have multiple bulbs so I've switched them all to 40W and put dimmers on them, and it's plenty bright when I need it to be and dims nicely otherwise (no humming or flickering like with the CFLs)

The 50W flood light EcoSmart LEDs I've been getting ($25 each) to replace the flood lights in my cans.

What colors have you found good for what locations? The thing I like about the new Cree ones is they look a lot more like a real light, if you can see them.

I haven't found any good LED replacement for my recessed lighting yet...the 50 watts don't cut it light wise.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

11 Mar 2013 10:03 #13 by ScienceChic
Unfortunately, they don't make the globe LED in a higher power than 50W. I haven't used this exact one, but it appears as if it would diffuse the light nicely, and it's the same price as the 50W.

Ecosmart 75W Soft White LED Flood

These are the ones I avoid (EcoSmart 65W Soft White LED Downlight) because they send the light straight down, not out which doesn't light up a larger area very well (I have one in my hallway which is fine for that area, but am glad I learned with the purchase as to what I don't want).

I use the Bright Whites in my kitchen and the soft whites in my bathrooms. The bathrooms are small so the bright white light is way too powerful (or I've got really sensitive eyes).

I've tried the GE Energy LEDs and was not impressed - again, the directional thing. Phillips, too, seems to have a lot of those so I've not gotten any of theirs. Plus, they are priced higher than the Ecosmarts.

One that I haven't talked about are the candleabra LEDs that I have to put in my oudoor fixtures (why they didn't install ones that just take a single regular size bulb is beyond me). This isn't the exact one , but it's similar to what I get. I'm not thrilled at the power - only 2W - and the light is somewhat diffused thanks to the frosted glass (you can buy them unfrosted too, but then they are like tiny bright pinpoints of light that don't light up my driveway at all), but they aren't optimal. I'm still looking for better ones for those fixtures.

These I've put in the kids bedroom lamps, what's really fun is that they come in green, red, and blue colors as well.

And these nightlight LED bulbs are good too.

There are lots of options for under-cabinet LEDs, but I only have one in my laundry room that I don't use all that often because the overhead lights in there are on a motion detector. Am planning on putting some in the kitchen whenever we finally get around to our remodel, whatever decade that ends up being! :)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

13 Mar 2013 09:53 #14 by RenegadeCJ
The thing I like best about these CREE bulbs over the ones you mention, is...Made in America. That alone makes them substantially more green, and I like to buy things made here.

I'm gonna get some and see how they are in different fixtures!

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds