LED Bulbs finally break the $10 barrier!!

06 Mar 2013 06:00 #1 by RenegadeCJ
This is how green energy should happen...not by subsidy, or pushing technology before it is ready, but by putting out a product that makes sense economically...then people will buy it!

Great news....and actually made in America!!

DURHAM, N.C.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--

Cree, Inc. (CREE) introduces a game-changing series of LED bulbs at a retail price point that gives consumers a reason to switch to LED lighting. The long-lasting Cree LED bulbs showcase Cree’s commitment to LED lighting innovation. The new bulbs shine as brightly as comparable incandescents while saving 84 percent of the energy compared to traditional bulbs. The Cree LED bulbs are backed by a 10-year limited warranty and available exclusively at The Home Depot®.

With a retail price of $9.97 for the warm white 40-watt replacement, $12.97 for the 60-watt warm white replacement and $13.97 for the 60-watt day light, the Cree LED bulbs save 84 percent of the energy compared to traditional incandescents. Cree LED bulbs can pay for themselves quickly and then pay consumers year after year. By replacing the incandescent bulbs with Cree LED bulbs in a home’s five most frequently used light fixtures, consumers can save $61 per year on electric bills.*

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/cree-intr ... 00016.html

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Mar 2013 10:08 #2 by ScienceChic
Cool! But there have been ones available for under $10 for quite some time now at Home Depot (I've mentioned them in the Green Thread and put links to the Home Depot pages if you're interested!). I love my LED bulbs, they put off a nice light, are fully bright right away unlike CFLs, don't contain mercury so they don't require special disposal, can be dimmed, and are saving me money and helping the environment! :thumbsup:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

09 Mar 2013 16:51 #3 by RenegadeCJ
Where is the green thread? Buried under the snow?

I haven't found any for that price that were any good. I finally ponied up in a couple areas I had no other choice, and I do love them, but had to pay out the nose for them. I despise CFL's....

I did change out my refrigerator bulbs for LED's....now if we leave the door ajar, it doesn't heat up the fridge!

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

10 Mar 2013 16:58 - 18 Jun 2017 17:38 #4 by ScienceChic
Sorry Renegade, haven't been on much and missed your reply. It's the Stickied thread at the top of the Courthouse.

Here are the 40W EcoSmart bulbs that I've been buying from Home Depot, they had been $9.97, they are now $9.47. They come in bright white, soft white and warm white, same as incandescents. You can also get them in 60W, 75W, and 100W, but those do cost more. Almost all of my light fixtures have multiple bulbs so I've switched them all to 40W and put dimmers on them, and it's plenty bright when I need it to be and dims nicely otherwise (no humming or flickering like with the CFLs)

The 50W flood light EcoSmart LEDs I've been getting ($25 each) to replace the flood lights in my cans.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

10 Mar 2013 17:12 #5 by HappyCamper
Costco has started carrying multi-packs of LED's for great prices.

We also just bought some new track lighting for the kitchen from Costco the strip has 4 LED lights fixture is stainless steel and they were $50.00.

Now I just need take the old stainsteel lights to Echo or Habitat.

10 Mar 2013 17:38 #6 by jf1acai

SC wrote: The 50W flood light EcoSmart LEDs I've been getting ($25 each) to replace the flood lights in my cans.

You have flood lights in your bathrooms? <evil grin>

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

10 Mar 2013 17:46 #7 by otisptoadwater

jf1acai wrote:

SC wrote: The 50W flood light EcoSmart LEDs I've been getting ($25 each) to replace the flood lights in my cans.

You have flood lights in your bathrooms? <evil grin>

I was thinking more like on her person but this is a G rated show so I'm not going there... :Whistle

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

10 Mar 2013 18:27 #8 by ScienceChic
:rofllol :rofllol :rofllol ohmigod! Actually, I do have a recessed light above my toilet, but regular fixtures over the mirror above the sinks. lol

otis, one of my favorite sayings is that if it weren't for my lack of endowment, physics, and law enforcement, I could've ruled the world by now! (It was depressing hearing all these women call into the Slacker and Steve show on Alice 105.9 last week and talk about getting out of speeding tickets, and getting moved up to 1st class just because they were wearing tight, low-cut sweaters - I have never gotten out of a speeding ticket!) Luckily a lack of endowment is easily fixed with enough money (and I'm not sure how LED lights would fit in there, but I'm definitely not getting the squeeky toys like some facebook meme suggested). :scared: Maybe someday... :biggrin:

10 Mar 2013 19:10 #9 by otisptoadwater
Thanks for taking my remark in the light it was meant.

:sarcasm: Let's face it, if you could have pulled it off it would be a really neat party trick (wow, what a bright sweater)! :sarcasm: lol

All things being equal, we have to play the cards we have been dealt and I have a lot more respect for intelligent women, the other variety is too vain and predictable for my tastes.

Anywho... I bought a bunch of CFLs when they came into the market on the theory that since they last longer and consume less energy I would save some money and over time I have saved a few bucks. I replaced every bulb in the Cave with a CFL except the appliances and the garage door openers. I'm unhappy with CFLs in many applications and it sounds like the LED lamps are the way to go in applications where instant on is needed. I think I'll start adding LEDs to my lighting as the CFLs burn out and eventually replace the CFLs altogether. Just in case any of you think I'm about to run out and join the Sierra Club or Greenpeace relax, my motives are simple and selfish - if it saves me money I'm all for it. Any unintended consequence that makes it "green" isn't my main concern.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

10 Mar 2013 19:22 #10 by jf1acai
As the CFLs I've been using for several years burn out, I will replace them with LEDs.

I'm too cheap to replace a bulb that still works! :wink:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds