The "GREEN" thread

12 Jun 2012 19:23 - 22 Apr 2016 12:16 #101 by RY
Replied by RY on topic The "GREEN" thread
Seattle is building a massive edible forest with free food...

Taking the urban garden to the next level, Seattle, Washington has officially broken ground on a dedicated seven acre area of city land set to be converted into an “edible forest” that will produce free food for the city’s residents and visitors, human or otherwise.

According to the Beacon Food Forest’s website, the project’s mission is “to design, plant and grow an edible urban forest garden that inspires our community ... www.royalyogabailey.com/sustainable-living.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Jul 2012 11:31 - 22 Apr 2016 12:17 #102 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic The "GREEN" thread
The Ford Focus Electric: A Tesla Model S For the Middle Class
Todd Woody, Forbes Staff
7/16/2012

Ford’s iPhone app, meanwhile, is in constant contact with the stylish four-door hatchback, analyzing and categorizing my driving style – Zen, if you must know – mapping my travels and pinging the car when it’s time to juice up its lithium-ion battery pack to get the cheapest electricity rates. And it’s inviting me to share on Facebook and Twitter a running tally of how much carbon and cash I’ve saved by going electric.

The great symbol of American mobility is morphing into a network device, a data-generating green machine plugged into a matrix of power grids, cloud computers and social media. Remember when a cellphone was just a gadget for making calls and not for shopping, web browsing and organizing one’s life? The idea that a car is only for getting you from point A to point B may seem just as quaint in few years.

If you want to go for a longer jaunt on the car, you fire up the app, input your destination, and it will tell you if you can make it, and if not, where there are charging stations along the way. There are improvements that need to be made yet (the author points out that it doesn't say if the charging stations are fee or free, and if someone's already using them, plus the distance calculations really need to incorporate elevation changes as uphill can drain the batteries much faster and downhill give you extra distance thanks to the regenerative braking), but otherwise, after driving the gasoline and the electric only versions, he chose the electric version hands-down.

Nice to know!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

31 Jul 2012 06:30 - 22 Apr 2016 12:19 #103 by RY
SoloPower’s Second Generation Flexible Modules Certified to UL and IEC Standards

www.solarthermalmagazine.com/2012/07/29/...ed-ul-iec-standards/

SoloPower, the San Jose, California-based manufacturer of high efficiency, lightweight, and flexible thin-film solar cells and modules, has received certification of its next-generation SF1, SP1, and SP3L SoloPanels(R) to both Underwriters Laboratories (UL) and the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) standards, the company announced today.

“Certification to UL and IEC standards for our SoloPanels is a testament to the outstanding work of our technology team, which has a proven track record of industry firsts for flexible CIGS modules,” said Tim Harris, CEO, SoloPower.

It represents another step towards our goal of making solar the main source of energy for commercial and industrial buildings worldwide.

SoloPower’s remaining next generation module, the SP3S SoloPanel, has been certified to UL standards, and the company anticipates certification to IEC standards in the near term. The SF1 and SP1 SoloPanels are optimized for twelve-inch and sixteen-inch standing-seam metal roof integration. The SP3L and SP3S SoloPanels are optimized for commercial and industrial low-slope building applications.

SoloPower’s new suite of solar solutions feature three first-of-their-kind, easy, non-penetrating installation kits: the SoloSaddle(TM), SoloEdge(TM), and the SoloBridge(TM), which increase application versatility while maximizing module performance across rooftops and geographies. The SoloSaddle easily integrates the SP3S into membrane-based roofing systems, while a low-slope curve provides self-cleaning and high performance in hot climates. The SoloEdge easily integrates the SP3L into membrane based roofing systems. A five-degree slope provides self-cleaning and high performance in cold climates. The SoloBridge integrates the SP3L into metal roofing systems.

“Being certified to both UL and IEC standards is a significant milestone on the road to full scale commercialization,” said Bruce Khouri, President & Chief Commercial Officer and a building integrated photovoltaics (BIPV) pioneer. “In addition to bringing to the market world-class, high efficiency, flexible modules, our first-of-their-kind rooftop installation kits are designed to rapidly expand the versatility for commercial and industrial rooftop solar applications. With BIPV as one of the fastest growing segments of the solar industry, we are thrilled to be able to share our unique solutions at Intersolar.”

SoloPower will showcase its next generation technology this week at Intersolar North America in San Francisco, one of the largest solar exhibitions in the world. Mr. Khouri will speak at Intersolar’s “Building Integrated Solutions — Concepts and Applications” session on July 10. The session will explore the meaning, history, and evolution of BIPV for rooftop applications. On July 12, Mr. Harris will be featured as part of “The Future of PV — A Market and Technology Outlook & CEO Panel.”

The certifications come at an exciting time for SoloPower. In June, the company announced an expansion of its senior leadership team to incorporate two veterans of the solar energy space, appointing Paolo Pietrogrande, Chairman of Element Power Solar, as a member of its Board of Directors and Bart Van Ouytsel to lead sales in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. SoloPower is also preparing to open its state-of-the-art, high-volume manufacturing facility in Portland, Oregon, which will begin commercial production later this year. Operations in Portland are ultimately expected to have a capacity of 400MW and employ 450 people.

SoloPower’s proprietary approach embodies critical technology, manufacturing, and cost advantages that enable large-scale “fab-style” production of high-efficiency CIGS-based photovoltaic cells. The CIGS cells are packaged into unique, flexible, lightweight solar modules that require less balance-of-system hardware and are easier to install than traditional solar panels.

For more information, visit www.SoloPower.com .

About SoloPower

Headquartered in San Jose, California, SoloPower Inc. uses innovative, proprietary roll-to-roll electrodeposition manufacturing technology to produce low-cost, lightweight and flexible high efficiency copper, indium, gallium and (di)selenide (“CIGS”) based photovoltaic cells. The CIGS cells are then packaged into unique, flexible, lightweight solar modules. The modules require less balance-of-system hardware and are easier to install than traditional solar panels. SoloPower modules are certified to both UL and IEC standards. The company is in the process of constructing its manufacturing headquarters and first high-volume manufacturing lines in Portland, Oregon. Lead investors in the company include Hudson Clean Energy Partners, Crosslink Capital, Convexa, and Firsthand. For more information on SoloPower, please visit www.solopower.com .

The SoloPower logo is available at www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=13460

SOURCE: SoloPower

www.solarthermalmagazine.com

13 Aug 2012 10:42 - 22 Apr 2016 12:19 #104 by RY

09 Oct 2012 14:41 - 22 Apr 2016 12:19 #105 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic The "GREEN" thread
Honda offers $3000 free fuel for CNG Civic. I don't know how green natural gas is but it sure is economical.

www.businessweek.com/news/2012-10-09/hon...to-promote-cng-civic

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

12 Oct 2012 08:15 #106 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic The "GREEN" thread
Only found this story on Fox, sorry leftist. Another "Opps!, Sorry." from this "Green" Admin.

Solyndra, the sequel? Bankrupt solar firm, DOE facing scrutiny over panel problems
"House Republicans are pressing the Obama administration for more information about a solar-panel company that received a $400 million loan guarantee, then went bankrupt and is now the focus of a criminal investigation."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/10/11/another-bankrupt-solar-firm-facing-scrutiny-from-lawmakers-investigators/#ixzz295tYFbIG

I did a larger search and SURPRISE, not on the MSM sites. On didn't check, huff&puffington post, & mother jones, they don't seem to come up on my computer????????

17 Oct 2012 12:24 #107 by Wicked
Replied by Wicked on topic The "GREEN" thread
This administration is far from green, which is why screw-ups keep happening; we're half-assing our effort to get off of oil. D's pander to the oil companies same as R's do - have you seen any oil subsidies getting rolled back? Uh uh. Yeah, he's made some efforts, but he hasn't been tough enough.

We'll hold this line until Hell freezes over --Then we'll hold it on ice skates.-Anonymous picket sign

Couldn’t, wouldn’t, mustn’t, shouldn’t – these are the laments of the spineless. –Bette Davis

Feminist. We Just Call Out Bulls**t Where We See It.

18 Oct 2012 07:36 #108 by TPP
Agreed, but just where would you find what ALL the subsdies are, without spending hours reading the budget?
Like this site showing where all the $$$ go... http://www.opensecrets.org/index.php

22 Oct 2012 12:04 - 22 Apr 2016 12:21 #109 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic The "GREEN" thread
How to Reduce Your Energy Bill with No Cost or Sacrifice
Adam Dachis
Oct 22, 2012

Our energy bills are just too damn high, but lowering them doesn't require spending money on green power gadgets or sacrificing your sanity. With a few simple tricks and minor adjustments to the way you operate your appliances, you can drive your energy costs down.

You can't do much else to reduce the energy costs of your electronics without investing a little money, but since they only account for an average of 17% of your energy costs that's not a big deal. If you want to spend a little money to lower your bill, however, we have a guide for that, too: How I Cut My Energy Bill By a Third with Tech and Common Sense

I've switched many of my 60 watt bulbs for 40 watt bulbs - especially in the bathroom where there are inexplicably 4 or 6 of them. 4 X 60 = 240, 4 X 40 = 160 trust me, you don't notice the difference, especially since they are right over the counter-top where you need the light concentrated. Hallways are another good spot - you really don't need a huge amount of light to see where you are going, and appreciate the dimness when you turn them on in the middle of the night. Before I used to just automatically always put 60 watt bulbs in, now I think about the use of the space and what level of brightness I need. The LED floodlights work great in the recessed cans too (not the ones with each little diode showing, those are too narrowly directional, but the ones with the diffused globe around them that look like a regular light bulb, my favorite are the EcoSmart sold at Home Depot ).

I did this after having a company come in that started us on the process of getting everything automated in our home - lights, music, TV, DVD player, thermostat, etc. They told us that just having dimmer switches on every light and lowering them by a tenth, which only the most visually-detailed people would notice, saves a ton over the course of a year. CFLs are bad for dimming (they take longer to warm up in the first place, even the "Instant-on" ones, and I've found that dimming them makes them hum louder), so go with LEDs if you're going to do that. They've now got them available in Bright White, Soft White, and Warm White, from 2 Watts equivalents all the way up to 100 watt equivalents.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

22 Oct 2012 14:51 #110 by TPP
Good for you switching from 60w to 40w. Laeves more for the rest of us, and besides you'll pay for it in eye care. So, I ask which is cheaper 40w bulbs or eyecare? Yes, you sold me on LED bulbs, but until they come down in cost, I'll keep using the one I won, and getting 60watt, until than...

Come to think of it candles are even cheaper, look at all the electric you'll be saving the EARTH.

Time to create page: 0.213 seconds