The "GREEN" thread

10 Nov 2011 12:01 #91 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic The "GREEN" thread
The question I have Moonchild, Does it make you FEEL good to use your cup over & over?
Knowing the the papercup will biodegrade a lot faster, than your (I assume) your plastic cup will last forever (OK a very long time) in a landfill?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Dec 2011 15:08 - 22 Apr 2016 12:12 #92 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic The "GREEN" thread
www.grist.org/list/2011-12-30-times-squa...rop-switches-to-leds
Times Square ball-drop switches to LEDs
by Sarah Laskow
30 Dec 2011

Despite Republicans' efforts to equate efficient lighting with tyranny, the age of incandescent bulbs will be officially over as of Jan. 1. The best indication of this switch-over is not any one piece of legislation coming out of Washington, but a totally symbolic move: When the Times Square balls drops at midnight on New Year's Eve, its shining light will be emanating from 32,256 LED bulbs.

In summary: Bye-bye incandescents. We won't miss you.

forummedia.us/philips/

Today’s Ball benefits from unmatched investment in LED technology, with its modules lasting about 30,000 hours and using just 22 watts of electricity. This is an 88% reduction in energy use and 573 tons less of CO2 then its previous lighting source.

Additional Times Square Ball Facts:
The Ball consumes the same amount of energy per hour as it takes to operate just two traditional home ovens. (Source: U.S. Department of Energy - Consumer Appliance Energy Use)
The Ball is lit by 32,256 Philips Luxeon Rebel LEDs (light emitting diodes), each of which can be digitally controlled to create extraordinary effects.
The LED lighting in the Ball has a rated average life of 30,000 hours, compared to the roughly 1,000 hour life span of previous incandescent and halogen solutions.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

02 Jan 2012 15:54 #93 by RY
Replied by RY on topic The "GREEN" thread
The importance of trees..

[youtube:1xuhko9b]
[/youtube:1xuhko9b]

02 Jan 2012 15:56 - 22 Apr 2016 12:12 #94 by RY

Moonchild wrote: Whenever I go into places where I get to-go drinks, especially Jamba Juice, I take my own cup with me so I don't add to the landfills. It's good that Starbucks is focusing on this, with as busy as they are!

Starbucks looks for ways to encourage paper cup recycling
The world’s biggest coffee chain wants to convince everyone from recycling companies to paper mills that it’s worth the effort to recycle paper cups.
www.mnn.com/food/beverages/stories/starb...-paper-cup-recycling

good for you Moonchild. I do the same, most of us have cups with us anyways, so why not use them :heart: :like:

26 Jan 2012 13:52 - 22 Apr 2016 12:14 #95 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic The "GREEN" thread
grist.org/green-home/ask-umbra-why-are-m...ning-out-so-quickly/
Ask Umbra: Why are my CFLs burning out so quickly?
By Ask Umbra
23 Jan 2012

Q. Dear Umbra,

A CFL that I’ve had for less than a year just burnt out. It’s happened to me numerous times before. We’re told that one of the money-saving benefits of CFLs is that they last much longer than incandescent bulbs, but that’s not been my experience. Am I buying the wrong brands? Has demand for cheap CFLs caused manufacturers to cut corners? What’s the deal?

A. I can’t say for sure why your bulbs are fading so fast, but I do adore this handy chart of CFL Killers from Seattle City Light, which also offers tips for getting the most from your bulbs.

File Attachment:

From switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/nhorowitz/new...ng_bulbs_are_co.html

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

27 Jan 2012 09:08 - 22 Apr 2016 12:14 #96 by Reverend Revelant
There's no compelling scientific argument for drastic action to 'decarbonize' the world's economy.

A candidate for public office in any contemporary democracy may have to consider what, if anything, to do about "global warming." Candidates should understand that the oft-repeated claim that nearly all scientists demand that something dramatic be done to stop global warming is not true. In fact, a large and growing number of distinguished scientists and engineers do not agree that drastic actions on global warming are needed.

Perhaps the most inconvenient fact is the lack of global warming for well over 10 years now. [...] suggests that computer models have greatly exaggerated how much warming additional CO2 can cause.

online.wsj.com/article/SB100014240529702...mod=rss_opinion_main

Read the whole letter. The following scientist are the signatories of this letter... these are peer reviewed experts in their fields, scientists in the whole sense of the word and not just some lab technicians or assistants. See my detailed essay on the faulty computer models at www.pinecam.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=106244 )

Claude Allegre, former director of the Institute for the Study of the Earth, University of Paris; J. Scott Armstrong, cofounder of the Journal of Forecasting and the International Journal of Forecasting; Jan Breslow, head of the Laboratory of Biochemical Genetics and Metabolism, Rockefeller University; Roger Cohen, fellow, American Physical Society; Edward David, member, National Academy of Engineering and National Academy of Sciences; William Happer, professor of physics, Princeton; Michael Kelly, professor of technology, University of Cambridge, U.K.; William Kininmonth, former head of climate research at the Australian Bureau of Meteorology; Richard Lindzen, professor of atmospheric sciences, MIT; James McGrath, professor of chemistry, Virginia Technical University; Rodney Nichols, former president and CEO of the New York Academy of Sciences; Burt Rutan, aerospace engineer, designer of Voyager and SpaceShipOne; Harrison H. Schmitt, Apollo 17 astronaut and former U.S. senator; Nir Shaviv, professor of astrophysics, Hebrew University, Jerusalem; Henk Tennekes, former director, Royal Dutch Meteorological Service; Antonio Zichichi, president of the World Federation of Scientists, Geneva.[/i]

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

04 Feb 2012 15:46 #97 by ZHawke
Replied by ZHawke on topic The "GREEN" thread
Love/hate relationship with dandelions. Don't know if the linked site "qualifies" for this thread - hope it does. Found it in my random ramblings and decided since we "grow" so many dandelions on our property, this might be something we should consider doing. I know dandelions have long been used in winemaking, but wasn't aware of their "healthy" qualities.

http://energybulletin.net/node/52500#.TxUUeT6z4kQ.facebook

17 Apr 2012 14:42 - 22 Apr 2016 12:15 #98 by RY
Power Retreat - take yourself off the grid for a day

www.royalyogabailey.com/royal-yoga-blog.html

20 May 2012 18:12 - 22 Apr 2016 12:15 #99 by RY
Green architecture, made in Germany

www.fincube.eu/en

07 Jun 2012 18:48 - 22 Apr 2016 12:16 #100 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic The "GREEN" thread
Just heard an ad for this place (Green Sheen), paint recycler in Centennial. Latex only I think. I must have 15 cans of paint in the garage. LOL
Sounds like a great idea!
www.greensheenpaint.com/recycle.php

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds