The "GREEN" thread

03 Jul 2011 17:12 - 22 Apr 2016 12:02 #81 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic The "GREEN" thread

Science Chic wrote: Whoo-hoo Denver!!

www.grist.org/list/2011-07-01-top-10-gre...ies-in-north-america
Top 10 greenest cities in North America

What? No Boulder or Portland Oregon? Must be large cities only. And LaLa Land is green???

1. San Francisco
2. Vancouver
3. New York
4. Seattle
5. Denver
6. Boston
7. Los Angeles
8. D.C.
9. Toronto
10. Minneapolis

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Aug 2011 23:24 - 22 Apr 2016 12:03 #82 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic The "GREEN" thread
I had the pleasure of meeting the owner at CU Denver Business School's Annual Business Plan Competition, where he was one of the 6 finalists, just after he'd gotten the patent. His goal of replacing out kerosene lamps in the developing world will make a huge difference! Happy to see he's made it to the point that he's being covered on CNN!

edition.cnn.com/2011/TECH/innovation/08/...ndex.html?&hpt=hp_c2
Bringing solar light bulbs to the world
By Jim Spellman, CNN
August 15, 2011
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
Inventor Steve Katsaros created a light bulb charged by the sun
He hopes it will help the 1.4 billion people who have no access to electricity
Instead of donating the bulbs, he plans to sell them using social entrepreneurship
Social entrepreneurship utilizes capitalist principles to assist people in the developing world

Denver (CNN) -- It started with such a simple concept: A solar light bulb that charges up during the day and lights the night when the sun sets.

Inventor Steve Katsaros perfected his design in June 2010, and four days later he had a patent in hand. He knew it was a good product, but he didn't know what to do with it.

"It wasn't until after we created it that we asked ourselves, 'How do we market this,'" Katsaros says. "And we learned that the largest market was the developing world." As Katsaros began researching markets in developing countries, he began to realize that his solar light bulb could potentially make a huge impact on the 1.4 billion people around the world who don't have access to an electrical grid.

Many use fuel lamps that burn kerosene, which is costly, dirty and can also be unhealthy.

He dubbed his company Nokero -- short for "No Kerosene" -- and set out to get his bulbs into as many hands a possible in the developing world.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

21 Aug 2011 09:21 - 22 Apr 2016 12:03 #83 by
Replied by on topic The "GREEN" thread
School Cuts Energy Costs With Sticky Notes

amazingnews.org/school-cuts-energy-costs...sticky-notes/562290/

26 Aug 2011 10:50 #84 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic The "GREEN" thread
For all those “Green folks” this is in the room at Mt. Priceton, a single severing Plastic cup of coffee. All fine and good.

Every lamp in the room was a swrill lamp, but the maids/staff had unscrewed two of the ones over the TV. Two over the bathroomsink, and of the two on each side of the beds, 1 was unscewed. So I screwed them all in and it was like we were standing at a Movie premire (or algore house), had to go unscrew them so as not to have our eyes burnt out. So, they are saving the light but adding to the landfills by the tons….
O the little refegioratopr, was turned to “0”, so it only took a few hours to get cold, at FULL BLAST!
No A.C., but we did have a fan. So, as we left I screwed all the lamps in, turned on the fan full blast, closed the window, and made 4 cups of whatever that was… almost left the water running, but wiffie said that was a bit much, I agreed.
P.C. "GREEN BULLSH*T, gone amok, again....

26 Aug 2011 10:54 - 22 Apr 2016 12:04 #85 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic The "GREEN" thread

CinnamonGirl wrote: School Cuts Energy Costs With Sticky Notes

amazingnews.org/school-cuts-energy-costs...sticky-notes/562290/

What NO Chalk board or white/wipe board???????

28 Sep 2011 13:57 - 22 Apr 2016 12:04 #86 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic The "GREEN" thread
www.engadget.com/2011/09/16/mercedes-ben...re-runs-on-hydrogen/
Mercedes-Benz F 125! looks like the future, runs on hydrogen
By Tim Stevens posted Sep 16th 2011

As expected, the feature concept car being shown by Mercedes-Benz at Frankfurt this year was the F 125! But Merc isn't actually calling it a concept, rather a "research vehicle" that will help the company work toward a gasoline-free future. In this case it's a hydrogen-filled future, with this car running on compressed gas and so giving off only water vapor and oxygen as emissions. But, it's also a plug-in, meaning you can charge this thing up on your garage in addition to topping off the tank at your local H2 filling station -- at some point in the future when you actually have an H2 filling station. Read on for more details.

Can't they make these things look sleeker? :)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

02 Oct 2011 16:46 - 22 Apr 2016 12:05 #87 by Moonchild
Replied by Moonchild on topic The "GREEN" thread
Whenever I go into places where I get to-go drinks, especially Jamba Juice, I take my own cup with me so I don't add to the landfills. It's good that Starbucks is focusing on this, with as busy as they are!

Starbucks looks for ways to encourage paper cup recycling
The world’s biggest coffee chain wants to convince everyone from recycling companies to paper mills that it’s worth the effort to recycle paper cups.
www.mnn.com/food/beverages/stories/starb...-paper-cup-recycling

10 Nov 2011 08:13 - 22 Apr 2016 12:10 #88 by Reverend Revelant

Moonchild wrote: Whenever I go into places where I get to-go drinks, especially Jamba Juice, I take my own cup with me so I don't add to the landfills. It's good that Starbucks is focusing on this, with as busy as they are!

The world’s biggest coffee chain wants to convince everyone from recycling companies to paper mills that it’s worth the effort to recycle paper cups.

Do you carry your own toilet paper with you too?

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

10 Nov 2011 10:04 - 22 Apr 2016 12:10 #89 by Whatevergreen
Replied by Whatevergreen on topic The "GREEN" thread

Moonchild wrote: Whenever I go into places where I get to-go drinks, especially Jamba Juice, I take my own cup with me so I don't add to the landfills. It's good that Starbucks is focusing on this, with as busy as they are!

That is a great idea if you go there often. I keep a travel coffee mug in the car and don't have to use the paper ones if I need a fill up. My mug keeps it hot and won't spill.

10 Nov 2011 11:01 - 22 Apr 2016 12:11 #90 by Moonchild
Replied by Moonchild on topic The "GREEN" thread

The Liberals GOP Twin wrote:

Do you carry your own toilet paper with you too?

I'm sorry, but this seems like a silly question to me Sir. Why would it matter whether I use my own toilet paper, or a business-supplied toilet paper? I will use the same minimal amount regardless.

Time to create page: 0.210 seconds