The "GREEN" thread

18 May 2011 22:18 #71 by archer
Replied by archer on topic The "GREEN" thread

TPP wrote: Wiffie pick up a couple of those damn swrill bulb, and refused to take them back, so we have one in the washer/dryer room on 24/7, and one in the down stairs bathroom. The one in the bathroom, next died 5years my a$$. (less than a year) A LIE or a bad bulb.
So, thought that if this swrill died so soon, maybe it was because of the contsent on & off, switching... Will let ya know when the new one dies in the bathroom, and when the wash room dies.
BTW bad gets thrown out like all the other light bulbs, there's enough folks out ther that mine will not matter.

TPP....the "new" bulbs weren't intended to be turned off and on frequently (like in a bathroom) they don't last very long when you do that. We learned that the hard way too....personally, I'm no big fan of those bulbs, almost everything we have in the house has a dimmer or is a three way.....I guess now they have new bulbs that will accomodate that but I have yet to buy any. For now, I'm working off our stash of "good old bulbs" I really am a bad liberal....I know.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 May 2011 22:24 #72 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic The "GREEN" thread
I think, like all products, there are lemons. I've had a couple of CFLs die quickly (especially if they are the "open" type, not enclosed in a globe, and they are put out in the garage - temp extremes kill them quicker), but most of the ones in my house have been going since I put them in 2 years ago. I'm switching them over to LEDs though, since they've finally come out with ones that look like natural light. The LEDs are dimmable (as are many CFLs), but not available in 3-way, or above 45watt equivalent yet. (In the Science Odds and Ends thread is a recent post about 75W and 100W equivalent coming to market soon, and full spectrum LEDs that will produce better, brighter light as well. Technology marches on!).

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

18 May 2011 22:28 #73 by archer
Replied by archer on topic The "GREEN" thread
technology may march on, but when will the price drop?....$50 for a bulb may well be out of a lot of people's league. I don't think we have a single 100w bulb in our house and very few 75w......I've always liked softer light, even to read by.

18 May 2011 22:47 - 22 Apr 2016 11:20 #74 by ScienceChic
I think I read that within a couple of years that $50 should be down to $25 (I currently pay $20-25 for my Home Depot LED bulbs and floods). If they can commercialize the full spectrum LEDs (currently the "white" light put off is created by coloring blue LEDs with yellow phosphorous), then they should go down a lot more.

Cost comparison incandescents vs CFLs vs LEDs
www.greenearthled.com/news3.html

www.thesimpledollar.com/2009/02/10/the-l...w-and-in-the-future/

www.scribd.com/doc/3222967/Incandescent-vs-CFL-vs-LED-Savings

ees2001.wordpress.com/2011/04/01/led-vs-...omparison-on-safety/

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

20 May 2011 00:36 #75 by MsMAM
Replied by MsMAM on topic The "GREEN" thread

TPP wrote: So, it's is ture ya can't read, my daughter is a SMART teacher (NOT A UNION MEMBER), maybe she could help.

I see you are still crabby, TPP. Oh well, you must like "wallering" in it.

The newest car I have is a 2002. I use them up and fix them as I can.

01 Jun 2011 10:22 - 22 Apr 2016 11:46 #76 by ScienceChic
www.grist.org/list/2011-05-31-buildings-...-they-use-gain-steam
Buildings that make more energy than they use gain steam
by Christopher Mims
31 May 2011

If every building made more energy than it uses, would all the world's power plants pack up and go home? Maybe education would be fully funded and the military would be forced to have a bake sale!

But really: There is a building in Bellenberg, Germany that produces more energy than it consumes, mostly by being super energy efficient in the first place. It also has solar panels for electricity and ground-source heat pumps for heating and cooling. It doesn't just produce a little more energy than it uses, either: It's making 80 percent more juice per year than it consumes.

Read more in Forbes blog here

01 Jun 2011 11:13 #77 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic The "GREEN" thread

MsMAM wrote:

TPP wrote: So, it's is ture ya can't read, my daughter is a SMART teacher (NOT A UNION MEMBER), maybe she could help.

I see you are still crabby, TPP. Oh well, you must like "wallering" in it.

The newest car I have is a 2002. I use them up and fix them as I can.

rofllol , between me & vl, that's nice! :lol:

19 Jun 2011 15:30 - 22 Apr 2016 11:47 #78 by ScienceChic
:like:

switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/kbenfield/whi..._scotland_reall.html
Whisky = Power in Scotland. Really.
Kaid Benfield
Posted June 14, 2011

Helius Energy has announced the awarding of contracts to build a 7.2-megawatt, biomass-fueled electricity plant in Morayshire, Scotland. “The plant will condition and burn solid residues from malt whisky distilling and wood fuel,” according to a press release issued earlier this year by the company.

In an article posted last month on the design web site Inhabitat, Lori Zimmer writes that the facility will produce enough energy to power 9,000 homes. Zimmer continues:

“The by-products of the distilling process – called draff, are used grains and pot ale (residue from copper stills) – will power the plant. The new power plant will recycle the draff into electricity, by burning it with woodchips . . .

“The waste pot ale, an organic product, will be concentrated and made into an organic fertilizer that can be used on crops by local farmers, as well as an animal feed. Before this innovative new project, distillery waste was merely dumped off site in landfills.

“The £40 milllion, 7.2 megawatt plant will produce as much power as two wind turbines, and is part of Scotland’s green energy pledge to use 100% renewable energy by 2020.”

Helius says that, in addition to the whisky by-products, the wood chips that will be used in the process will also come from sustainable sources. The net environmental benefit will be significant, says the company:

“The operational plant will deliver greenhouse gas savings of some 46,000 tonnes of CO2 per year compared to UK coal fired stations and will operate at a fraction of the recently announced targets for emissions set in the sustainability criteria under the Renewables Obligations (Scotland) Order.”

www.heliusenergy.com/

21 Jun 2011 22:45 - 22 Apr 2016 11:50 #79 by ScienceChic
[url=http://ecosnobberysucks.com/2011/06/ibamboo-speakers-rock-your-iphone-tunes-sans-energy/
iBamboo speakers rock your iPhone tunes sans energy
June 17, 2011 By Jeffrey Davis

Merging the latest high tech with the simple beauty of nature, iBamboo is a 100% eco-friendly speaker made from a whole length of bamboo. The natural resonance of the bamboo amplifies the sound produced by the iPhone’s built-in speaker. The sound waves move in two directions at once, intensifying the stereo effect created by the iPhone.

...the project’s Kickstarter page ...if you like the idea, consider pledging some support — a pledge of $25 will reserve you one of the 1st iBamboo speakers too.

Listen to it play on a video here: kck.st/l1JWXT

03 Jul 2011 14:33 - 22 Apr 2016 11:50 #80 by ScienceChic
Whoo-hoo Denver!!

www.grist.org/list/2011-07-01-top-10-gre...ies-in-north-america
Top 10 greenest cities in North America
by Jess Zimmerman
1 Jul 2011

It seems like we get a new list of greenest, most climate-change-prepared, most bike-friendly etc. cities every week or so. But we never really get tired of looking at these rankings, and checking them against each other to decide where we should fantasize about moving. Today, it's a list of the top greenest cities in North America from Siemens and the Economist Intelligence Unit. This ranking takes into account carbon emissions, land use, transportation, energy usage, buildings, water and air quality, waste, and environmental governance.

The TIME blog article

The difference often boils down to leadership, with powerful mayors like New York's Michael Bloomberg—whatever you think of him—able to keep their cities focused on sustainability for the long-term. "The mayors we talk to sound more like CEOs than politicians, because they're focused on the bottom line," says Siegel. "For them, sustainability means business ."

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds