Science Odds and Ends

18 Oct 2010 10:55 #11 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic Science Odds and Ends
I'm stealing the Pop Quiz link

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Oct 2010 13:13 #12 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic Science Odds and Ends
This is another really good site for Grady maybe it will help ya...
http://newton.dep.anl.gov/aasquesv.htm

Than you wouldn't have ti highjack the Pop Quiz thread... :thumbsup:

18 Oct 2010 13:17 #13 by TPP
And just to keep things moving, this is a good article...
http://www.cgfi.org/2010/08/taxes-dust-and-oysters-feds-busy-but-wrong-by-dennis-t-avery/
TAXES, DUST, AND OYSTERS: FEDS BUSY BUT WRONG, BY: DENNIS T. AVERY
CHURCHVILLE, VA—The Obama administration seems deeply committed to policies that can’t work.
The President is demanding hefty energy taxes to “save the planet.” Unfortunately the proposed reductions in U.S. greenhouse emissions would have virtually no impact on he earth’s temperatures—even if CO2 is the culprit that it doesn’t seem to be. A 22 percent correlation between CO2 and our thermometer record isn’t very strong evidence on which to rake away an annual $900 billion in extra “energy taxes.”
Meanwhile, the EPA is trying to deregister pesticides to which it has already given a clean bill of health, to appease the chemophobes on the Left. That currently means banning atrazine, a key ingredient in no-till farming, the most sustainable farming system Americans have ever had. Stanford University says such high yield farming has forestalled the plow-down of another 7 million square miles of wildlife habitat—and forestalled the loss of soil carbon equal to one-third of the world’s industrial emissions since 1850!
EPA is also proposing to clamp down on farm dust. It may be news to EPA, but a lot of farming activities necessarily raise dust. Should we sprinkle water over the harrows and no-till planters, over the grain augers, over the lime application trucks, and the farm pickups driving down unpaved roads? That would be hugely expensive and time-consuming not to mention taking scarce water away from the crops and cities.
My favorite Obama dead end is the Chesapeake Bay project. Over the past 30 years, we’ve spent billions of federal dollars trying to reduce the nitrogen and other nutrients that get into the Bay, with absolutely no impact on the murky water. The Obama strategy is to double down, as they did with their British-style “health care reform” that has failed everywhere—including Britain. But as the British decentralize their medical decisions to 50,000 doctors, the EPA will now install mandatory farm management requirements around the Bay.
When the Bay was healthy, the water stayed clear because it was constantly filtered by the Bay’s huge oyster population. The oyster-cleared water fostered more eel grass on the bottom to shelter baby crabs and fish. The oysters and eel-grass also broke down huge tonnages of nitrogen and other nutrients naturally. Then the oyster population collapsed.
The logical key to a clean bay is restoring the oysters. Until recently, we just didn’t know how. We may now have that capability.
The new strategy has little to do with farming and nitrogen. The Corps of Engineers has produced a rapidly expanding oyster population in the Great Wicomico River by rebuilding the high shell reefs (12–16 inches) typical of the natural Bay. These high shell reefs kept the oysters up off the river bottom, above the sediment, and in strong enough currents that the viruses now ravaging the Bay mollusks had far less impact. The Great Wicomico now has 185 million thriving oysters, about as many as all the waters of Maryland!
This success strongly suggests that oyster dredging caused the Bay shellfish collapse, especially the power dredging allowed since World War II. Restoration would mean building high shell reefs in many of the key streams, and protecting them from harvest until they’ve had a chance to expand the high shell reefs and reseed the bay with spat.
We’ll also need a new, cost-effective way to harvest the oysters, without going back to the laborious hand-tonging. Does that mean vacuum tubes, handled by scuba divers? This line of approach certainly looks more productive than the Obama call to shut down the Bay region’s high-yield farmers.
Insanity is continuing to do what you’ve been doing, and expecting a different result.
Sources:
Jacqueline Sit, “EPA to Crack Down on Farm Dust; News9.com, July 30, 2010
D. Schulte, R. Burke, R. Lipclus; “Unprecedented Restoration of a Native Oyster Metapopulation,” Science, 28 August 2009.

18 Oct 2010 14:38 #14 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Science Odds and Ends

TPP wrote: http://www.cgfi.org/2010/08/taxes-dust-and-oysters-feds-busy-but-wrong-by-dennis-t-avery/
TAXES, DUST, AND OYSTERS: FEDS BUSY BUT WRONG, BY: DENNIS T. AVERY
CHURCHVILLE, VA—The Obama administration seems deeply committed to policies that can’t work.
The President is demanding hefty energy taxes to “save the planet.” Unfortunately the proposed reductions in U.S. greenhouse emissions would have virtually no impact on he earth’s temperatures—even if CO2 is the culprit that it doesn’t seem to be. A 22 percent correlation between CO2 and our thermometer record isn’t very strong evidence on which to rake away an annual $900 billion in extra “energy taxes.”

I've recently discussed the dust and pesticide issues so I won't go into them here, I mostly agree on the Chesapeake Bay thing, but "a 22% correlation between CO2 and temp records"? Huh? It's a clever way to disguise the actual direct effects of CO2 on global temperatures. CO2 does not have a 22% effect on temps, and discussing it such a manner completely ignores its role in feedback loops. It also conveniently ignores other effects of increased CO2, such as ocean acidification.
http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/ar ... uivalents/
CO2 equivalents

Magnitude The values of CO2_e (Kyoto) and CO2_e (Total) can be calculated from Figure 2.21 and Table 2.12 in the IPCC WG1 Chapter 2. The forcing for CO2, CH4 (including indirect effects), N2O and CFCs is 1.66+0.48+0.07+0.16+0.34=2.71 W/m2 (with around 0.3 W/m2 uncertainty). Using the formula above, that gives CO2_e (Kyoto) = 460 ppmv. However, including all the forcings (some of which are negative), you get a net forcing of around 1.6 W/m2, and a CO2_e (Total) of 375 ppmv with quite a wide error bar. This is, coincidently, close to the actual CO2 level.

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/ar ... -only-ghg/
CO2 is not the only greenhouse gas, and greenhouse effects are not the only CO2 problem
http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/ar ... asy-steps/
The CO2 problem in 6 easy steps

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/ar ... e-hot-air/
http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Dennis_Avery
http://wonkroom.thinkprogress.org/2009/ ... corrected/

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

21 Oct 2010 00:01 #15 by ScienceChic
http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... e-progress
How Close Is a Universal Influenza Vaccine That Could Provide Lifelong Immunity with One Shot?
By Katherine Harmon October 18, 2010

The hunt for a universal flu vaccine, a single shot that would provide lifelong immunity, has been going on for decades, and many teams of researchers have been on the case. The effort is complicated because there are some 16 types of key surface proteins (hemagglutinin) that help the virus bind to host cells, in addition to the several varieties of viral neuraminidase proteins. Changes in the viruses' proteins help it evade identification by the immune system.

A series of discoveries by different groups of researchers have zeroed in on a highly conserved (nonmutated) region of the virus. And a new study, published online October 18 in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, has piggybacked on these findings to develop synthetic vaccine that has been effective in warding off several different types of influenza in mice. How does it work—and could it work in humans?

[An edited transcript of the interview with Peter Palese, a co-author of the new study and chair of the Department of Microbiology at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York City, follows.]

The study: http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2010/ ... 7.abstract

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... ear-me-now
Can You Hear Me Now? The Truth about Cell Phones and Cancer
Physics shows that cell phones cannot cause cancer
By Michael Shermer October 4, 2010

Cell phones cannot cause cancer, because they do not emit enough energy to break the molecular bonds inside cells. According to phys­i­­cist Bernard Leikind in a technical article in Skeptic magazine (Vol. 15, No. 4), known carcinogens such as x-rays, gamma rays and UV rays have energies greater than 480 kilojoules per mole (kJ/mole), which is enough to break chemical bonds. Green-light photons hold 240 kJ/mole of energy, which is enough to bend (but not break) the rhodopsin molecules in our retinas that trigger our photosensitive rod cells to fire. A cell phone generates radiation of less than 0.001 kJ/mole. Even making the cell phone ra­di­a­tion more intense just means that there are more photons of that energy, not stronger photons.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... d-religion
Was Darwin a Punk? A Q&A with Punker-Paleontologist Greg Graffin
By David Biello September 28, 2010

S.A.: How are evolution and punk rock related?
G.G.: The idea with both is that you challenge authority, you challenge the dogma. You challenge the doctrine in order to make progress.

S.A.: Einstein said, "To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself." Isn't science just another form of authority?
G.G.: That encapsulates the struggle so nicely: How do you subscribe to an authority without becoming authoritarian? There is nothing wrong with being the right kind of authority. Someone who is willing to throw it all away at the drop of a hat—even if it means discarding his or her life's work—because a new discovery was made. That is the best kind of authority.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... -glamorous
Status Update: "I'm So Glamorous"
A study of Facebook users shows how narcissism and low self-esteem can be interrelated
By John H. Tucker November 2, 2010

Psychology researcher Soraya Mehdizadeh has discovered a way to poke through the offline-online curtain: she has used Facebook to predict a person’s level of narcissism and self-esteem. After measuring each subject using the Narcissism Personality Inventory and Rosenberg Self-Esteem Scale, Meh­dizadeh, who graduated from York this past spring, discovered narcissists and people with lower self-esteem were more likely to spend more than an hour a day on Facebook and were more prone to post self-promotional photos (striking a pose or using Photoshop, for example). Narcissists were also more likely to showcase themselves through status updates (using phrases like “I’m so glamorous I bleed glitter”) and wall activity (posting self-serving links like “My Celebrity Look-alikes”). Some psychologists believe that narcissists—those who have a pervasive pattern of grandiosity, a need for admiration, as well as a lack of empathy—unconsciously inflate their sense of self-importance as a defense against feeling inadequate. Not enough empirical research has been produced to confirm that link, although Mehdizadeh’s study seems to support it.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

21 Oct 2010 04:53 #16 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Science Odds and Ends
SC I have loved this thread and your info.

A study of Facebook users shows how narcissism and low self-esteem can be interrelated
By John H. Tucker November 2, 2010 0

Sorry but on this one I think they are nuts. We are narcissistic because we use fb? The whole point of using FB is to talk to others and post about yourself. I have found that many psychologists take themselves too seriously and this is a perfect example. I have found very few psychology publications to be true. And they tend to tell us who we are because they are psychologists. Just my humble opinion. Love this stuff you are posting. Including this article.

21 Oct 2010 04:56 #17 by TPP
Swiss Archaeologists Find Door Into History
Published October 20, 2010 Associated Press
(sorry couldn't paste picture)
AP Photo/Hochbaudepartment Zurich
Archaeologists in the Swiss city of Zurich have found a 5,000-year old door -- which may be the oldest ever found in Europe. Chief archaeologist Niels Bleicher says the ancient poplar wood door
is "solid and elegant" with well-preserved hinges and a "remarkable" design for holding the boards together.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/10/20/swiss-archaeology-oldest-door-europe/

21 Oct 2010 04:59 #18 by TPP
I missed this... I can now sleep at night.
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/10/19/apocalypse-postponed/
2012 Apocalypse -- Postponed
Published October 19, 2010
U.S. Dept. of Energy
Good news -- the Mayan calendar may not end on Dec. 21, 2012.
The end of the world is coming! Or here, maybe. Or did it already happen?

21 Oct 2010 09:14 #19 by ScienceChic

CinnamonGirl wrote: SC I have loved this thread and your info.

By John H. Tucker November 2, 2010 0

Sorry but on this one I think they are nuts. We are narcissistic because we use fb? The whole point of using FB is to talk to others and post about yourself. I have found that many psychologists take themselves too seriously and this is a perfect example. I have found very few psychology publications to be true. And they tend to tell us who we are because they are psychologists. Just my humble opinion. Love this stuff you are posting. Including this article.

Thanks CG! (Thanks too for suggesting that I do this - it's been fun and a great way to better keep up on the news myself! And what a pleasant surprise that TPP contributes as well! Thanks TPP! Everyone else - feel free to add!).

No, we aren't narcissistic b/c we use facebook, people who are already narcissists are more likely to use facebook as an outlet.

Because narcissists have less capacity to sustain intimate or long-term relationships, Mehdizadeh thinks that they would be more drawn to the online world of virtual friends and emotionally detached communication.

Although it seems that Facebook can be used by narcissists to fuel their inflated egos, Mehdizadeh stops short of proclaiming that excessive time spent on Facebook can turn regular users into narcissists. She also notes that social-networking sites might ultimately be found to have positive effects when used by people with low self-esteem or depression. “If individuals with lower self-esteem are more prone to using Facebook,” she says, “the question becomes, ‘Can Facebook help raise self-esteem by allowing patients to talk to each other and help each other in a socially interactive environment?’

21 Oct 2010 12:44 #20 by ScienceChic
Geeks Are Sexy! How many, and which, categories do you fit into? (I've got 9! :woo hoo: - Books, Politics, Pop Culture, Academic, Film, Star Trek, Food, Fantasy Football, and, of course, Geek Chic!). I can't believe they don't have a Wine Geek on there - that would fit better for me than food. What others are missing? Car/Automotive Geek?
http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2010/10/20/ ... -the-geek/
File Attachment:

Uploaded with [url=http://imageshack.us:2taskaer]ImageShack.us[/url]
Sorry the text is too small to read - a bigger image won't work well here, but I wanted to post the teaser to get you to look at it!

Time to create page: 0.582 seconds