A time without Values

11 Nov 2010 11:54 #1 by Jonathan Hemlock
Hello Dr. Mike,

"I am a long time listener but a first time caller." :lol:

Lately, I have been thinking about those days when men held Honor and Chivarly as some of the highest of values. I also know that during the Medieval Period, men were quite barbaric. But, I want to believe that in those times, a man's word was as good a bond as anything we may have today.

My question to you is this: Have you ever done any study in the area of what happens to people or even to a nation of people when they let their values slip so far that it seems almost impossible to gain the trust of anyone.

Another aspect of what I'm saying is, I also like to think that men like Thomas Jefferson, George Washington and Benjamin Franklin, although they were only human and made mistakes, were still very honorable men. Something I think that has unfortunately slipped away from us, making honor only something we can feel nostalgic about.

Any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Nov 2010 12:49 #2 by DrMike
Replied by DrMike on topic A time without Values
Great question Jonathan, love questions, so thanks for this one. I will share my feelings and thoughts, again JMHO. I think today's generation have different expectations then we did growing up. I could always trust what my dad in what he said to be honest, he has never lied to me. Its seems that generation was the last greatest generation. I see old movie clips of those who I thought were good role models or hero's. I had a client ask me who was my hero's growing up. I never mentioned my dad, never knew why, but it was always an athlete or an actor. Jimmy Stewart, Van Johnson as actors. My athletes were Harmon Killebrew, or Jessie Owens. I think you could trust these kind of men. I look at today's generation, and who would I say that I would look up to? No one! I look at historical figures like, Lincoln, Washington, Jefferson, and wonder where have these types of hero's gone? I'm sure they are out there, but why do we have a hard time finding them? I'm sure my age has something to do with it, but where are our hero's now? I will have to think about your question and give it more thought. Anyone else care to share their thoughts?

12 Nov 2010 13:25 #3 by Jonathan Hemlock
Dr Mke,

Thanks for your response. It does give me something to think about.

12 Nov 2010 15:50 #4 by ComputerBreath
I look up to a lot of the supervisors I had when I was active duty military. Whether they were active duty themselves, former military, retired military, or civilians that had been associated with the Department of Defense for a long time...all of them were upstanding people with integrity.

My mom is my ultimate hero...she has weathered more than any one mother should have to and has done so with grace and peace and is still willing to go out of her way to help others.

12 Nov 2010 17:45 #5 by DrMike
CB, military hero's great thought, the ones I so much read about growing up are the ones who were big names during their time. George Patton, Gen Bradley, Sgt York, Grant, Washington, those are some men who stepped up to the plate. I have met a few Medal of Honor recipients, very humble men each one of them. I have met some generals who have volumes of books written about them, who were as common as you and I, and down to earth.

JH, I have seen morals chance drastically over the past several years. What happened to being polite and soft spoken. Now if you speak your thoughts to the wrong people, you can get a label attached to you. I see rude everyday, people that drive on 285, people at King Soopers, or safeway, at gas stations. People will not help others, kindness of the most part is rare these days. Trust issues are abundant these days, who can you trust? If you help someone, will you be sued. If you defend your property or you life, will the attacker sue you for defending yourself? I miss hearing my grandfather tell me stories about the "Good Old Days." He painted some wonderful pictures of living on the farm and making a living. Now family farming is becoming a hard to do, people just can't do it anymore, why? I think we need to get back to the basics, education, respecting each other, God and country, helping each other, and loving each other. Again my friends, these are just some thoughts that are running through my mind. What are your thoughts?

13 Nov 2010 08:15 #6 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic A time without Values

...and wonder where have these types of hero's gone? I'm sure they are out there, but why do we have a hard time finding them?

Good post! I think the heroes and honorable people are around, most are low profile and don't toot their horn so you don't see it unless you look hard. I like the everyday hero reports on 7news. http://www.thedenverchannel.com/7everyd ... index.html There are lots of people doing great work and volunteering.

Why there are fewer honorable leaders and sports figures, etc? That is a good question. Probably has to do with money and power?

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

13 Nov 2010 09:36 #7 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic A time without Values
I'm with Joe on this. The heros are the single parents who do all they can to make life comfortable for their kids mostly at a personal expense. It's the mentors who give of their knowledge for the benefit of others. Even in sports class can be found, Roger Federer comes to mind, but there are others even in football. Seems I recall an article about a Pittsburgh Steeler who does great things for the community but he is so low key about it few know. Politicians leave me cold. I do not recall there being any honer among them. My heros are the little innocent kids who are just themselves without having been hardened by adult biases and perspectives. I'd like to emulate them and live by a standard that when I promise, you can depend on it.

No honor and values remain, it's just that there aren't as many who possess those values as there used to be.

13 Nov 2010 16:04 #8 by Jonathan Hemlock
Not everyone has a squeaky-clean history so I, personally don't care about someone's past errors if, I'm able to understand what improvements each person is committed to making in their lives. I must admit, when I raised the initial question, I hadn't thought of little kids like RockDoc mentions. The first image that I see as he mentions them, is of those kids at Children's Hospital. Now that's courage with honor and dignity.  :Thanks: , Rockdoc.

I can't help but think that similar values are what we want to see when we seek out politicians to represent us, but it is so often that we are disappointed with the result. I'm afraid that as we move further from our basic values, we may not be able to recognize the person who is honest, genuine and has integrity when we see them.

18 Nov 2010 14:32 #9 by DrMike
I agree with Rock Doc, single parents work hard at keeping their famlies together, so that group gets my vote. I was wondering what you all thought of any writers we could use as role models. I have a few, but would like to hear some of your thoughts.

19 Nov 2010 09:45 #10 by Jonathan Hemlock
I like reading John C. Maxwell for learning leadership and other life skills. Karl Rahner, although sometimes difficult reading, can be very inspirational. I also think that Matthew, Mark, Luke and John are pretty good writers, too! :wink:

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds