Where does the "Devil" come from in Deviled Eggs???

25 May 2014 11:55 #1 by BaconLover
Got a friendly wager going on with the wife about why Deviled Eggs are Devils!!

My belief is that Deviled Eggs should have a little bit of zing in them. That little devil called cayenne pepper is usually enough to add a little heat to the eggs.

The wife thinks that the Deviled comes from the fact that you scramble up the innards....

Of course I think I'm right. Thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 May 2014 12:09 #2 by pacamom
I thought scrambled eggs were the whites and the yellows mixed together.

I agree with you EM, the addition of spicy hot to the eggs makes them deviled.

25 May 2014 12:16 #3 by ScienceChic
They were made long before the term "deviled" was used in regards to spicy foods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deviled_egg

The deviled egg can be seen in recipes as far back as ancient Rome, where they were traditionally served at a first course.

The term "deviled", in reference to food, was in use in the 18th century, with the first known print reference appearing in 1786.[7] In the 19th century, it came to be used most often with spicy or zesty food, including eggs prepared with mustard, pepper or other ingredients stuffed in the yolk cavity.

In some parts of the Southern and Midwestern United States, the terms "stuffed eggs", "salad eggs" or "dressed eggs", or "ANGEL EGGS" are used, particularly when the dish is served in connection with a church function—presumably to avoid any association with The Devil.

LOL! So if they change the name of them, but not the ingredients, they're somehow "safer"? lol

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

25 May 2014 12:23 #4 by BaconLover
Had to whimp out and go with the hacks on Wikipedia huh?? But, you'd have to say I was right :)

In my humble opinion, just Yellow mustard powder makes them more of Golgothoned Eggs than full out Deviled Eggs. Now Cayenne or Sriracha, yummy little devils!!

ScienceChic wrote: They were made long before the term "deviled" was used in regards to spicy foods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deviled_egg

The deviled egg can be seen in recipes as far back as ancient Rome, where they were traditionally served at a first course.

The term "deviled", in reference to food, was in use in the 18th century, with the first known print reference appearing in 1786.[7] In the 19th century, it came to be used most often with spicy or zesty food, including eggs prepared with mustard, pepper or other ingredients stuffed in the yolk cavity.

In some parts of the Southern and Midwestern United States, the terms "stuffed eggs", "salad eggs" or "dressed eggs", or "ANGEL EGGS" are used, particularly when the dish is served in connection with a church function—presumably to avoid any association with The Devil.

LOL! So if they change the name of them, but not the ingredients, they're somehow "safer"? lol

25 May 2014 12:26 #5 by ScienceChic
Golgothoned, huh? lol Then it should definitely be allowed in church! :biggrin:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

25 May 2014 15:26 #6 by otisptoadwater
Are you sure it's not from the after effects of eating a half dozen Deviled eggs? Never feed deviled eggs to a dog, take my word on this, it's based on some personal experience.

[youtube:1raict7k]
[/youtube:1raict7k]

Lysol, Fabreeze, gasoline - it's not gonna help. :Whistle

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

25 May 2014 19:44 #7 by jf1acai
LOL, yeah, blame it on the dog, or barking spiders! :biggrin:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds