Multiple Downed Power Lines Discussions

22 Feb 2012 20:18 #1 by Hoot Owl
OK I'm sitting here in the dark, and the batterey is going dead on the laptop. Why do I have to go to another website to see the scanner posts? Nevermind, those posts have the same info.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Feb 2012 21:38 - 10 May 2021 04:11 #2 by MyMountainTown
Our apologies Hoot Owl, for the extra step required when you are under a power constraint. We are merely following the request made of 285Bound on how to cite information that is sourced from www.disastersupportvolunteers.com .

Proudly serving mountain Jeffco, Clear Creek & Park County!
You can also find & connect with us on:
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube LinkedIn

720-608-0285

23 Feb 2012 12:45 #3 by CC

Our apologies Hoot Owl, for the extra step required when you are under a power constraint. We are merely following the request made of 285Bound on how to cite information that is sourced from [url=http://www.disastersupportvolunteers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.disastersupportvolunteers.com[/url].

The alternative Hoot Owl is that you could bookmark DSV and get the information directly.

The scanner team provided this information to this site as well as many others for over 18 months.
DSV is working on an RSS feed that 285bound can choose or not choose to utilize in the future but our team has found that the community is best served.....especially in an emergency to post that info at DSV.
We have graciously allowed 285bound to utilize that information with a properly accredited source.
The scanner team has been providing this information to the community at DSV for nearly 10 years now and we have every intention of continuing to do so.
DSV is working on some exciting new changes to better serve all of us and our neighbors.

What we know for sure is that there is no substitute for actual, reliable information that is provided to the community by an experienced scanner team.
As a member of that team, I look forward to continuing what we have always provided to the community.
If you need anymore information, please feel free to contact me privately. :)

23 Feb 2012 20:37 - 23 Feb 2012 21:37 #4 by JSG
Replied by JSG on topic Multiple Downed Power Lines Discussions

Becky wrote: The alternative Hoot Owl is that you could bookmark DSV and get the information directly.

The scanner team provided this information to this site as well as many others for over 18 months.
DSV is working on an RSS feed that 285bound can choose or not choose to utilize in the future but our team has found that the community is best served.....especially in an emergency to post that info at DSV.
We have graciously allowed 285bound to utilize that information with a properly accredited source.
The scanner team has been providing this information to the community at DSV for nearly 10 years now and we have every intention of continuing to do so.
DSV is working on some exciting new changes to better serve all of us and our neighbors.

I went over there and found forum announcements and stickies in the scanner section from 7 YEARS AGO.

One announcement, from 2004, gives a link to report accidents to the CSP but the link no longer works (things have changed dramatically since 2004, I'm guessing). Not sure if it's up there to show the site has been around for awhile or if nobody has done any housecleaning since then.

Another post announcement from 2005 was asking for scanner volunteers and another announcement from 2005 at the top of the forum was saying Parkbull.com was an excellent source of scanner posts with a link that no longer works. Since it's still up I guess they still an excellent source of scanner posts?

Becky wrote: Are you so small that you feel threatened by your members being provided links to more reliable sources of information.

I would turn that around and ask you the same question.

I like Colorado Radio Reference for live scanner feeds around the state: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?stid=8

Also a scanner forum on Colorado incidents can be found here. It's very active: http://forums.radioreference.com/colora ... king-news/

Maybe 285B or some other scanner enthusiast up here might consider setting up a live scanner feed?

There are also several excellent iPhone and Android apps that let people listen to scanners on their phones. As I mentioned before, people can also subscribe to text alerts from the agencies that serve them.

My point is, people no longer have to rely on someone posting on a bulletin board to find out what's going on in their community.

23 Feb 2012 20:53 #5 by Hoot Owl
OK I started this I guess I should comment. I was expecting the link to provide more informstion, following the rules of copyright stuff. , I didnt even consider the fact that 285 was merely attributing information to DSV. Seems appropriate and I misunderstood.

Becky,and Jim,as far as bookmarking DSV, I dont need to I already have, actually I believe I am a member. But that was a few computers ago things change. DSV is cumbersome to navigate, maybe I haven't tried hard enough. I checked the member list and there are 3 new members in 2010. That doesnt seem like a very dynamic website. Maybe if recent posts rolled to the top of the pinboard it would be easier to find current information. One thing that doesnt change is DSV. Your Annoncements and stickeys are informative but

In any case good luck with your website. I figured it out, the scanner posts are merely attributing where the quote came from, there is nothing more to see, unless I want to waste a lot of time reading all posts by Becky (CG) all the time. Good luck with your endeavors.

WHOA!!! as I was composing this JSG was apparently channeling me.
Take it as constructive criticism.
I am out of this conversation.

24 Feb 2012 11:52 #6 by CC
Interesting how things are disappearing here....much like another website I know.

24 Feb 2012 11:53 #7 by MountainRoadCrew
Several posts in this thread, which were more of a back and forth between individuals more-so than policy questions directed toward the 285Bound Staff, were split out and made a new thread here: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href=" www.285bound.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=18342 " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=29&t=18342<!-- l --> Our apologies for any inconvenience.

We'd also like to thank you for your questions, concerns, and feedback - we love to hear from you! :sunshine:

24 Feb 2012 14:14 #8 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Multiple Downed Power Lines Discussions

Becky wrote: Interesting how things are disappearing here....much like another website I know.

what are you talking about?

26 Feb 2012 11:44 #9 by JSG
Replied by JSG on topic Multiple Downed Power Lines Discussions

CinnamonGirl wrote:

Becky wrote: Interesting how things are disappearing here....much like another website I know.

what are you talking about?

DSV's forum, probably.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds