Thank you in advance

03 Feb 2012 20:10 - 02 Feb 2017 00:41 #11 by
Replied by on topic Thank you in advance

285 Bound Alerts wrote: JeffCo Schools have already closed for tomorrow.

If you have to be out on the roads tomorrow and think there's anything worth sharing with fellow 285Bounders and guests once you get safely where you are going, please post in our Traffic, Cams, and Road Conditions thread and/or on our Facebook page . You can quickly get to what you want in the Traffic Cams thread by clicking on Page 1 for viewing the signs, webcams, and getting to useful web links quickly (like CDOT, COTRIP, Twitter feeds, etc), or see what the latest posts were by starting with the last post either by clicking on the last page number or the bent-corner page symbol on the right.

There will be detailed listings of accidents in our Road Scanner Forum , weather events in this thread , and we'll also be posting updates on our Twitter feed and on our blog.

Thank you and please drive safe if you can't stay home tomorrow!

Thanks for everything you do to keep the community informed. :thumbsup:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Feb 2012 20:15 #12 by CC
Replied by CC on topic Thank you in advance
They have just neglected to tell you who and where that information is being provided by.

04 Feb 2012 13:58 #13 by JSG
Replied by JSG on topic Thank you in advance
Sorry, I don't see that. I see posts with info and links to the original info in the posts. Thanks, again 285Bound.

04 Feb 2012 18:21 #14 by JSG

Becky wrote: If you need scanner information, please go to

[url=http://www.disastersupportvolunteers.co" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.disastersupportvolunteers.co[/url] ... 7d49d6c736

Becky wrote: Scanner information is, in my opinion, a critical service to this community and several attempts have been made to help this community find that information in a timely fashion and on both occasions, those posts have been moved to, in my opinion, to obscure locations.

Wouldn't just posting the info right here be more timely than sending people off to another site? Or are you trying to generate traffic for that site with an a free ad rather than getting the information out there in a timely manner? You're saying (in so many words) "I overheard something on the scanner that I think you should know about but you have to go this OTHER website to read it because I'm not telling you here." Imagine if everyone did that with information posted on here. "If you need scanner information, please go to Pinecam.com." How is that any different than what you posted?

I don't understand why there's a need to send people elsewhere for a simple bit of information. Personally, I don't see posting run of the mill scanner stuff as that "critical" in my day to day life anyway. Police/fire radio traffic is really intended for the police and fire department units, isn't it? If it's something the public should know, the agency will notify the public by other means. There are also lots of other ways to get the information nowadays without having your ear glued to a police scanner. When something really big happens, pretty much everybody can listen in if they want to, either on a scanner or on their phone.

I think 285Bound is doing a terrific job informing the public when it needs to be informed. I hit "view posts since last visit" or something like that when I stop by. It doesn't matter what location the post is in -- even if it's in an "obscure" location. If I'm interested, I'll click on it. I subscribe to email and text alerts from various sources (including law enforcement and this website) so I know I'll be informed, if it's really something I should know about, like a highway closure or a large fire.

04 Feb 2012 21:19 #15 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic Thank you in advance
Scanner information is the earliest information that can be available to help those who may be affected by an incident. "Official" information from agencies involved or the media may follow after a significant delay, or not at all. Time is critical for those who may have to evacuate or take other action because of an incident.

Those of us involved with DSV learned that lesson during the fires in 2002, and that is why DSV was formed. Our intent is to provide the best, accurate, and early information about an incident that is possible, to allow those who may be affected to make better decisions regarding what action they should take to protect themselves, their families, and their property.

We teamed with 285Bound shortly after it was formed to provide this data on their site, and later extended it to EvergreenBound and other CommunitiesBound sites. We found that it is difficult to attempt to simultaneously post the data on multiple sites. We have been considering options for doing that better for some time.

We decided that the best way to do that would be for us to completely revise the DSV website, and provide RSS feeds to all sites which are interested in providing that information. In order to do that, we must reduce some of the multiple posting we have been doing, and concentrate on revising our website. Thus, we have stopped posting scanner information on 285Bound, and have asked them to link to our posts on DSV during the transition period - <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href=" 285bound.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?p=195190#p195190 " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?p=195190#p195190<!-- l --> .

We are not

...trying to generate traffic for that site with an a free ad rather than getting the information out there in a timely manner?

We are trying to ensure that the community gets the best information as early as possible, during and after the transition period, and wish to work with the management of 285Bound toward that goal.

285Bound has done much to provide information beyond scanner data to the community, and I commend them for that.

I agree that 285Bound is doing a great job of keeping the community informed, and that is why we want to continue to work together to provide the best we can for the community.

Jack Frank
President
DSV - Disaster Support Volunteers, Inc.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

04 Feb 2012 22:49 #16 by FOS
Replied by FOS on topic Thank you in advance
If the info weren't meant to be public they wouldn't broadcast over public airways and sell scanners. If you don't want or need the info move on

05 Feb 2012 12:22 #17 by JSG
So, frogger, do you think this statement (posted above) is true then? "They have just neglected to tell you who and where that information is being provided by."

I think 285Bound is doing a great job informing its customers.

05 Feb 2012 12:45 #18 by JSG

jf1acai wrote: Scanner information is the earliest information that can be available to help those who may be affected by an incident. "Official" information from agencies involved or the media may follow after a significant delay, or not at all. Time is critical for those who may have to evacuate or take other action because of an incident.

Those of us involved with DSV learned that lesson during the fires in 2002, and that is why DSV was formed.

That was 10 years ago. I think the local agencies have come a long way since 2002. Now they're on Facebook and Twitter and have text alert services. The Boulder foothills fires are an excellent example of how well the local agencies get information out.

Is your service available on Twitter or Facebook?

05 Feb 2012 13:14 #19 by CC
Replied by CC on topic Thank you in advance
It will be.

05 Feb 2012 13:30 #20 by FOS
Replied by FOS on topic Thank you in advance
I do think they have done a good job in providing info but it is obvious that some things have changed and I hope people like you don't screw up a anything because you don't think the information is worthy of you. A lot of us do appreciate the info and use it all the time. not everyone is as up to snuff on technology as you. You sound condescending to me. Just like someone else I know.

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds