Heavy Drinking May Leave You Tipsy For Years

21 Sep 2011 16:09 #1 by ScienceChic
Something to think about. While the old convention of brain cells never being replaced has been disproven, it certainly is harder to recover from massive neuronal damage due to long-term abuse of substances.

http://www.myhealthnewsdaily.com/alcoho ... lems-1905/
Heavy Drinking May Leave You Tipsy For Years
Sep 15, 2011 | 4:01 PM ET | By Lauren Cox

Researchers at Neurobehavioral Research Inc., in Honolulu, compared the balance abilities and gaits of diagnosed alcoholics who had been sober for several weeks, those who had been sober for an average of seven years, and people with no history of alcohol dependence.

Of the more than 200 volunteers, the 70 recently sober ones — who had not had alcohol for six to 15 weeks — performed the worst. But in tasks with their eyes closed, the 82 long-sober volunteers also performed noticeably worse than the 52 people who had never been alcoholics. (The researchers controlled for the effect of age on balance.)

"There's an 80 to 90 percent recovery, but there's still some residual effects," said Fein, the senior scientist and lab director at the company.

While the study implies there is "a point of no return where the brain cannot recover," Hill said the findings underline the importance of viewing alcohol addiction as a disease. "A lot of people don't think about addictions as chronic medical illnesses, but they are in every way," Hill said, explaining that alcohol addiction has a genetic link and long-term health effects.

"The findings of balance problems in long-term recovering alcoholics might not be clinically significant in the majority of clients," he said.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Sep 2011 18:58 #2 by jf1acai
I've only had tee martoonies, and I'm not as thunk as you drink I am! :wink:

Seriously, alcohol and smoking are best controlled by never starting, IMO, and I have more than adequate experience with both.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

22 Sep 2011 17:19 #3 by rocky mtn thyroid center
This study gives a clue to what part of the brain is affected long term by alcohol.

It's the part of the brain that is involved in balance and coordination, especially with your eyes closed.

It is the cerebellum.

This is not to say that other parts are not damaged long term, they probably are.

Not surprising, I guess, as most drunks are not very coordinated.

Interestingly enough, the right kind of alcohol in the right amount for you is beneficial to your health. Long term epidemiological studies have shown that moderate alcohol consumption is associated with a longer life span.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds