HA! HA! Pour on the salt

17 Aug 2014 08:28 #1 by Blazer Bob
I salt most everything.

www.nbcnews.com/health/heart-health/pour...ests-more-ok-n179941

"New research suggests that healthy people can eat about twice the amount of salt that’s currently recommended — or about as much as most people consume anyway. The controversial findings could potentially undercut widespread public health messages about salt.

An international study of more than 100,000 people published Wednesday in the New England Journal of Medicine suggests that while there is a relationship between salt intake and high blood pressure, if you don’t already have high blood pressure and you’re not over 60 or eating way too much salt, salt won’t have much impact on your blood pressure.

In fact, people who consumed 3,000 to 6,000 milligrams per day had a lower risk of death and cardiovascular events than those who had more than 6,000 mg or less than 3,000 mg."...

online.wsj.com/articles/recommended-salt...-suggests-1407964274

"Low-Salt Diets May Pose Health Risks, Study Finds
Findings Are Latest Challenge to Benefits of Aggressively Low Sodium Targets"...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Aug 2014 09:06 #2 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic HA! HA! Pour on the salt
Dang, the only healthy food habit I had was not adding salt to food. Now I am probably one of those people with dangerously low levels of sodium.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

17 Aug 2014 09:44 - 17 Aug 2014 19:28 #3 by HEARTLESS
Replied by HEARTLESS on topic HA! HA! Pour on the salt
When young, and skinny as a rail, I used what now would be an unacceptable amount of salt and would leave a salt residue when playing tennis or other summertime activities on shirt. Never had blood pressure issues or suffered any ill effects from it. My wife did the first Susan G Komen walk in Colorado but had to be taken to hospital on day two near Longmont. Not enough salt to absorb water into system. If you are active and sweat a lot, I don't think salt is a negative issue.
Just spoke to her and her allergy meds, Zyrtec, now an over the counter med also contributed to her not properly absorbing the water.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

17 Aug 2014 10:01 #4 by Arlen
Replied by Arlen on topic HA! HA! Pour on the salt
"Science" is so fadish. It has now been decided that fats are good for you. Fiber causes cancer. Salt is perfectly fine.

Self loathers love the fads. It gives them a reason to punish themselves.

17 Aug 2014 12:44 #5 by archer
Replied by archer on topic HA! HA! Pour on the salt
Interesting, I agree with Arlen on this one, if you tried to keep up with the conflicting medical/ nutrition advice that is published daily you would always be one or two fads behind and constantly worried about what's on your plate.

If you listen to your own body it will pretty much tell you what works for you and what doesn't. We try to vary what we eat and never ever put stuff on our plates that we don't like just because someone says it's good for you, nor do we totally avoid food we love because someone says it isn't. There is stuff I like salt on and stuff I don't, that dictates how much salt I use.

17 Aug 2014 14:36 #6 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic HA! HA! Pour on the salt
FADS? How can you guys call it fads? It is statistics. It is studies. It is settled science. The government said so.

Archer, glad to see you back. I must be hard to be a liberal democrat these days. :rainbowgrow

17 Aug 2014 15:30 #7 by otisptoadwater
Bob, I think you posted the wrong version of the food pyramid, this one is probably closer to the truth for most 'Mericans:

As for salt being good for you I can remember back in my High School days having to take salt pills during and after football practice and it wasn't optional. I also recall a couple of studies back in the 1980s, one had to do with consuming alcohol and a side effect being lower cholesterol. So for a while I was eating cheese omelets and drinking beer on the theory that one would offset the other.

Over the years Americans have been fed all kinds of information about various foods; eggs are bad for you, stay away from butter, artificial sweeteners cause cancer, be careful not to consume too much salt and sugar. With power of the tubes of the Interweb right here at my finger tips I can shop for studies that say what I want them to say; let's see what the benefits of chocolate are so I can justify going in a chocolate binge!

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

17 Aug 2014 16:22 #8 by HEARTLESS
Replied by HEARTLESS on topic HA! HA! Pour on the salt
Any Navy boiler tenders, operators out there? Do they still use salt tablets? For those not familiar with those tasks, normal working conditions of 125-150 degrees F.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

17 Aug 2014 17:30 #9 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic HA! HA! Pour on the salt

HEARTLESS wrote: Any Navy boiler tenders, operators out there? Do they still use salt tablets? For those not familiar with those tasks, normal working conditions of 125-150 degrees F.

I think they are all gas turbines or nucs now. I remember when salt tablets in the engineering spaces whent out but do no remember if it was pre or post.

17 Aug 2014 17:53 #10 by ScienceChic
I would say that the bigger problem is that science reporting is fad-ish. If you read the primary research papers for yourself, you will see that they are almost all set up to include these 5 sections: summary, introduction, methods, results, and conclusion.

In the conclusion, the author(s) will discuss what the results mean in the bigger context of the current research and knowledge - if it supports the current line of thinking or if it doesn't, for example. Authors will often speak as to what the limitations are to what those results can be interpreted to mean, and what questions this research may bring up that can be explored next.

If you look at media reporting of science results, you almost never see that in-depth big-picture analysis discussed. They just grab the individual paper's headline and run with it as if it's gospel (lest it become a "fad"). ;)

Now, in reading this story, I would caution jumping to the conclusion that this one study is gospel. Without having read the actual paper myself, I can only assume that these comments have some merit:

Dr. Elliot Antman, president of the American Heart Association, noted that the studies are observational and so can’t show cause and effect or rule out other factors that would affect the findings, like if people with poor health had already reduced their salt intake to less than 3,000 milligrams. They also are concerned about how sodium was measured — through a urine sample.

“We don’t know the diet the subjects who gave a urine specimen were eating and for how long they ate it after,” Antman said. “It was one point in time, and the researchers followed them for 3.7 years and try to draw a relationship between one-spot urine and events that occurred over the next 3.7 years.”

The study was too short to draw long-term conclusions, Antman said, because cardiovascular disease can take decades to develop.

The journal also published another study Wednesday that reached different conclusions. It used a modeling approach to combine results from a wide variety of studies, and estimates that 1.6 million deaths from cardiovascular causes in 2010 were linked to sodium consumption above 2,000 mg/day.

Antman called that finding important; Oparil said it included flawed data.

All the studies in the world aren't really needed to tell you what common sense already does: eat healthy, fresh fruits and raw vegetables are best, cook your meals from scratch, minimize pre-packaged foods with artificial additives and lots of extra salt, all things in moderation including meat, alcohol, salt, etc, and exercise in conjunction with a good diet.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds