One Walker enters plea bargain in starving dogs case - Flume

30 Sep 2010 16:55 #1 by Flume editor
Florissant resident Diane Walker, a woman charged with 28 counts of cruelty to animals tied to the discovery of about 100 starving and dead dogs last December in South Park, pleaded guilty on Sept. 27 to one count of misdemeanor cruelty to animals and had the remaining 27 charges dismissed by the District Attorney's Office as part of a plea bargain. Details in this week's Flume.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Sep 2010 20:04 #2 by JMC

Flume editor wrote: Florissant resident Diane Walker, a woman charged with 28 counts of cruelty to animals tied to the discovery of about 100 starving and dead dogs last December in South Park, pleaded guilty on Sept. 27 to one count of misdemeanor cruelty to animals and had the remaining 27 charges dismissed by the District Attorney's Office as part of a plea bargain. Details in this week's Flume.

Big problem with Park County, we let these cruel bastards off with no or minimal consequences, we need a watch dog group to hold county officials accountable , the cost is huge . These scum get away with animal abuse without recourse. I have experienced this first hand, something is seriously wrong. I have a plan!

03 Oct 2010 08:11 #3 by outdoor338

03 Oct 2010 09:44 #4 by JMC
Thanks for asking Outdoor338. 20-30 years ago when domestic violence was not being taken seriously by our courts, groups were formed that sat in the courts and documented judges and prosecutors that minimized the severity of these crimes and publicized the results. Things changed dramatically in a short amount of time.
I am proposing that we form a Park County watchdog group to hold officials accountable when they let these criminals off the hook with slaps on the wrist for animal cruelty,abuse and neglect. Staffed by volunteers and I will commit to funding the expenses so that Park County officials realize that the citizens of this County want these scoundrels punished appropriately for the crimes they commit.

03 Oct 2010 14:53 #5 by JMC
Posted this on PC also, too big of an issue to let slide.I will also send a letter to the Flume. Other ideas are welcome.

03 Oct 2010 19:07 #6 by Willys Inbred Cousin
I had a different read. The light sentence for the wife made me consider she wasn't involved and the majority of the blame belongs to the husband who has his next hearing in Nov. This is such a bad case, I have to believe the prosecutors would never give someone a slap on the wrist.

How do we get copies of the court records to validate?

"I Think--Therefore I don't listen to LJ or Willy"

03 Oct 2010 19:47 #7 by JMC

dingleheimer wrote: I had a different read. The light sentence for the wife made me consider she wasn't involved and the majority of the blame belongs to the husband who has his next hearing in Nov. This is such a bad case, I have to believe the prosecutors would never give someone a slap on the wrist.

How do we get copies of the court records to validate?

Your right but Park County has a history and I don't want the hubby to get the same leniency, that's why a watchdog group makes sense to me.

04 Oct 2010 06:56 #8 by outdoor338
JMC, sounds like a great idea! I'm sure we can get many here on 285 to help you with this.

04 Oct 2010 23:13 #9 by 40coupe
What's a dog's life worth in Park County? $223.50 Diane Walker's attorney is successful in getting her client's charges plea-bargained down to one count of Misdemeanor Cruelty To Animals. I volunteered last December at the Ark-Val Humane Society, after seven of the unfortunate canines were placed there, and I saw, firsthand, the result of the Walker's indifferent neglect. D. Walker should, IMHO, have not been allowed to plea-bargain anything . Again, IMHO, she should have also have been charged with Criminal Complicity, since she obviously knew of the atrocious treatment the dogs were receiving, and did nothing to stop it or bring it to the attention of the Authorities. I have a hunch what her husband will try to claim, in his defense, but I'm not about to put it into words, here, so as to not allow that miserable excuse of a human being a reason to cry 'prejudicial pre-trial publicity'. I would be quite willing to assist and participate in any sort of oversight group you folks can arrange. Please PM me if I can be of any service to you all.

05 Oct 2010 08:39 #10 by V_A
Before you judge her, it would help to have the facts and know why the prosecutor reduced the charges. I have hope that there was a good reason for the charges to be reduced, and can't judge the prosecutors actions until we know the facts used to make the decision.

I believe what was done to those dogs is AWFUL. My dogs have a playmate that is one of the rescued pups.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds