Park County population drops, first time in 37 years -Flume

30 Dec 2010 14:57 #1 by Flume editor
Recently released figures from the U.S. Census Bureau show the estimated population in Park County dropped 1.4 percent between 2008 and 2009, to 16,762. It's the first time in at least 37 years that the county has had a population decline. Details in this week's Flume.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Dec 2010 15:03 #2 by ColoradoXprss
Geeee imagine that...hmmmmmmmm!!!! Bet's are it will keep declining at the rate the economy keeps going.

30 Dec 2010 17:12 #3 by V_A

ColoradoXprss wrote: Geeee imagine that...hmmmmmmmm!!!! Bet's are it will keep declining at the rate the economy keeps going.

Grumpy old timer. Surprised you didn't also blame the BOCC or PCSO for the decline. People need to live someplace even if the economy is bad. So it is doubtful the economy is the main factor. There are many homes that are in foreclosure and the residents are still living in them until they are evicted.

I believe a major factor to this slight decline is that more homes are being purchased as 2nd homes. I know 4 homes in the last year that were sold by residents to people that have their primary residence in Denver or another state.

30 Dec 2010 17:58 #4 by JMC

30 Dec 2010 18:57 #5 by Travelingirl
I heard not too long ago that PCSD enrollment was down. Parent's were either out of work or couldn't afford the commute.

30 Dec 2010 21:00 #6 by jf1acai
Or maybe folx just don't like the current political climate in Park County?

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

30 Dec 2010 21:13 #7 by V_A
From 2000 til 2009 the population increased by 2,239 people or 15%, the reduction of 235 people in one year is equal to loosing 1/9 of the growth in the past 9 years. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/08/08093.html

While the population going down by 235 people is interesting, it is not a significant # or %. I know 10% of the 235 people who moved from out county and were no back filled by residents. I don't consider that significant either. I think our county is better off that some of those people are gone.

30 Dec 2010 23:01 #8 by ColoradoXprss

Xmas P_ rn wrote:

ColoradoXprss wrote: Geeee imagine that...hmmmmmmmm!!!! Bet's are it will keep declining at the rate the economy keeps going.

Grumpy old timer. Surprised you didn't also blame the BOCC or PCSO for the decline. People need to live someplace even if the economy is bad. So it is doubtful the economy is the main factor. There are many homes that are in foreclosure and the residents are still living in them until they are evicted.

I believe a major factor to this slight decline is that more homes are being purchased as 2nd homes. I know 4 homes in the last year that were sold by residents to people that have their primary residence in Denver or another state.

You're really funny....you can play it off however you feel the need to...truth of the matter is the economy, a foreclosure is a foreclosure...loss of jobs, loss of income plain and simple. And as far as the BOCC is concerned don't need to blame them for anything, already know how incompetent they are. All one has to do is read the Flume from last weeks COMM Center funding...they like contradicting themselves and don't bother asking me to show PROOF and tell you were to find it...go read it for yourself and try to COMPREHEND the crap that is being fed to the Park County Taxpayers.

30 Dec 2010 23:05 #9 by Local_Historian
I did not realize that the population is so low for such a large county.

30 Dec 2010 23:06 #10 by ColoradoXprss

jf1acai wrote: Or maybe folx just don't like the current political climate in Park County?

If you're referring to me as "folx" and it was a typo..you're damn right I don't like the current political climate in Park County. I don't like being lied to, nor being fed a bunch of crap from the BOCC and the Park County Administration as should a lot of Park County Taxpayers if they truly cared about the County they live in. But, with most political administrations, nothing will ever change...its all about them. I think living in a Commonwealth State was one of the best places to have lived, and before anyone pipes in about moving back to one...it's being considered. LOL

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds