Rep Ryan Wants To Privatize Medicare & Medicaid

06 Apr 2011 08:29 #1 by FredHayek
Seniors and others in these programs would get to choose among private insurers for the health plan they think would be a good fit for them.

:thumbsup: You have to think private health insurance companies are drooling over all the possible new customers. But do you think Ryan's idea has a chance of passing?
Dems are raging against it, but those health insurance companies have some powerful lobbyists and might be able to swing enough moderate Dem senators to get it done.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Apr 2011 08:35 #2 by Nmysys
Yes, I think his plan has merit. His plan also attempts to cut 6Trillion of the deficit and at least he is trying to do something about the overspending. The Democrats surely aren't. They haven't even submitted a budget for this year, and are fighting against every cut proposed..

06 Apr 2011 08:42 #3 by Nobody that matters
At least he's got ideas on cutting the budget. Everyone else is afraid of loosing votes and won't do what needs to be done.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

06 Apr 2011 08:55 #4 by 2wlady
In some states, Medicare is handled by contract companies. They have the option of denying medications or the amount of medication a person can have per month.

With carcinoid cancer, Sandostatin is one of the drugs that helps control symptoms such as flushing, explosive diarrhea, wheezing (if it's in the lungs), to name a few. It controls the symptoms by reducing the output from tumors of the hormones that cause those symptoms, known as "carcinoid syndrome."

The standard dose is about 30 whatever twice a month. However, many people need much more than that. If they want to pay for it themselves, they can. Depending on the state and the hospital/clinic they go to, it can start at $1500 and go to $15,000 (yes, that's right), and it all comes out of their pockets.

So, how is private any better for this, when these companies are already denying appropriate doses of medication?

And for you folks who go on and on about "you should have been ready," how can you be ready for $15K per dose, at least 4 times a month? Who thinks that will happen?

06 Apr 2011 09:13 #5 by FredHayek

2wlady wrote: In some states, Medicare is handled by contract companies. They have the option of denying medications or the amount of medication a person can have per month.

With carcinoid cancer, Sandostatin is one of the drugs that helps control symptoms such as flushing, explosive diarrhea, wheezing (if it's in the lungs), to name a few. It controls the symptoms by reducing the output from tumors of the hormones that cause those symptoms, known as "carcinoid syndrome."

The standard dose is about 30 whatever twice a month. However, many people need much more than that. If they want to pay for it themselves, they can. Depending on the state and the hospital/clinic they go to, it can start at $1500 and go to $15,000 (yes, that's right), and it all comes out of their pockets.

So, how is private any better for this, when these companies are already denying appropriate doses of medication?

And for you folks who go on and on about "you should have been ready," how can you be ready for $15K per dose, at least 4 times a month? Who thinks that will happen?

Sad to hear that, but with the new numbers that 40% of the budget is paid for by new debt, we need to cut costs somehow. Maybe private insurance companies will do a better job fighting the high price of prescription medicines. My wife is on one medicine that would cost us $15K a year, but we only pay $100 a month co-pay. I am betting United isn't paying 15K a year.

06 Apr 2011 09:28 #6 by LadyJazzer
Wow... What a great idea... Let's give some 83-year-old person with diabetes, and chronic heart problems, (and who may, through no fault of their own, have some form of catastrophic disease like a cancer), a check for some fixed amount of money... (Let's say $12,000 - $15,000) and tell them to go out on the open market and buy coverage from one of the insurance companies...And if they can't find coverage, then "too bad, so sad."

Yes, I love "compassionate conservatism"...I could sit and watch it for hours....before I go puke.

06 Apr 2011 10:28 #7 by 2wlady
We are not talking $15,000 a year. It's PER SHOT!!!!

If the hormones are not kept under control, the tumors grow faster, spread and the person has much less time to live and a very poor quality of life.

And I bet this isn't the only "orphan" disease that has this happening.

Do you have to experience it before you understand it?

06 Apr 2011 10:33 #8 by JMC
Ryans numbers do not add up. I am under 60 and use Cover Colorado because i was turned down for health insurance. I pay over 7k per year with a 5k deductible. What do you think a 75 year old with a heart condition would have to pay even if the insurance company was forced to take them.This also kicks in for people under 55 so 10 years from now. My premiums have gone up 15% each year. In 10 years 12-15k won't come close to covering even half of a premium. It is a scam.

06 Apr 2011 10:38 #9 by LadyJazzer

2wlady wrote: We are not talking $15,000 a year. It's PER SHOT!!!!

If the hormones are not kept under control, the tumors grow faster, spread and the person has much less time to live and a very poor quality of life.

And I bet this isn't the only "orphan" disease that has this happening.

Do you have to experience it before you understand it?

Sorry, I wasn't talking about your example... I was talking about the plan to privatize Medicare in general... I should have been more clear...

I really empathize with your situation, and didn't mean for you to think that I was minimizing it in ANY WAY....

06 Apr 2011 10:45 #10 by FredHayek
Yep, continue the present system and let the kids of today and the unborn continue to pay for Medicare & Medicaid.

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds