Rep Ryan Wants To Privatize Medicare & Medicaid

06 Apr 2011 11:06 #11 by JMC

SS109 wrote: Yep, continue the present system and let the kids of today and the unborn continue to pay for Medicare & Medicaid.

There are better solutions out there. Do you want your grand kids and unborn to not do what every civilized society does and thats take care of the elderly and sick?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Apr 2011 11:16 #12 by LadyJazzer
If you're a conservative, they shouldn't have gotten old...and they shouldn't have gotten sick.... And the fact that they've had Medicare for the last 40+ years is irrelevant. They should have seen that the conservatives would take it away from them at some future date and made sure that they had their own arrangements...

God, I love "compassionate conservatism." I could sit and watch it for hours....before I go puke.

06 Apr 2011 11:17 #13 by archer
The only way his plan would work is if the government mandated that insurance companies carry seniors and put a limit on what they could charge. To make it profitable for the insurance companies to cover seniors the government would have to mandate that everyone get health insurance so the healthier young people offset the higher costs of the seniors. Isn't this what the conservatives have been railing against with Obamacare?

Otherwise you are going to have a lot of seniors getting their health care the same way the poor do now.......in the emergency room. That is hardly going to bring down health care costs for the nation as a whole.

06 Apr 2011 11:49 #14 by 2wlady
LJ, no worries, my statement wasn't directed at you. It was directed at SS109.

We're on the same page on this. Luckily, I have been symptom-free for this cancer for 13 yrs. But I know people who have had it come back after 17 years, so I keep a close watch on what is happening.

There is a procedure that is done in several countries in Europe that helps this cancer. There is testing going on in Houston of this same procedure. Insurance doesn't pay for it in Houston. However, even going to Europe and paying yourself is currently cheaper than going to Houston and the European sites have the experience that Houston does not. What a screw up this country is when it comes to healthcare.

My DH goes into the doughnut hole about May and we pay, pay, pay until about three months later - catastrophic illness.

I am fighting for all those people who simply can't afford it.

06 Apr 2011 12:01 #15 by FredHayek

jmc wrote:

SS109 wrote: Yep, continue the present system and let the kids of today and the unborn continue to pay for Medicare & Medicaid.

There are better solutions out there. Do you want your grand kids and unborn to not do what every civilized society does and thats take care of the elderly and sick?

Actually the way Portugal, Greece and other countries do this is to default every couple decades. And that is what the US may eventually have to do. Or hope that population continues to increase to fund the Ponzi scheme that is SS and Medicare.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

06 Apr 2011 23:29 #16 by ScienceChic
http://motherjones.com/mojo/2011/04/eld ... ryans-plan
The Elderly: Paying the Price for Ryan's Plan
— By Suzy Khimm
| Wed Apr. 6, 2011

Though it's been billed as a courageous feat of fiscal responsibility, Paul Ryan's 2012 budget ultimately isn't a cost-control plan for the nation's health-care system. It's a cost-shifting plan that simply moves the burden of paying for health care from the government to the backs of the elderly, poor, and disabled beneficiaries of government programs.

According to the Congressional Budget Office, a lot more. Kaiser Health News has the details:
For example, by 2030, under the plan, typical 65 year olds would be required to pay 68 percent of the total cost of their coverage, which includes premiums, deductibles, and other out-of-pocket costs, according to CBO. That compares with the 25 percent they would pay under current law, CBO said.

Why would they have to pay so much more? Under Ryan's plan, Medicare essentially cease to function as an insurance system for beneficiaries. Instead, seniors would given a set amount of money from the government to purchase insurance on their own, meaning they would pay a higher percentage of the overall cost of coverage.

What's more, Kaiser News continues, traditional government-run Medicare is cheaper than private plans, partly because its payment rates to doctors and hospitals are lower and because the government has lower administrative costs. Experiments in privatization have demonstrated as much: Medicare Advantage, a version of Medicare run by private insurers, has been riddled with waste, overspending, and inefficiencies. So seniors would essentially be hit twice under Ryan's plan, paying more out of pocket for a product that costs more.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

06 Apr 2011 23:40 #17 by Soulshiner

LadyJazzer wrote: Wow... What a great idea... Let's give some 83-year-old person with diabetes, and chronic heart problems, (and who may, through no fault of their own, have some form of catastrophic disease like a cancer), a check for some fixed amount of money... (Let's say $12,000 - $15,000) and tell them to go out on the open market and buy coverage from one of the insurance companies...And if they can't find coverage, then "too bad, so sad."

Yes, I love "compassionate conservatism"...I could sit and watch it for hours....before I go puke.

Well at least there won't be any "Death Panels" deciding their fate...

When you plant ice you're going to harvest wind. - Robert Hunter

06 Apr 2011 23:46 #18 by LadyJazzer
There weren't before...except the ones used by the insurance companies to rescind policies and deny coverage to people who paid for it.

07 Apr 2011 00:05 #19 by Soulshiner
That sarcasm font didn't work for me this time...

When you plant ice you're going to harvest wind. - Robert Hunter

07 Apr 2011 05:34 #20 by appleannie

Nmysys wrote: Yes, I think his plan has merit. His plan also attempts to cut 6Trillion of the deficit and at least he is trying to do something about the overspending. The Democrats surely aren't. They haven't even submitted a budget for this year, and are fighting against every cut proposed..

Short memory, huh? There's also this .

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds