Posting emails

11 Jun 2010 10:23 #1 by LOL
Posting emails was created by LOL
Just curious what others thought about posting private emails on a public forum. I noticed someone did that on another thread (PC sheriff debate). It must be legal, however something seems not quite right to me. I wouldn't want my 1-1 email with someone posted on a public forum w/o permission, at least as a courtesy. So it must be that once you are in possesion of an email you can forward it pretty much to anyone? Does it matter if it is private parties vs. public parties vs. business parties?

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Jun 2010 10:27 #2 by LopingAlong
Replied by LopingAlong on topic Posting emails
It feels that way to me too, Joe, but is done all the time. Maybe it's like when you put your trash out by the curb and it becomes public property?

11 Jun 2010 10:28 #3 by LopingAlong
Replied by LopingAlong on topic Posting emails
Wait, I don't mean that the post was trash or the email was trash or anything else trashy! I stuck my foot in my mouth good, huh? : Embarrassed:

11 Jun 2010 11:24 #4 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic Posting emails
I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but I believe that the recipient of a general email, PM, or letter has the right to do whatever they want with it. It is their property.

Exceptions would be for matters involved in confidentiality agreements, covered by professional requirements, etc.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

11 Jun 2010 11:25 #5 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic Posting emails
It was also a public official, not really a private person

11 Jun 2010 11:28 #6 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Posting emails
I am referring to the Debate PCSO topic.

Maybe it explains why I get these disclaimers on email I receive from certain companies.

Example below:

"This electronic mail (including any attachments) may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or otherwise protected from disclosure to anyone other than its intended recipient(s). Any dissemination or use of this electronic email or its contents (including any attachments) by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply email so that we may correct our internal records. Please then delete the original message (including any attachments) in its entirety. Thank you."

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

11 Jun 2010 11:30 #7 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic Posting emails
Exactly!

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

11 Jun 2010 16:22 #8 by CC
Replied by CC on topic Posting emails
I have always figured that if you don't want your business known...Don't write it down.
I agree. He and the Park County GOP Leader are both public officials.
What they write is public domain.
I think that especially in this case...the public absolutely has a right to know.

11 Jun 2010 17:20 #9 by Mtn Gramma
Replied by Mtn Gramma on topic Posting emails
:yeahthat:

11 Jun 2010 20:30 #10 by AspenValley
Replied by AspenValley on topic Posting emails
Seems like really, really bad taste to me.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds