The End of Men ?

12 Jun 2010 10:52 #1 by CinnamonGirl
The End of Men ? was created by CinnamonGirl
Earlier this year, women became the majority of the workforce for the first time in U.S. history. Most managers are now women too. And for every two men who get a college degree this year, three women will do the same. For years, women’s progress has been cast as a struggle for equality. But what if equality isn’t the end point? What if modern, postindustrial society is simply better suited to women? A report on the unprecedented role reversal now under way— and its vast cultural consequences

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc ... -men/8135/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Jun 2010 12:29 #2 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic The End of Men ?
Most interesting article. Given the ongoing trend, I'd have to consider a sex change were I much younger. I can't imagine what that experience would be like. Now that likely needs to go into another thread altogether.

12 Jun 2010 12:44 #3 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic The End of Men ?
Hey, I like it!

I'm ready to sit at home and eat bonbons (whatever they are) and let a woman support me!

<GD&RRRF>

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

12 Jun 2010 12:50 #4 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic The End of Men ?
Franz, I don't think you can fake it. LOL Oh, well maybe you have more woman in you than I thought.

12 Jun 2010 13:05 #5 by pinedust
Replied by pinedust on topic The End of Men ?

jf1acai wrote: Hey, I like it!

I'm ready to sit at home and eat bonbons (whatever they are) and let a woman support me!

<GD&RRRF>

:thumbsup: errr, ummm... :nono:

12 Jun 2010 13:25 #6 by AspenValley
Replied by AspenValley on topic The End of Men ?
I think it has been a difficult 30 years for men. Women have perhaps been more nimble about getting trained in areas where growth was occurring whereas a lot of men seemed to get stuck hanging on to "traditional" male jobs that while well-paying years ago, have been disappearing in droves in modern society.

I don't think I'd agree that women are somehow "better suited" to our current world, but I would agree that they may have been more willing to make whatever changes they needed to to stay well employed. I do seem to know quite a few men sitting around with stunned looks on their faces wondering where "their" jobs went.

But I do think the transition from men often being the sole breadwinner has been a rocky and difficult and confusing one for many men. And I don't think it has been entirely their fault that things have not been going their way lately.

12 Jun 2010 15:27 #7 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic The End of Men ?

AspenValley wrote: I think it has been a difficult 30 years for men. Women have perhaps been more nimble about getting trained in areas where growth was occurring whereas a lot of men seemed to get stuck hanging on to "traditional" male jobs that while well-paying years ago, have been disappearing in droves in modern society.

I don't think I'd agree that women are somehow "better suited" to our current world, but I would agree that they may have been more willing to make whatever changes they needed to to stay well employed. I do seem to know quite a few men sitting around with stunned looks on their faces wondering where "their" jobs went.

But I do think the transition from men often being the sole breadwinner has been a rocky and difficult and confusing one for many men. And I don't think it has been entirely their fault that things have not been going their way lately.

I couldn't agree with you more with regard to breadwinners. I've seen the same stunned and confused looks. I also have experienced the emotional aspects of not being the breadwinner. I have absolutely nothing about a woman being the bread winner or making more money than I. Having said that here is my interesting story. After retiring from Aramco, I started up a consulting business. I made enough the first two years to pay my financial obligations, but the third year was a killer. I had only two days of work all year. It was then that I began having all kinds of emotional issues. I felt like I was not pulling my weight, became increasingly more anxious and irritable as time without work went on. We did not need for me to make money, the ex took care of that quite well. Yet I looked at the money she made as hers and not as ours. Yet, I never look at what I earn as mine but always as ours. The business has thrived since and I'm comfortable since I can once again "pull my own weight". It is interesting to understand that unemployment of men brought up as breadwinners will have a very difficult time of it.

12 Jun 2010 16:35 #8 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic The End of Men ?

jf1acai wrote: Hey, I like it!

<GD&RRRF>

I'm with you JF1, I'll stay home and drink beer, heck I am already practicing!

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

12 Jun 2010 19:44 #9 by Sunshine Girl
Replied by Sunshine Girl on topic The End of Men ?

CinnamonGirl wrote: Franz, I don't think you can fake it. LOL Oh, well maybe you have more woman in you than I thought.

rofllol CG!

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds