Authorities raid Sizzler restaurants in Phoenix

13 Jun 2010 08:19 #1 by Wayne Harrison
PHOENIX – Sheriff's deputies raided two Sizzler steak house restaurants in Phoenix on Saturday, arresting nine employees who are suspected of being illegal immigrants and using fraudulent documents to get jobs.

The raids were part of a yearlong investigation into whether the operators of the two Sizzler locations broke a civil law by knowingly hiring illegal immigrants, Maricopa County Sheriff's Office Lt. Brian Lee said in a statement.

Deputies were looking for 23 suspects wanted for identity theft, Lee said. Authorities believe one of the suspects was deported three times and has been hired back by Sizzler each time he returned.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100613/ap_ ... pM4GxzfNdF

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Jun 2010 11:02 #2 by JMC
This just the beginning

13 Jun 2010 11:59 #3 by conifermtman
I wish we had a Sizzler in Denver.

13 Jun 2010 12:11 #4 by Wayne Harrison
I thought we did at one time and they went under. Maybe I'm thinking of another steak chain.

Looks like they've got lots of room to expand;

13 Jun 2010 18:38 #5 by The Viking

JMC wrote: This just the beginning

I sure hope so! This is a great first step at fixing a huge problem in this country!

13 Jun 2010 18:42 #6 by Ronbo
This is great news. Thanks for sharing.

15 Jun 2010 16:59 #7 by daisychain
I ate at a Sizzler once. Found a bread wrapper tie in my salad.

15 Jun 2010 17:27 #8 by 2wlady
So they spent an entire year on two restaurants to nab 23 illegals? How much did THAT cost?

Good heavens. Think of all the man hours over a year for 23 people. Not a very good ROI.

16 Jun 2010 09:16 #9 by Grady
Law enforcement isn't about ROI its about enforcing the law. I hope the managers/owners are duly prosecuted. Maybe a little jail time will make an impression.

16 Jun 2010 09:23 #10 by The Viking

Grady wrote: Law enforcement isn't about ROI its about enforcing the law. I hope the managers/owners are duly prosecuted. Maybe a little jail time will make an impression.

Exactly! I think these 23 illegals and the penalties on Sizzler will send a strong message to other business owners in the region. Well worth the investment!

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds