Can anyone who GOP voters like actually win??

26 Apr 2011 09:10 #1 by kresspin

This graphic from the NY Times about their most recent CBS/NYT poll sums up the problem for Republicans: since the GOP is all tea party all the time (see the media attention given to Eric Cantor, the Donald and the junior and senior Pauls), the candidates whom the GOP really gets excited about can't win the general.

The survey at the very least provides a reality check for a race that has received frenetic coverage at times on cable news and the Internet even though nearly 60 percent of Republicans cannot point to a single candidate about whom they are enthusiastic, according to the poll.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/22/us/po ... ml?_r=1&hp

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Apr 2011 09:20 #2 by FredHayek
Just like people hold their nose and vote for who wins the primaries, as the field thins out, you will see more people choose the front runner.
While Romney isn't my perfect choice, if he survives the primaries I think people can back him. He isn't perfect, but he would be better than Obama again. And right now, only the die hard, radicals are interested in 2012, one reason why Trump is leading. Once the majority of Republicans actually start voting and attending caucuses, the outliers quit.
For all those Dems who think the GOP has gone to the extreme, McCain was one of the most moderate Republicans running in 2008.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

26 Apr 2011 09:22 #3 by kresspin
McCain was selected pre Tea Party. What happened then has little bearing on what is happening now in the party.

26 Apr 2011 09:36 #4 by FredHayek
It will be interesting to see how much influence the TEA party has in the primaries and caucuses. I do think they could choose a much more "pure" Republican than Romney or Trump. Yes, I said Trump, while he is spouting the right stuff now, he used to be pro-abortion, gave money to Dems, etc.
Already the Rove GOP is starting to expose his past.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

26 Apr 2011 09:39 #5 by kresspin
Just a guess on my part, based on Romney's State Health Care, I don't think the Tea Party would support him. Again a guess, the Tea Party will be the tail wagging the dog and will force Republicans to chose a candidate of theirs.

26 Apr 2011 11:02 #6 by outdoor338
republicans could run whoever they want and obama will lose.. $5 gas, no jobs, unwanted healthcare..obama is history :woo hoo: :biggrin:

26 Apr 2011 11:07 #7 by chickaree
What precisely is a "pure" Republican?

26 Apr 2011 11:09 #8 by outdoor338
"pure" there is no such thing, I think we all can agree on that!

26 Apr 2011 11:25 #9 by AspenValley
I think the answer to that question is another question. Which "GOP" are you referring to? The old guard that nominated McCain in the last election because they knew that candidates farther right would lose them the general election? Or the Tea Party contingent, who are apparently limitless in their drive to support candidates farther and farther to the right?

If the old guard prevails in the primaries (looking doubtful at this time) the next occupant of the White House will very possibly be a Republican. If the Tea Party prevails in the primaries, I don't think there is a chance in hell of unseating Obama.

26 Apr 2011 12:08 #10 by Pony Soldier
If Trump actually does run as an independent, he will split some of the Republican vote and Obama is a shoo in.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds