Can anyone who GOP voters like actually win??

26 Apr 2011 14:42 #21 by RenegadeCJ
The ones I am looking for aren't running this time. It wouldn't hurt my feelings as PS said for Obama to win a 2nd term, with a strong rep majority in congress to keep Obama from being able to continue on his destructive path. Then, in 2016, when the great reps are ready (Christie, Rubio, Ryan) an excellent president willing to make the tough choices now instead of kicking the can down the road would be easily elected. THEN we could make the major reforms we need to do to have some tough times now, but make the future brighter for our kids. We did this to ourselves, we need to suck it up and deal with it ourselves. Then our kids will have a shot of having a better standard of living than we do now.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Apr 2011 14:43 #22 by AspenValley
I agree that it's unlikely the economic situation is going to look much better by the time of the election, and I also agree that some voters will chalk it up to the "failed Obama policies" even though the situation is about 50 times more complicated than that. In my opinion, the situation we have now would have taken place no matter who had been elected in 2008 and I don't believe it's just a simple matter of a "policy" solution.

That said, I think it's pretty sad that you have to count on things getting worse and worse to make your candidates look good enough to have a chance of winning.

Again, time will tell, and no doubt Obama will pay a price for the state of the economy whether it's all his fault or not, but I still think the odds of a Republican victory in 2012 are going to be sharply diminished if that candidate is "Tea Party Friendly".

26 Apr 2011 14:50 #23 by AspenValley

BearMtnHIB wrote: [That said- if the republicans nominate Romney- I will not be voting republican. I will never again vote for a big government type republican (RINO). I hope the republicans have enough sense to run their most conservative candidate. If they don't - many conservatives like me will vote for a third party like the libertarians.

So there you go. If the Republicans nominate a far-right candidate they are going to go down because there aren't enough votes out there to support that kind of agenda, no matter how disenchanted people may be with Obama. If the nominate a more moderate choice, they are going to split their own party in half. Either way, I don't see them taking the White House in 2012. They may make gains in Congress - or then again they may not. There is already signs of significant backlash against the Tea Party candidates elected in 2010.

26 Apr 2011 14:50 #24 by outdoor338
AV, lets say that democrats don't want to see obama run again, who would you like to see in your party run? Just wondering!

26 Apr 2011 14:56 #25 by AspenValley

outdoor338 wrote: AV, lets say that democrats don't want to see obama run again, who would you like to see in your party run? Just wondering!

I'm an Independent. Even if I weren't, I'd rather see another Obama Presidency than a far-right idealogue win. It would be strategically stupid for the Democrats to nominate someone other than a sitting President unless he REALLY, REALLY messes up big time between now and the primaries.

A Republican candidate who could convince me he or she wasn't all about ideology and had no truck with the crazy birther stuff and other looney non-issues might win my vote, but I'm leery of another Neo-con like Bush or worse.

26 Apr 2011 15:08 #26 by OmniScience

AspenValley wrote: Again, time will tell, and no doubt Obama will pay a price for the state of the economy whether it's all his fault or not, .

Whether deserving or not, the media will see to it that he will not be blamed. For anything. After the failed stimulus, the media talked about what he inherited from Bush, and how it could have been 'a lot worse', etc.

He could be caught drowning kittens and the media would defend him, and I'm sure there will be a few more "Matthews Thrills" during his 2012 marketing campaign.

26 Apr 2011 15:11 #27 by LadyJazzer

BearMtnHIB wrote: I hope the republicans have enough sense to run their most conservative candidate.

You can't possibly know how much I hope for the same thing!!!

26 Apr 2011 15:24 #28 by AspenValley

OmniScience wrote:

AspenValley wrote: Again, time will tell, and no doubt Obama will pay a price for the state of the economy whether it's all his fault or not, .

Whether deserving or not, the media will see to it that he will not be blamed. For anything. After the failed stimulus, the media talked about what he inherited from Bush, and how it could have been 'a lot worse', etc.

He could be caught drowning kittens and the media would defend him, and I'm sure there will be a few more "Matthews Thrills" during his 2012 marketing campaign.

I suppose it's partly a matter of perspective but I don't see where "the media" is defending Obama all that much. Maybe on MSNBC? I don't watch TV news though so couldn't say.

But it is true that Obama didn't create this situation. He doesn't seem to have much idea of how to deal with it, but he didn't create it, either. It's been coming a long, long time - at least 30 years. I don't automatically think, however, that just plugging in some other guy with an R instead of a D after his name will fix it though.

26 Apr 2011 15:26 #29 by outdoor338
It will take all of us, to get us out of this jam we are in, and I agree its been going on for years, both dems and repubs are responsible for this mess.

26 Apr 2011 15:28 #30 by archer
The voters are a fickle bunch....if those Republicans they voted into office this last election don't start turning their attention to jobs, jobs, and more jobs, the public may punish them for it and vote in democrats for the same reason they voted them out in 2010....because the voters want change, and they will keep demanding it till they get it, no matter how many elections it takes of replacing one party with the other.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds