What Do You Consider The Most Important Issue?

29 Apr 2011 09:58 #21 by kresspin
It's hard to discern what you are trying to say with a one-word response. Unlike you, the rest of us aren't mind readers

Do you want to raise taxes?

Do you want to get rid of taxes altogether?

Can you try being a little more descriptive in explaining what you mean by "taxes!"?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Apr 2011 10:10 #22 by chickaree

RenegadeCJ wrote:

chickaree wrote:

cydl wrote:

Nobody that matters wrote: The most important issue facing the US right now is that the politcal system has become so mired in partisan bickering and greed that nearly the entire government has forgetten that they are in public service positions - not public authority positions.

:yeahthat:

Until politicians decide that doing the people's business is more important than running for re-election, the economy will NEVER get fixed...because they don't want to take any responsibility for making a hard decision!

so how do we force them to do this?

I think the best way to do this is quit having them go to DC. Keep them in their states and districts. In this day and age of technology, they could do all their debates over something like "go to meeting" and the lobbyists would have to spend massive amounts of money to travel all over to bribe (I mean influence) them. Plus, we the people in our own states would then be able to go see them, and influence them ourselves, because they are right here.

I like this idea. Unfortunately they won't go for it because in DC they have all the sugar daddies concentrated in one place. The only leverage we have are our votes and we don't use those wisely at all.

29 Apr 2011 10:14 #23 by major bean

kresspin wrote: It's hard to discern what you are trying to say with a one-word response. Unlike you, the rest of us aren't mind readers

Do you want to raise taxes?

Do you want to get rid of taxes altogether?

Can you try being a little more descriptive in explaining what you mean by "taxes!"?

Sure I can be more specific. The title of this thread is "What Do You Consider The Most Important Issue?" so I consider the most important issue to be "taxes".

Regards,
Major Bean

29 Apr 2011 10:24 #24 by ComputerBreath
I chose other...I do not believe there is one single MOST important issue, but there are a lot of issues that have led to where we are as a country and until they are looked at, it seems we will be running in place or taking one step forward and three steps backward for a while.

Some issues:
1) The economy...but the questions of how we got to where we are have to be delved into...blames have gone to the politicians, the banks, the oil companys, people over-extending their finances...but I think it is an amalgamation of all of the above and then some.
2) The politicians not serving the people that elect them is big... And the in-fighting that goes on.
3) Illegals
4) Maybe the wars...though I do believe they also help the economy because the services are hiring more people, who have jobs and are spending more...but that's my opinion...it'll backfire when the services start RIFing folks because they have to draw-down
5) Both the Feds and State & local governments overspending on programs or things that aren't needed.

Everytime I think about government spending, I think of the movie "Dave" where the imposter president actually used normal-people common sense to eliminate debt!

29 Apr 2011 10:37 #25 by BearMtnHIB

chickaree wrote:

RenegadeCJ wrote:

chickaree wrote:

cydl wrote:

Nobody that matters wrote: The most important issue facing the US right now is that the politcal system has become so mired in partisan bickering and greed that nearly the entire government has forgetten that they are in public service positions - not public authority positions.

:yeahthat:

Until politicians decide that doing the people's business is more important than running for re-election, the economy will NEVER get fixed...because they don't want to take any responsibility for making a hard decision!

so how do we force them to do this?

I think the best way to do this is quit having them go to DC. Keep them in their states and districts. In this day and age of technology, they could do all their debates over something like "go to meeting" and the lobbyists would have to spend massive amounts of money to travel all over to bribe (I mean influence) them. Plus, we the people in our own states would then be able to go see them, and influence them ourselves, because they are right here.

I like this idea. Unfortunately they won't go for it because in DC they have all the sugar daddies concentrated in one place. The only leverage we have are our votes and we don't use those wisely at all.

Your all off track here. The way to solve this problem is to strip away their power. And when I say power I mean money. A smaller government means they won't have as much trouble to get into.

Returning the vast government scope back to the basics - back to the primary functions that our federal gobberment is supposed to be focused on- would solve more than 75% of all the problems we see now. The problems we have now with lobbyists influencing our officials stems from government expanding it's scope beyond any recognition of what was originally intended.

This should be of interest to both the left and the right- as a limited government would not be able to do those things that each side finds distasteful.

A return to the gold standard would just about eliminate the need for the federal reserve to regulate the money supply- get rid of the fed. A consumption based tax system for individuals and a low flat rate corporate tax system with NO tax incentives or subsidies would level the playing field for all sectors of the economy- and pretty much put an end to our corporate lobby system.

If those things were to get done- and I know they never will- most of our corruption and scandal would simply go away.

29 Apr 2011 10:38 #26 by Nobody that matters

major bean wrote: Sure I can be more specific. The title of this thread is "What Do You Consider The Most Important Issue?" so I consider the most important issue to be "taxes".

I like that way of thinking...

I'm changing my vote...

Survival

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

29 Apr 2011 10:41 #27 by Martin Ent Inc
Hey BearMt, you will never get rid of the FED, it isn't really even FED.
Read the Creature from Jekyll Island.

29 Apr 2011 10:51 #28 by cydl
A good point, HIB - I too believe that the government has far outreached it's original mandate. But returning the government back to what it's supposed to do would be a very difficult if not impossible project.

Take entitlements, for example (one of my favorite whipping boys!), and in particular Social Security. I am in an age group where I'm certain that I will never see a penny of any of the Social Security that I have paid into for 35+ years - it'll be broke before I will come of age to collect any. My personal opinion is that the government should stop taking FICA out of our paychecks. To me it is an institutionalized Ponzi scheme. Heck, I'd even suck it up and tell them "keep what I've paid in, just don't take any more"! But if they actually did that, could you hear the howling that would ensue? Not to mention that Congress would lose a considerable financial honey-hole!

IMHO, we have unfortunately created a nation that increasingly lives "on the dole" with an increasing smaller portion of the population ponying up the funds to support that model. And when the folks who are contributing to that finally decide to cut it off and pull out (and I don't think that time is too far away), things are going to get REALLY ugly.

29 Apr 2011 11:01 #29 by cydl
...and one other thing that would improve the economy and the society as a whole (in my opinion). All health care institutions must be non-profit. Yeah, like THAT would ever happen!

29 Apr 2011 11:07 #30 by Nobody that matters

cydl wrote: ...and one other thing that would improve the economy and the society as a whole (in my opinion). All health care institutions must be non-profit. Yeah, like THAT would ever happen!

Good Lord, I hope that would never happen! That would crush any incentive that they currently have to try and improve. It's bad enough now - that'd make it worse!

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds