Should storm-damaged states get federal aid?

30 Apr 2011 17:02 #51 by Residenttroll returns

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

kresspin wrote: jf mentioned fires up here.

I have fire insurance. When I lived in a flood-prone area, I had flood insurance. If I lived in California I'd have earthquake insurance (if there is such a thing).

I don't think New Orleans should have been rebuilt, but if it was rebuilt, it shouldn't have been with U.S. dollars. The U.S. government is not an insurance company and is especially not a free insurance company.

Agreed. N.O. already sat below sea level and thereby begging to be flooded. With sea level continuing to rise as a result of global warming, we can eventually expect sea level rise another 100 feet. (I'm not an advocate of us triggering global warming and certainly think it is hilarious to think we can do anything to stop it from happening) Much of the Gulf coast is threatened in this way. We should have take this opportunity to move N.O. inland in advance of the rising sea.

The FRENCH built New Orleans below sea level...that explains it all. If the seas are continuing to rise....why did Al Gore buy beach front property in California. It's a hilarious myth that the ocean is rising. Actually, I think the continent is sinking..... LOL LOL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Apr 2011 17:17 #52 by Rockdoc

residenttroll wrote:

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

I have fire insurance. When I lived in a flood-prone area, I had flood insurance. If I lived in California I'd have earthquake insurance (if there is such a thing).

I don't think New Orleans should have been rebuilt, but if it was rebuilt, it shouldn't have been with U.S. dollars. The U.S. government is not an insurance company and is especially not a free insurance company.

Agreed. N.O. already sat below sea level and thereby begging to be flooded. With sea level continuing to rise as a result of global warming, we can eventually expect sea level rise another 100 feet. (I'm not an advocate of us triggering global warming and certainly think it is hilarious to think we can do anything to stop it from happening) Much of the Gulf coast is threatened in this way. We should have take this opportunity to move N.O. inland in advance of the rising sea.

The FRENCH built New Orleans below sea level...that explains it all. If the seas are continuing to rise....why did Al Gore buy beach front property in California. It's a hilarious myth that the ocean is rising. Actually, I think the continent is sinking..... LOL LOL

In the case of NO, it is a combination we call relative rise in sea level. In the case of California, the continent is emerging given the tectonic stress field there, yet a rise in sea level can be measured since the last ice age. I have data of how much of a rise there has been if you actually wish to see it.

30 Apr 2011 17:19 #53 by Rockdoc

major bean wrote:

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

You actually believe what you just posted? Any part of it?

Climatic changes and relative changes in sea level are matter I deal with every day for the past 30 years. It is not a matter of belief but supporting data that sea level is rising. Simple as that.

30 Apr 2011 17:38 #54 by major bean
Which doctored emails have you received from the "experts" which convinced you? 100 feet? Until your post, it has always been a couple of dozen inches.
I did not know that people who study dirt and rocks are weather experts. Interesting.

Regards,
Major Bean

30 Apr 2011 17:52 #55 by Rockdoc

major bean wrote: Which doctored emails have you received from the "experts" which convinced you? 100 feet? Until your post, it has always been a couple of dozen inches.
I did not know that people who study dirt and rocks are weather experts. Interesting.

There are a lot of things you have no clue about. Just a little information for you. Climatic change is not weather. Relative changes in sea level as well as changes in climate leave a signal in sedimentary rocks. The pleistocene low stand left wave cut terraces on the reefs there that are now 125 feet below sea level. Mangrove peat that forms at sea level is already 20 or more feet below sea leave in many places like Florida and Belize. Perhaps you ought to do a little research to calculate the total rise in sea level once all the ice melts.

30 Apr 2011 17:58 #56 by HappyCamper
I just question if some of you have any feelings what so ever.

I have insurance but I am a compassionate person and will answer the question with a loud YES the government should help we are America and as Americans we do not leave our fellow Americans suffering. If you want that I could suggest many countries you might want to live in.

The government may not do the best job but to not want them to help is just stupidity coming out of your mouth. Maybe spending your time coming up with better ways for the government to help is a better use of your time.

30 Apr 2011 18:04 #57 by major bean

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

major bean wrote: Which doctored emails have you received from the "experts" which convinced you? 100 feet? Until your post, it has always been a couple of dozen inches.

There are a lot of things you have no clue about. Just a little information for you. Climatic change is not weather. Relative changes in sea level as well as changes in climate leave a signal in sedimentary rocks. The pleistocene low stand left wave cut terraces on the reefs there that are now 125 feet below sea level. Mangrove peat that forms at sea level is already 20 or more feet below sea leave in many places like Florida and Belize. Perhaps you ought to do a little research to calculate the total rise in sea level once all the ice melts.

Or maybe the lowering of the land mass? Those who believe in a static land mass need to take a look at the events that recently happened to Japan.
Mayby you need to reconsider you accumulated "knowledge" and read a little more before you post such "facts".

Regards,
Major Bean

30 Apr 2011 18:08 #58 by major bean

HappyCamper wrote: I just question if some of you have any feelings what so ever.

I have insurance but I am a compassionate person and will answer the question with a loud YES the government should help we are America and as Americans we do not leave our fellow Americans suffering. If you want that I could suggest many countries you might want to live in.

The government may not do the best job but to not want them to help is just stupidity coming out of your mouth. Maybe spending your time coming up with better ways for the government to help is a better use of your time.

Our country is compassionate. But shipping money before finding that money is needed is just stupid. We provide a free education to people so that they might get a job that would provide the monies to ensure that they can have insurance and other protections. Those who reject the opportunity to take advantage of that education and its benefits do not deserve assistance. They made their own choices in life. We should not have to suffer also whenever their shortsightedness comes home to haunt them.

Regards,
Major Bean

30 Apr 2011 18:20 #59 by 2wlady
The lack of compassion of several people on this topic is mind-boggling.

:(:

30 Apr 2011 18:26 #60 by Rockdoc

major bean wrote:

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

Or maybe the lowering of the land mass? Those who believe in a static land mass need to take a look at the events that recently happened to Japan.
Mayby you need to reconsider you accumulated "knowledge" and read a little more before you post such "facts".

I see. you read a news article and suddenly you are an expert on isostasy and heat flow. Incredible. You are far to ignorant in geology for me to waste my time in an intelligent discussion.

Now where were we. Oh yes, federal aid. I still think we need to rethink how we dispense federal aid.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds