Should storm-damaged states get federal aid?

01 May 2011 15:21 #91 by Residenttroll returns

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

residenttroll wrote: RockDoc, how many months, years, decades, centuries has Denmark been concerned of the rising waters?

I'm ignorant on this topic.

Really? So how could you claim that global warming is the reason for rise of water in Denmark?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 May 2011 16:04 #92 by Rockdoc

residenttroll wrote:

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

residenttroll wrote: RockDoc, how many months, years, decades, centuries has Denmark been concerned of the rising waters?

I'm ignorant on this topic.

Really? So how could you claim that global warming is the reason for rise of water in Denmark?

Pray tell where to I make that claim? I reference the Netherlands which are NOT Denmark. It is the Netherlands that has has been recording sea level changes since 1700, so lets see they've been doing it for a little more than 300 years. But as pointed out before, their data is perhaps best viewed as a relative rise in SL.

01 May 2011 16:49 #93 by Residenttroll returns
My apologies... Netherlands not Denmark...

01 May 2011 17:07 #94 by Pony Soldier
Global warming is a fact RT - the issue is whether man is contributing a significant amount to it. As Rocdoc pointed out, we've been getting warmer since the last ice age.

01 May 2011 17:15 #95 by Residenttroll returns

towermonkey wrote: Global warming is a fact RT - the issue is whether man is contributing a significant amount to it. As Rocdoc pointed out, we've been getting warmer since the last ice age.

Thanks...really? How do you know that?

When was the last ice age?

02 May 2011 10:02 #96 by ComputerBreath
What happens when or if natural disasters do not get federal aid?
As for sending in the military, isn't that partly what each state's National Guard is for? Though, I do know that since the wars, they haven't had the personnel or the equipment because it has been taken to the war zones by the Federal government.
I do believe that the money allocated to each state that asks for Federal aid should be accounted for publicly...how much was received, what it was spent on, where the remainder (if any) went, etc.

I do not know a lot about Federal Aid, and so beyond the questions and comments above, will say nothing more.

04 May 2011 06:42 #97 by TPP

towermonkey wrote: Global warming is a fact RT - the issue is whether man is contributing a significant amount to it. As Rocdoc pointed out, we've been getting warmer since the last ice age.

04 May 2011 07:19 #98 by Rockdoc

TPP wrote:

There in lies the misconception. Global warming aka climate change is not a seasonal phenomena. It is instead a overall warming or cooling of the earth by a few degrees on average over all seasons.

04 May 2011 11:08 #99 by jf1acai

AUSTIN – Gov. Rick Perry today criticized the Obama Administration for its denial late Tuesday of the state’s April 16th request for a federal Major Disaster Declaration to assist with the ongoing wildfire season, which has burned more than 2.2 million acres, an area roughly greater than Rhode Island and Delaware combined. Since the wildfire season began in November 2010, Texas has responded to more than 9,000 fires across the state that have destroyed or damaged more than 400 homes.

“I am dismayed that this administration has denied Texans the much needed assistance they deserve. It is not only the obligation of the federal government, but its responsibility under law to help its citizens in times of emergency,” Gov. Perry said. “Our state has become a model for the nation in disaster preparedness and response, but Texas is reaching its capacity to respond to these emergencies. We will immediately look at all of our options, including appealing the denial, so Texans can receive the resources and support they need as wildfires continue to threaten life and property across our state."

Source

Not a lot of information, but certainly makes me wonder...

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

04 May 2011 12:05 #100 by Soulshiner
The federal government denied Texas a major disaster declaration because recovery needs from wildfires did not exceed what the state could handle, a federal emergency management official said Wednesday.

An assessment of damage from fires that scorched 2.2 million acres since November determined that Texas did not require assistance beyond the 22 federal fire management assistance grants already awarded to the state, according to the U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency.

"FEMA has been in close contact with the state since the fires occurred, and based on the information they provided, it was determined that there was not a need for additional support at this time," FEMA spokeswoman Rachel Racusen said in a statement. "We will continue to work closely with the state and local emergency management officials."

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/05/04 ... z1LPMuT5sd

When you plant ice you're going to harvest wind. - Robert Hunter

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds