Local Schools - The Grim Reaper

01 May 2011 19:42 #41 by deltamrey
Chief - you are not typical.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 May 2011 23:16 #42 by Local_Historian

deltamrey wrote: BTW Aspen - the distressed properties up here are a great value - reality starts next door.

More of your lies.

1. Jeffco is STILL not all up here in the mountains - please learn how to use a map.

2. Property valuations were mailed out this last week - all of us got them. Guess what? Property values are UP, by a good percentage, and much higher value - by at least 23% - than the values were in 2005. I doubt anyone got a lower valuation than last year. Nice try, consider using facts next time.

3. Continual derogatory statements about the people up here will just get them to vote NO in hopes you will get tired of the area and move away.

4. Safeway is not closing or even considering it - you lied. I asked. Go ask the managers like responsible people do.

01 May 2011 23:29 #43 by Local_Historian

major bean wrote: 1. Would you pay teachers more money who do a crappy job because they perceive that their pay is not sufficient and have an attitude that "if you pay me more I will teach better"?
2. Will more money make teachers teach better?
3. If the number of good teachers is limited, how will paying teachers more increase the number of good teachers available?
4. If, as Aspen Valley says, the parents are more involved where students acheive better, how will paying more money to teachers increase parent involvement? If the parents have no expectations of their children how will paying teachers more money create greater parental expectations?

I'll answer some of these - actually, I will answer the first three all at once. A higher rate of pay will allow schools to be pickier about the teachers they choose for the school, because those with the excellent skills will be willing to stay teachers instead of taking much higher paying private sector jobs. As for crappy teachers - plenty of call centers out there for them to work in.

As for the second one - having taught in a city setting, having made call after call, trying to get parents involved - the simple fact of the matter is you cannot create parental expectations, you cannot get some parents involved. Even in private and semi private schools like RMAE, parents either have to volunteer x number of hours in the school, or have to pay x number of dollars more in tuition - some parents will pay more money. Some parents just really don't give a care about their kids - I'm amazed some even acknowledge their kids existence.

Perhaps a better argument for having a license to breed. Those who don't care and won't care don't get to breed.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds