Give it a rest

02 May 2011 17:47 #21 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Give it a rest
Thank you Kate, that was a nice reminder.

In the end, according to news reports I've read (with a grain of salt) bin Laden wasn't even involved in day-to-day operations so this is mostly a symbolic victory for us, more-so than a strategic victory. We still need an intelligent foreign policy implemented that will get us out of the ME (well, sort-of out of the ME, we've built lots of permanent bases so if anyone thinks we're actually pulling out completely anytime soon is seriously mistaken), while not leaving a vacuum in leadership and subsequent in-fighting amongst minor factions.

I for one am happy that the mission was accomplished with no loss of American life, our soldiers are the best trained in the world and I am grateful for that. Let's move past the partisan he said/she said, who's responsible, who gets credit, etc details and get to fixing the more pressing problems.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 May 2011 17:54 #22 by LadyJazzer
Replied by LadyJazzer on topic Give it a rest
One of the family-members of a 9/11 victim said something I liked...

"It gives me great comfort to know that the last thought that probably went through Bin Laden's mind was, 'Oh no...The Americans are here, and I'm going to die for what I did.'" Perhaps--perhaps not... But it would be nice to think so.

02 May 2011 18:24 #23 by Sunshine Girl
Replied by Sunshine Girl on topic Give it a rest

Kate wrote: "I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Nice quote. I think one can understand why the act had to be done, but to 'rejoice' would not be how I feel. That said, I didn't loose someone I love in the attack of 9/11. I can only imagine if one of my children died I might be singing a completely different tune. But one thing I can assure you is my personal feeling of his death would have ZERO to do with politics.

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

02 May 2011 18:40 #24 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Give it a rest

Science Chic wrote: Thank you Kate, that was a nice reminder.

In the end, according to news reports I've read (with a grain of salt) bin Laden wasn't even involved in day-to-day operations so this is mostly a symbolic victory for us, more-so than a strategic victory. We still need an intelligent foreign policy implemented that will get us out of the ME (well, sort-of out of the ME, we've built lots of permanent bases so if anyone thinks we're actually pulling out completely anytime soon is seriously mistaken), while not leaving a vacuum in leadership and subsequent in-fighting amongst minor factions.

I for one am happy that the mission was accomplished with no loss of American life, our soldiers are the best trained in the world and I am grateful for that. Let's move past the partisan he said/she said, who's responsible, who gets credit, etc details and get to fixing the more pressing problems.

And why not leave a "vacuum" in leadership. Iraq is operating on its own and likely can do so without all the troops still there. Eventually they will need to face their demons without the US, perhaps joyfully without the US. Our very presence makes it that much more difficult for a strong leadership to evolve. There is always the perception that we need to leave the place better than what it was like when we got there. It already is better for many in the region. No, the only reason we continue to hang on is to insure personal gains, i.e. oil exports, democracy as we would have it rather than how Iraq wants it. Let's just be realistic. here. If your house is burning at home, are you going to let it burn while you help your neighbor fend off the threat of it burning? No, you go and save your own home as best as you can and hope that your neighbor would help or at the very least understand.

It is time for our troops to be brought home ASAP from all around the world. America needs to heal.

02 May 2011 18:53 #25 by kresspin
Replied by kresspin on topic Give it a rest
...and get on with the important business, such as Obama's fake birth certificate!

02 May 2011 18:55 #26 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Give it a rest

kresspin wrote: ...and get on with the important business, such as Obama's fake birth certificate!

Yes, I just noted you posted something about time travel with regard to a BC. Talk about giving it a rest, I thinkthat topic certainly deserves a rest.

02 May 2011 18:59 #27 by Martin Ent Inc
Replied by Martin Ent Inc on topic Give it a rest
:yeahthat: Roc.

02 May 2011 19:32 #28 by kresspin
Replied by kresspin on topic Give it a rest
It deserved a rest two or three years ago.... but some on here want to make it an issue in the 2012 election.

Maybe you two are part of the cover-up, hmmmm?

02 May 2011 19:41 #29 by Obam me
Replied by Obam me on topic Give it a rest
What I see when kresspin posts...""Wah wah woh wah wah. .Wah wah woh wah wah. .Wah wah woh wah wah. .Wah wah woh wah wah. .Wah wah woh wah wah. .Wah wah woh wah wah. .Wah wah woh wah wah. .Wah wah woh wah wah. .Wah wah woh wah wah. .Wah wah woh wah wah. .Wah wah woh wah wah. .Wah wah woh wah wah. .Wah wah woh wah wah. .Wah wah woh wah wah. .Wah wah woh wah wah. .Wah wah woh wah wah. .Wah wah woh wah wah. .Wah wah woh wah wah. .Wah wah woh wah wah. .Wah wah woh wah wah. .Wah wah woh wah wah. .Wah wah woh wah wah. .Wah wah woh wah wah. .Wah wah woh wah wah. .Wah wah woh wah wah. .Wah wah woh wah wah. .Wah wah woh wah wah. .Wah wah woh wah wah. .Wah wah woh wah wah. .Wah wah woh wah wah. .Wah wah woh wah wah. .Wah wah woh wah wah. .

02 May 2011 19:42 #30 by Martin Ent Inc
Replied by Martin Ent Inc on topic Give it a rest
Could care less bout his birth cert. Just wanna know who pulls the strings from behind the curtain.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds