Some Interesting bin Laden Stories I Found Today

03 May 2011 02:57 #1 by ScienceChic
In totally random order and content!

http://topicfire.com/share/Before-the-R ... 64834.html
Before the Raid, SEALs Rehearsed in a Full-Scale Replica of the Bin Laden Compound
The anonymous team behind the assassination, and how it went down
By Rebecca Boyle Posted 05.02.2011

The Navy SEAL team that offed the 21st century’s most wanted man Sunday was so concerned about preparation and accuracy that they re-created the one-acre compound where their target was living, “Ocean’s Eleven” style. The SEALS ran trial runs there in early April until they were ready to take down Osama bin Laden.

This snippet, mentioned in a depiction of the raid posted at the Atlantic, http://www.theatlantic.com/internationa ... en/238163/ highlights one particularly interesting facet of this operation: It centered on people. Certainly, the specialized Black Hawk helicopters, hyperspectral imagers and other tactical technology were key — but in the end, bin Laden met his demise at the hands of ultra-trained human warriors, not machines. Here’s how it went down.

The compound where he was staying/killed:
File Attachment:

The Atlantic article linked in the story above details The Secret Team That Killed Osama bin Laden - good stuff!

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... new-threat
Bin Laden's Death Might Not Pose a New Threat
Al Qaeda affiliates may seek retribution for Osama bin Laden's death, but the data paint a more sobering picture
By Fred Guterl | May 2, 2011

If the history of counterterrorism is any guide, the action will also inspire a desire for retribution among al Qaeda and its myriad affiliate groups throughout the world. The threat is real but not as great as it might loom in our imaginations, argues sociologist Charles Kurzman at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Kurzman is an expert on the Middle East and social movements. He is author of The Missing Martyrs: Why There Are So Few Muslim Terrorists, forthcoming from Oxford University Press in the summer. Scientific American asked him to weigh in on the terrorist threat we might anticipate in the wake of Bin Laden's death.

See article for transcript...

http://www.scholarsandrogues.com/2011/0 ... ma-really/
Why Obama went after Osama, really
Posted on May 2, 2011 by wufnik
[under 9-11, Bush administration, humor, Iraq, Middle East, neocons, Obama administration, terrorism, UK, war]

Like most people, I’m mostly glad that Osama is dead. What I’m having some trouble with are the responses from the right, the ones that question Obama’s timing of this exercise.

What is being overlooked here is the obvious, as usual. Much has been made here of the failure of the Royal Wedding planners to invite Gordon Brown and Tony Blair to the wedding of the century, or the millennium, or something. Many commentators seem greatly troubled by this. If that’s true, imagine how Obama must feel. This is hugely embarrassing. So, clearly Obama went after Osama at the point that he did in order to distract attention from his grievous failure to receive an invitation to the Royal Wedding, and remove all that Royal Wedding coverage off the front pages of the world’s newspapers. And he’s been remarkably successful. Simple, really. :thumbsup: lol

http://topicfire.com/share/Online-revel ... 60168.html
Online revelry at Osama bin Laden's death
May 2, 2011 by Glenn Chapman

By the time Sunday ended in California more than 265,000 people had "liked" an "Osama bin Laden is Dead" page at social networking service Facebook.

In contrast, a set of English and Arabic Facebook pages titled "We are all Osama bin Laden" had logged fewer than 600 "likes."

"This page is a disgrace to Islam," a fresh comment at one of the pro-bin Laden pages read.

"He tarnished the name of Allah and (you are) proud?" the message continued. "May Allah have mercy on your ignorance."

http://topicfire.com/share/Bin-Laden-De ... 63198.html
Bin Laden Death Conspiracy Theories?
by Chris Mooney

If you want to find Bin Laden death conspiracy theories–and apparently they’re already hatching–it seems to me the pertinent question to ask is, who has a deep emotional motivation to question the fact that Bin Laden is actually dead? So I would tend to look first to Al Qaeda supporters, etc, not birthers. But this will be interesting to watch and I’m interested in what others think.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 May 2011 07:02 - 03 May 2011 11:10 #2 by FredHayek
Ralph Peters on Fox, was speculating last night that the Pakistani inteligence organization had Osama under essentially house arrest. Osama had to spend most of his time there and they would try to protect him from being found by US forces. I wonder with the new intel from the million dollar spider hole if the rest of Al Quiada is on the run again.

But this organization is a loose cannon. I don't believe the current Pakistani President knew where OBL was.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

03 May 2011 07:19 #3 by Rick
I hope we did get lots of good intel, and I hope we stop giving a dime to Pakistan...they are not our friends.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

03 May 2011 08:10 #4 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Some Interesting bin Laden Stories I Found Today
I am so shocked at some of the responses and thinking behind this. I do not feel so happy about this and I don't feel Obama is now the end all president that now has some sort of legacy. One day he has all these issues and the next he is the Messiah?

I also understand that Bin Laden had to be killed because of the circumstances but I do not feel comfortable being happy and seeing people cheer in the streets. So, you only believe in the death penalty under certain circumstances?

And that quote above about the royal wedding? Are you kidding me. I rarely say this but people really have weird priorities.

TY SC, interesting stuff.

03 May 2011 09:28 #5 by Pony Soldier

SS109 wrote: Ralph Peters on Fox, was speculating last night that the Pakistani inteligence organization had Obama under essentially house arrest. Osama had to spend most of his time there and they would try to protect him from being found by US forces. I wonder with the new intel from the million dollar spider hole if the rest of Al Quiada is on the run again.

Pakistani Intelligence had our president under house arrest? How did they manage that?

03 May 2011 09:57 #6 by FredHayek

towermonkey wrote:

SS109 wrote: Ralph Peters on Fox, was speculating last night that the Pakistani inteligence organization had Obama under essentially house arrest. Osama had to spend most of his time there and they would try to protect him from being found by US forces. I wonder with the new intel from the million dollar spider hole if the rest of Al Quiada is on the run again.

Pakistani Intelligence had our president under house arrest? How did they manage that?

They set him up in this million dollar fortress so that he could lay low. I think in the coming months it will be found out that the Pakistani intelligence community was in communication with Obama.

03 May 2011 10:00 #7 by Pony Soldier

03 May 2011 10:36 #8 by PrintSmith
With only a single letter to differentiate between the two names (not the men, the names), it's pretty easy to mix the two unintentionally when you are speaking of both within the same text - the mistake has been made by those of both political stripes. Maybe that's why they changed the spelling from Osama to Usama recently?

Gotcha may be fun politically, but it generally keeps important things from being talked about, which is why both parties indulge themselves so frequently in using it.

I do find the timing an odd coincidence though. Obama has to be cursing his luck right about now, or celebrating it. It has the appearance of Wag the Dog with the timing of the long form release - but both incidents are generally seen as politically profitable for him.

Then there's the whole thing about the intel coming as a result of the enhanced interrogation - which we were all told over and over again yields no credible intelligence. Kind of puts that bit of nonsense to rest once and for all, doesn't it? Just think, without Gitmo, without enhanced interrogations, both of which Obama opposed and used as clubs, the knowledge of the courier would not have come out, which means there would have been no courier to follow back to a compound, which means that U/Osama wouldn't be fish food at the moment.

And of course now the reason for keeping troops in Afghanistan becomes more tenuous as well. We originally went in there to bring the evil doers to justice, right? We've got the two top dogs that schemed to bring war to this nation. Do we pack up now and go home to show that all we were interested in was justice? Do we stay in the graveyard of empires now that bin Laden is gone?

I think the job for Obama just got harder, not easier. He has my respect for making that difficult call to send in the Seals without knowing 100% that O/Usama was there. That would have been a cap on One & Done if it had failed and those Seals had taken a large number of casualties or had been captured. That was perhaps the riskiest decision politically that Obama has ever had to make, but politics be damned, he made the decision based on what was right, what would best serve the nation, not himself. The destruction of O/Usama wasn't a VE or a VJ moment for this president. I think it is a proud moment for this nation that both Bush and Obama had a hand in realizing, and they should both receive the thanks of all of us for making difficult decisions when the decisions needed to be made.

Huzzah Mr. President, Huzzah Mr. Bush. You have the thanks of a grateful nation for the burdens you have borne. Your hair is grayer, your faces more lined, your souls more disturbed than they might otherwise be, but you have both conducted yourself in this matter to the benefit of us all.

03 May 2011 11:11 #9 by FredHayek
Sen. Diane Feinstein is denying any enhanced interrogation was used to find out the location of the courier, so it once again goes back to he said/she said.

03 May 2011 11:49 #10 by 2wlady
For crying out loud. "Enhanced" is just a form of torture. People eventually break under torture. Just IMO.

The timing? Obviously the training was completed and the Seals were ready. If you hold off too long, the combatants get "stale," lose their edge. It was the right time.

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds