Who gets the credit?

03 May 2011 14:52 #1 by Residenttroll returns
Man on the Moon. The first man on the moon was during the Nixon Administration.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 May 2011 14:56 #2 by AspenValley
Replied by AspenValley on topic Who gets the credit?
The official White House website credits it as "one of the most dramatic events of his first term occurred in 1969, when American astronauts made the first moon landing."

So do you call that "credit" or not?

03 May 2011 14:58 #3 by Residenttroll returns

AspenValley wrote: The official White House website credits it as "one of the most dramatic events of his first term occurred in 1969, when American astronauts made the first moon landing."

AV, are you saying that Nixon should get the credit for the man on the moon? 280 plus tornadoes in 24 hour period was one of the most dramatic events in Obama's first term, but that doesn't mean we give him credit for them.

03 May 2011 15:01 #4 by pineinthegrass
Replied by pineinthegrass on topic Who gets the credit?
I'd give some credit to all administrations since Kennedy. But it's all the people who did the actual work who are responsible.

Hell, the initial credit could go to the Soviet Union for getting us serious about our space program.

03 May 2011 15:10 #5 by AspenValley

residenttroll wrote:

AspenValley wrote: The official White House website credits it as "one of the most dramatic events of his first term occurred in 1969, when American astronauts made the first moon landing."

AV, are you saying that Nixon should get the credit for the man on the moon? 280 plus tornadoes in 24 hour period was one of the most dramatic events in Obama's first term, but that doesn't mean we give him credit for them.

I'd say he is entitled to fairly limited credit as the moon project was practically complete when he took office and the moon shot would have happened with or without him.

If you're trying to say that is the same situation with Obama getting Osama bin Laden, I'd have to beg to differ. The prior administration had already put the priority to get bin Laden on the back burner. If Obama hadn't decided to make it a priority, Osama bin Laden might very well have continued to live it up in his mansion in Pakistan until he died of old age.

03 May 2011 15:14 #6 by Residenttroll returns

AspenValley wrote:

residenttroll wrote:

I'd say he is entitled to fairly limited credit as the moon project was practically complete when he took office and the moon shot would have happened with or without him.

If you're trying to say that is the same situation with Obama getting Osama bin Laden, I'd have to beg to differ. The prior administration had already put the priority to get bin Laden on the back burner. If Obama hadn't decided to make it a priority, Osama bin Laden might very well have continued to live it up in his mansion in Pakistan until he died of old age.

BOGUS!
Kennedy created the vision and Congress should get the credit...they funded NASA...just like the Afganistan and Iraq war.

Those democrats in office since 2006 did one thing right...kept funding the war - they kept Bushes vision....and Murtha was porking the war $ to his grave.

03 May 2011 15:22 #7 by Pony Soldier
Replied by Pony Soldier on topic Who gets the credit?
the United States of America gets the credit. Kennedy, Johnson and Nixon all get shares, but I'd give Knnedy and Nixon both an extra share.

03 May 2011 15:24 #8 by Residenttroll returns

towermonkey wrote: the United States of America gets the credit. Kennedy, Johnson and Nixon all get shares, but I'd give Knnedy and Nixon both an extra share.

What about Congress?

03 May 2011 15:28 #9 by Pony Soldier
Replied by Pony Soldier on topic Who gets the credit?
I wouldn't give Congress credit even if they deserved it.

03 May 2011 15:29 #10 by AspenValley

residenttroll wrote:

AspenValley wrote:

residenttroll wrote:

BOGUS!
Kennedy created the vision and Congress should get the credit...they funded NASA...just like the Afganistan and Iraq war.

Those democrats in office since 2006 did one thing right...kept funding the war - they kept Bushes vision....and Murtha was porking the war $ to his grave.

You didn't ask me who should get credit, you asked me if Nixon deserved any. My response was that he deserved very limited credit. How is that bogus?

As for the wars, here is my record on that.

I supported invading Afghanistan.
I opposed invading Iraq.
I supported continuing in both countries under both Bush and Obama as long as was necessary to stablize the situations, and I'm assuming that Congress saw it the same way since they continued funding it.
I do not consider my position, nor Congress funding our continued presence in Afghanistan and Iraq to be supporting "Bushes vision". More a case of we broke it, we own it, especially in the case of Iraq.
I do not see any evidence that either war directly contributed to bin Laden's death. From all accounts it appears to have been more a case of CIA and military intelligence working a very targeted investigation, with a very small military operation sent in to apprehend him that did it. In fact it more resembles a criminal investigation and SWAT team type apprehension than a war operation.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds