Obama spends $1.2 billion on cycling and walking

16 Jun 2010 23:32 #1 by conifermtman
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... tives.html

Spending on biking and walking projects rose from less than $600 million (£407 million) in 2008, according to the Federal Highway Administraion. Twenty years ago, the federal government was spending only $6 million a year on such projects. The spending on biking and walking projects was scheduled to rise last year anyway, but the administration boosted it with $400 million in funds set aside under the economic recovery program.

Please stop this madness :bash

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Jun 2010 06:59 #2 by FredHayek
Stimulus is the new spending. All spending is good because of the multiplier effect. (The debt it multiplies to future generations.)

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

17 Jun 2010 07:55 #3 by Wayne Harrison
You need to get out of your car more...

Survey shows Americans want more mobility options--
biking, walking, and transit should be in the mix

http://fastlane.dot.gov/2010/04/survey- ... c735d6970c

New report shows biking and walking gains

http://fastlane.dot.gov/2010/06/new-rep ... gains.html

Funding doubled for bicycling, walking projects

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration more than doubled transportation spending on bicycling and walking last year as it seeks to coax Americans out of their cars, according to a Federal Highway Administration report released Wednesday.

Spending on biking and walking projects rose from less than $600 million in 2008 to $1.2 billion in 2009. Twenty years ago, the federal government was spending only $6 million a year on such projects.

The spending on biking and walking projects was scheduled to rise last year anyway, but the administration boosted it with $400 million in funds set aside under the economic recovery program.

The new focus on biking and walking represents a turnaround from the administration of President George W. Bush. Mary Peters, transportation secretary under Bush, dismissed biking paths and trails as projects that "really are not transportation," saying they had no place in federal transportation policy.

17 Jun 2010 13:31 #4 by FredHayek
Actually after Cap & Tax, er, Cap & Trade passes, no one will be able to afford to drive their car anymore so most of our roadways can be converted to bike and ped traffic.
:biggrin:

17 Jun 2010 16:30 #5 by LOL

Wayne Harrison wrote: Survey shows Americans want more.....

Yes they do want more. Just another $1B in debt. So in theory this is borrowed money with a future interest payment that pretty much never ends. Ever.

I like bike and walking paths. Cities like Fort Collins, Seattle, Portland, and lots others have great systems. Just pay for it with State and Local funds, not debt. How about a 1% state excise tax on bike sales, let each state decide.

It seems more like a "nice to have" infrastructure project that a critical one. Like Interstate highway bridges.

Just my Opinion.

Signed,
Joe Taxpayer

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

17 Jun 2010 21:05 #6 by jf1acai
I guess I'm lost.

Why does the government have to spend $$ for me to be able to walk to the corner store? (whether it is within a block, or 5 miles)

I understand that in the winter time, it is difficult or impossible for some to be able to get outside and walk. And we don't all live in close proximity to the (rapidly fading) malls where you can get exercise indoors during inclement weather.

But, it it really a function of government to provide me with free exercise?

I don't think so.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

18 Jun 2010 12:45 #7 by FredHayek
Anyone else feel guilty walking on paved greenbelts? I walk them every week and appreciate the smooth surface and when the snowplow clears a path, but I am also just as happy walking along a ditch and it didn't cost my fellow taxpayers tens of thousands of dollars.

18 Jun 2010 17:13 #8 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Obama spends $1.2 billion on cycling and walking

conifermtman wrote: www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/north...ing-initiatives.html

Spending on biking and walking projects rose from less than $600 million (£407 million) in 2008, according to the Federal Highway Administraion. Twenty years ago, the federal government was spending only $6 million a year on such projects. The spending on biking and walking projects was scheduled to rise last year anyway, but the administration boosted it with $400 million in funds set aside under the economic recovery program.

Please stop this madness :bash

The federal government wipes it's ass with 1.2 billion..Thats pocket change..

Ops we just blew 1.2 billion in the mideast as I was posting this:
http://www.nationalpriorities.org/

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds