jobs, jobs, jobs

14 Jun 2011 18:39 #31 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic jobs, jobs, jobs

Wily Fox aka Angela wrote: I hear what you are saying, but the fall is too fast and everything crumbles in on itself -an implosion if you will. I don't think you can just pull the rug out from under everything and think the "water will find its level".

...and we are not going bankrupt. We are still the wealthiest nation out there and surviving the world-wide "recession/depression" better than most.

Well Wily, I hope your optimism is right. I have my doubts. First, I think people can survive without the (2 year) unemployment safety net easier than is assumed. I was flat broke in my 20's a couple times, and never looked to gov't for help. I survived and got tougher and smarter because of it.

Second, we are borrowing money out the wazzoo at interest rates under 1%. Future unknown interest payments on $14T are going to kill us, and we are not going to grow like we did in the 50's and 60's. The planet is too overcrowded and resources are getting limited and pricey. We boomed in the 50's and 60's re-building Europe, and we had cheap energy, and pollution was not even worried about. Not going to happen again. 2% GDP growth is limping along.

My plan is learn to fish, hunt and grow a garden. Good luck! :)

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Jun 2011 19:55 #32 by Wily Fox aka Angela
I agree, we are not going to see big growth again. TPaw talking about 5% growth if you elect him with no plan is absurd. We've never seen that kind of growth. We don't have a real plan as an entire country to grow. I do believe alternative energy can be the platform that can allow us to lead, but we are getting left behind again and it looks like China, of all countries, may take that lead. nuts.

If I am not prying, what decade were you in your 20's? I was in my 20's in the 70's. It was tough, but I did get by as well. I don't know the facts about inflation differences between costs then and now, but it does seem more expensive to live now.

14 Jun 2011 20:04 #33 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic jobs, jobs, jobs
I graduated HS in 76. College in 80, unemployed during the 81-82 recession. Back to college again until 86.

The 70s were bad too, I was working various min wage jobs thru HS and College. I know, college and working too, what was I thinking?

College is outrageous now. No more State support, have to pay for Medicaid and pensions instead. I do feel lucky to go to college in the 80s. I simply would not do it today.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

14 Jun 2011 20:09 #34 by Wily Fox aka Angela
everyone goes after the amounts that are paid with Medicare, Medicaid, Heathcare, etc. The real issue are the costs being charged, the system that reimburses for the number of services, instead of the outcome of care - taking 4 tests that are not needed because they get paid more. that should be the focus of reform. At least with Medicare, Medicaid, and Tricare, the costs are capped, so they actually pay less for your healthcare than private insurance. We have Tricare and it is very good insurance.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds