jobs, jobs, jobs

14 Jun 2011 13:54 #1 by archer
jobs, jobs, jobs was created by archer
So this is what the GOP meant by their campaign promise of jobs, jobs, jobs........they plan to eliminate as many jobs as they can.

According to Moody's chief economist Mark Zandi -- who the Washington Post reports "has advised both political parties" -- Republican plans to slash government spending will impact the GDP in such a way that would eliminate hundreds of thousands of jobs this year and the next.

From the report:

The House Republicans' proposal would reduce 2011 real GDP growth by 0.5% and 2012 growth by 0.2 percentage points This would mean some 400,000 fewer jobs created by the end of 2011 and 700,000 fewer jobs by the end of 2012.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011 ... hp?ref=fpb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Jun 2011 13:57 #2 by archer
Replied by archer on topic jobs, jobs, jobs
for those of you on the "other side", same source:

Republicans were nonplussed by the findings.
"The fact that a relentless cheerleader for the failed 'stimulus' -- which the Democrats who run Washington claimed would keep unemployment below 8 percent -- refuses to understand that ending the spending binge will help the private sector create jobs is sad, but not surprising," a spokesperson for House Speaker John Boehner told Bloomberg.

But the Moody's report is the second outside report in recent days to find that the Republican's slash-and-burn spending strategy (necessitated in part by pressure from the GOP's tea party wing) will slow the economy dramatically while it's still struggling to recover from the 2008 financial crisis.

I think the "nonplussed" means that Republicans really don't care what happens as long as they can keep the tea party activists happy until 2012.

14 Jun 2011 14:00 #3 by LadyJazzer
Replied by LadyJazzer on topic jobs, jobs, jobs
Sooner or later the public will wake up and figure out that cutting taxes DOESN'T create jobs. (A pleasant fantasy from the same folks that brought you the last recession.)

14 Jun 2011 14:08 - 14 Jun 2011 14:22 #4 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic jobs, jobs, jobs
Why do you think they call themselves "TALKING POINTS"?

Gotta get better than this tripe...
"Talking Points Memo is a USA web site covering Political News.
Launched on November 12, 2000, Talking Points Memo (TPM) is a liberal blog (web log) covering American politics and foreign policy. The website was created by Josh Marshall and is based in New York City. Marshall was an associate editor and Washington editor at The American Prospect magazine, working there from 1997 to 2001. He also wrote for The Atlantic, Salon.com and The New Yorker, among others. He started Talking Points Memo during the 2000 Florida presidential election recount.
This web site is owned by TPM Media LLC."

Talking Points Memo (or TPM) is a web-based political journalism organization created and run by Josh Marshall, journalist and historian covering issues from a "politically left perspective,"[2]. It debuted on November 12, 2000. The name is a reference to the memo (short list) with the issues (points) discussed by one's side in a debate or used to support a position taken on an issue[3].

14 Jun 2011 14:15 #5 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic jobs, jobs, jobs
Since Obama and the Dems lost 2 million jobs racking up the largest debt in world history, only losing a few hundred thousand jobs is nothing.
How many jobs did Obama create last time, 48K? So not only is he losing ground, Barack created massive debt to do it.
Obamanation, 9.1% unemployment and 18% real unemployment, but you keep pushing your Republican "jobs message." I am pretty sure Obama has been trying to create jobs too. Did you hear his latest scheme from Puerto Rico? Eliminate ATM machines, so more banks will have to open and employ people. Brilliant.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

14 Jun 2011 14:19 #6 by LadyJazzer
Replied by LadyJazzer on topic jobs, jobs, jobs
Bush was able to lose 3 million in 6 months... I realize that's a tough act to follow...

But then, Bush only created 2.5 million in 8 years...(While Clinton created 23.1 million in 8 years...) I guess as long as the top 1% keeps getting richer it doesn't matter, huh?

14 Jun 2011 14:26 #7 by AV8OR
Replied by AV8OR on topic jobs, jobs, jobs

LadyJazzer wrote: Bush was able to lose 3 million in 6 months... I realize that's a tough act to follow...

But then, Bush only created 2.5 million in 8 years...(While Clinton created 23.1 million in 8 years...) I guess as long as the top 1% keeps getting richer it doesn't matter, huh?

You ask me, I say we need to LOSE more jobs!

IN GOVERNMENT! Starting with the county!

14 Jun 2011 14:28 #8 by archer
Replied by archer on topic jobs, jobs, jobs

SS109 wrote: Since Obama and the Dems lost 2 million jobs racking up the largest debt in world history, only losing a few hundred thousand jobs is nothing.
How many jobs did Obama create last time, 48K? So not only is he losing ground, Barack created massive debt to do it.
Obamanation, 9.1% unemployment and 18% real unemployment, but you keep pushing your Republican "jobs message." I am pretty sure Obama has been trying to create jobs too. Did you hear his latest scheme from Puerto Rico? Eliminate ATM machines, so more banks will have to open and employ people. Brilliant.

Care to compare the last two years of losses under Bush to Obama......I thought not. But neither Obama nor Bush is the issue here......I sure don't recall Republicans campaigning on the platform that we're going to cut spending, but it's going to cost this country hundreds of thousands of jobs......do you?

I think the ATM idea is great....I'd always rather deal with a real person than an ATM machine, I don't use them, I always go into the bank and do my banking personally. Super idea!!!!!

14 Jun 2011 14:34 - 14 Jun 2011 14:58 #9 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic jobs, jobs, jobs
I know you lefties are going to hate this, but here is the pain that is necessary to get jobs created and unemployment down.

1. Immediate end to extended unemployment benefits > 6 months. Temporary welfare support for families only.
2. Immediate end to housing support. End Fannie/Freddie and get back to normal mortgages 10-20% down, market rates, excellent credit only. (Like Germany does)

Yes house prices will dive. The correct market price will be found and then buyers will step in. People underwater will finally all do the smart thing and walk away, free to move to another state and get a job. They will be better off than trying to save their permanently underwater mortgage. Rent for awhile. Move in with friends or family.

Its either that or stay the present course and go bankrupt as a country with anemic growth and massive deficits. We need a booming economy to get out of this hole.

Oh, and there are smaller things that could be done with job re-training and tax credits for small business, deregulation, etc. But the top 2 are the biggies.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

14 Jun 2011 14:43 #10 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic jobs, jobs, jobs
An unproductive job like a human teller is a drain on the economy. ATM's can be at your service 24/7 and only need a human a couple hours a week to refill the machine and take deposits. I prefer the future.
And actually Obama has lost more jobs than when "W" was POTUS. Plus home and other asset values have continued to fall faster under Barack than Bush. Not to mention the falling US dollar and increased inflation.

Does look like Obama can do it all, stagflation we haven't seen since President Carter. Maybe Clinton was just a lucky change from a string of economic illiterate Democrat presidents.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds