The Texas vs. California Example

14 Jun 2011 22:56 #1 by The Viking
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articl ... 10182.html

So what example should America follow, that of deficit-slaughtering, budget-cutting, seriously limited government in Texas, which has added 730,000 jobs in the past decade, or that of regulation-happy, spend-mercilessly, owe-everything, flee-this-place-quickly California, which has lost 600,000 jobs during the same period?

While not a hard question in a nation where unemployment recently shot up over 9 percent again and is dramatically expanding its unfunded entitlement promises on top of its accumulating debt, let's continue to look at some astounding facts about Texas after noting a much-repeated analysis of how it got there.

It has no state income tax, low corporate taxes, does just enough regulating to get the job done, cares for the environment without making a fetish of it, lets its legislature meet for a relatively short period just once every two years, keeps the executive branch slim and trim and is a right-to-work state where unions don't get to grab dues through governmental coercion.

Businesses love all that, varied researchers tell us. A number point out that, in 2008, Texas accounted for fully 70 percent of all new jobs created in America

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Jun 2011 23:47 #2 by archer
Lived there 12 years....felt like 50 .....have no plans to return, and would hate to see this country follow the examples of Texas....sure they created a lot of jobs....but at what cost? One of the worst education systems in the nation, the fewest high school graduates over the age of 25 in the nation....the #1 state for pollution, one of the highest sales taxes in the nation, the least family friendly state I have ever lived in......

If you want to read the stats on just how great a state Texas is, read their own legislative report
http://www.texaslsg.org/texasonthebrink ... ebrink.pdf

It doesn't paint a very pretty picture at all of where Texas is in relation to other states for it's citizens......

no thanks, please leave Texas to the Texans.

15 Jun 2011 04:51 #3 by outdoor338
Archer goes after Texas and yet says nothing about CA and how the libs destroyed that state, amazing!

15 Jun 2011 07:13 #4 by FredHayek
Will Texas be able to maintain this conservative haven in the wake of demographics? Many Hispanics, traditional Dem voters, have been making safe Republican districts much more competitive.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

15 Jun 2011 07:55 #5 by Nobody that matters

SS109 wrote: Will Texas be able to maintain this conservative haven in the wake of demographics? Many Hispanics, traditional Dem voters, have been making safe Republican districts much more competitive.

The entitlement attitude will take over Texas too. It's like a cancer.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

15 Jun 2011 08:10 #6 by OmniScience
Funny post, Archer. Just FYI for ya-

5 of the 6 most polluted cities in the U.S are in California.

Financially, California is a disaster.

Texas has a high sales tax because they have no state income tax.

-BTW, I lived in Texas for a short time and hated it.

15 Jun 2011 08:15 #7 by Rick
If Texas had the climate of California, I'd probably consider moving there.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

15 Jun 2011 08:15 #8 by Nobody that matters

OmniScience wrote: -BTW, I lived in Texas for a short time and hated it.

Did you hate the politics or the geography?

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

15 Jun 2011 08:19 #9 by billonthehill
You must have lived in Dallas. I spent 25 years of my life there in texas and 1 year in Cali. Between the two I'd go back to Texas not Cali.

A wise man keeps his mind open so that he may know when he is wrong.
Value your elders, They always have somthing to teach you.
The day I stop learning, Is the day I die! G.Mcf.W a man of his word.

15 Jun 2011 08:46 #10 by OmniScience

billonthehill wrote: You must have lived in Dallas. I spent 25 years of my life there in texas and 1 year in Cali. Between the two I'd go back to Texas not Cali.

Good guess - between Dallas and Ft Worth(less)

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds