Which way would you choose to be executed?

18 Jun 2010 21:08 #21 by stcroix2

Science Chic wrote: www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/descriptions-execution-methods
If it's done right, lethal injection shouldn't be painful. I hate needles, but pain too - I'd go with a blow to the back of the head, at the base of the skull, severing the spine resulting in immediate death. No knowledge it's coming means no anxiety.

Lethal Injection
Two needles (one is a back-up) are then inserted into usable veins, usually in the inmates arms. The first is a harmless saline solution that is started immediately. Then, the inmate is injected with sodium thiopental - an anesthetic, which puts the inmate to sleep. Next flows pavulon or pancuronium bromide, which paralyzes the entire muscle system and stops the inmate's breathing. Finally, the flow of potassium chloride stops the heart. Death results from anesthetic overdose and respiratory and cardiac arrest while the condemned person is unconscious. (Ecenbarger, 1994 and Weisberg, 1991). This lack of medical participation can be problematic because often injections are performed by inexperienced technicians or orderlies. If a member of the execution team injects the drugs into a muscle instead of a vein, or if the needle becomes clogged, extreme pain can result.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniper_rifle

One right in the brain stem, instantaneous death! The "target" of choice for snipers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Jun 2010 06:47 #22 by DrMike
old age and in my sleep!

19 Jun 2010 07:49 #23 by Sunshine Girl

The Viking wrote:

Wayne Harrison wrote:

TPP wrote:

pinedust wrote: If I wanted painless and quick, I would go for the guillotine.

The french believed that the brain would see & understand for 6-8 seconds, that why they would grab the head and show it to the crowds, to futher torment the beheaded.

In fact, a French doctor did a study where he called the name of the person to the "head" with closed eyes and noted that the eye's responded to the name and that went on for 6-8 seconds before the brain dies of oxygen starvation.

OK, that is freaky! Kind of like the chicken running around with it's head cut off. On my ex wife's family farm they had a chicken run around for over a day with it's head cut off. it had no clue where it was going and kept running into things. Very interesting to watch. We named it Obama. (Premonition) :biggrin:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I hate myself for laughing, but THAT WAS funny!

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

19 Jun 2010 23:02 #24 by ScienceChic

TPP wrote:

pinedust wrote: If I wanted painless and quick, I would go for the guillotine.

The french believed that the brain would see & understand for 6-8 seconds, that why they would grab the head and show it to the crowds, to futher torment the beheaded.

Yeah, they were soo smart back then. (Where's the :smirk: or :sarcastic: emoticon?! I need to pictorialize my sense of humor!) :wink:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3619714
Arch Neurol. 1987 Sep;44(9):948-54.
Electroencephalographic activity after brain death.
Grigg MM, Kelly MA, Celesia GG, Ghobrial MW, Ross ER.

Fifty-six consecutive patients clinically diagnosed as brain dead were seen at Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, Ill, from January 1984 through May 1986. Eleven (19.6%) of the 56 patients had electroencephalographic (EEG) activity following the diagnosis of brain death. The mean duration of the observed EEG activity was 36.6 hours (range, two to 168 hours). Regardless of activity on the EEG, none of the patients recovered.

Now for your science lesson of the day (I know, you've been waiting with bated breath!): It's all old-wives tales thinking that a person can "respond" to their name, or that their fingernails continue to grow, or whatever, after brain death. Fact is, nothing is instantaneous within the body. Once the heart stops beating, there will be a time lag before all the cells of the body, which are downstream in the pathway of life-support ceasing, to exhaust all their internal stores of energy and shut down all activity. Excitatory impulses will flow down neurons for a short time because all the "ingredients" are there for continued activity until depleted. Brain function continues for a short time as a result.

Saying a recently beheaded person's name, while actually just moving their head around, will cause specialized parts in their auditory canal to vibrate (passive action), which in turn stimulates the auditory nerve to send a signal to the brain (coupled to passive vibration - automatic response and if done within short enough time after beheading, there is enough neurotransmitter chemical in reserve to jump-start the impulse), that in turn connects to the vestibular system (controls balance and spacial orientation: http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Vestibular_system ) which is directly tied to the vestibulo-ocular reflex (because hearing is tied to balance which is tied to the sense of sight), and that triggers the eyes to move. Simple! Class is adjourned, you may return to your regularly scheduled, and much more fun, activities! :wave:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

20 Jun 2010 09:43 #25 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Which way would you choose to be executed?
I recently had to shoot an old dog in the head...Take my word on it people- You don't want to die that way.

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds