Which way would you choose to be executed?

18 Jun 2010 09:39 #1 by The Viking
Based upon the execution in Utah that just happened, where he chose to be executed by a firing squad, I was wondering if for some reason you were sentenced to the death penalty, and had a choice, which method would you choose?

Here is an article about all 8.

http://civilliberty.about.com/od/capita ... xecutions/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Jun 2010 09:40 #2 by The Viking
I was torn between lethal injection and the firing squad. I heard the lethal injection hurts like heck and takes a minute. The firing squad would be over within seconds.

18 Jun 2010 09:44 #3 by pinedust
If I wanted painless and quick, I would go for the guillotine.

18 Jun 2010 09:54 #4 by FredHayek
I think it shows a little old school class to be shot by the firing squad. I would be smoking w/o the blindfold looking the shooters in the face.

Little Known Fact: The press likes to make a big deal that one of the shooters has a blank, but most shooters can instantly tell if they are shooting a blank or a real bullet.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

18 Jun 2010 10:05 #5 by TPP

pinedust wrote: If I wanted painless and quick, I would go for the guillotine.

The french believed that the brain would see & understand for 6-8 seconds, that why they would grab the head and show it to the crowds, to futher torment the beheaded.

Besides think about it 1 .306 can take down a 6-7 hundred pound elk. 1 Shot 1 Kill. Yes, I always run up and double tap the elk JUST in case.
He was tired to a chair (still target) and had 4 rounds put in his heart, thought a target.

18 Jun 2010 10:47 #6 by The Viking

SS109 wrote: I think it shows a little old school class to be shot by the firing squad. I would be smoking w/o the blindfold looking the shooters in the face.

Little Known Fact: The press likes to make a big deal that one of the shooters has a blank, but most shooters can instantly tell if they are shooting a blank or a real bullet.

I wondered about that. How can they tell? If they have the same ammount of gun powder, then won't it feel the same?

18 Jun 2010 10:59 #7 by Nobody that matters
I voted other, cuz I'd choose to be executed by old age.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

18 Jun 2010 11:09 #8 by conifermtman

The Viking wrote:

SS109 wrote: I think it shows a little old school class to be shot by the firing squad. I would be smoking w/o the blindfold looking the shooters in the face.

I wondered about that. How can they tell? If they have the same ammount of gun powder, then won't it feel the same?

The bullet adds a certain amount of mass which impacts the recoil felt by the shooter.

18 Jun 2010 12:00 #9 by ScienceChic
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/descrip ... on-methods
If it's done right, lethal injection shouldn't be painful. I hate needles, but pain too - I'd go with a blow to the back of the head, at the base of the skull, severing the spine resulting in immediate death. No knowledge it's coming means no anxiety.

Lethal Injection
Two needles (one is a back-up) are then inserted into usable veins, usually in the inmates arms. The first is a harmless saline solution that is started immediately. Then, the inmate is injected with sodium thiopental - an anesthetic, which puts the inmate to sleep. Next flows pavulon or pancuronium bromide, which paralyzes the entire muscle system and stops the inmate's breathing. Finally, the flow of potassium chloride stops the heart. Death results from anesthetic overdose and respiratory and cardiac arrest while the condemned person is unconscious. (Ecenbarger, 1994 and Weisberg, 1991). This lack of medical participation can be problematic because often injections are performed by inexperienced technicians or orderlies. If a member of the execution team injects the drugs into a muscle instead of a vein, or if the needle becomes clogged, extreme pain can result.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

18 Jun 2010 12:21 #10 by Wayne Harrison

TPP wrote:

pinedust wrote: If I wanted painless and quick, I would go for the guillotine.

The french believed that the brain would see & understand for 6-8 seconds, that why they would grab the head and show it to the crowds, to futher torment the beheaded.

In fact, a French doctor did a study where he called the name of the person to the "head" with closed eyes and noted that the eye's responded to the name and that went on for 6-8 seconds before the brain dies of oxygen starvation.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds